Sign in to follow this  
joe_mcentire

Heroes - Confession to a skill system revolution?!

There are quite some threads about skill systems and so forth.

Although they seem to be rejected by a majority (yet), the implementation of the Hero is first of all an achievement. And therefore you get special perks. Some of you who already read these mentioned threads may now see that the worst of their fears found their way into the mod, most likely into the SA too.

So there seems to be a solid base of believers among the devs in a soft form of role playing part of dayz.

Or am i reading too much into it? Is it "just" a countermeasure to the bandits? What do you think?

also a recommendation as an addition to this thread: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118211-skill-system-in-dayz/

Edited by joe_mcentire

being a bandit makes you slower....being a hero makes you faster.....

There are quite some threads about skill systems and so forth.

Although they seem to be rejected by a majority (yet), the implementation of the Hero is first of all an achievement. And therefore you get special perks. Some of you who already read these mentioned threads may now see that the worst of their fears found their way into the mod, most likely into the SA too.

So there seems to be a solid base of believers among the devs in a soft form of role playing part of dayz.

Or am i reading too much into it? Is it "just" a countermeasure to the bandits? What do you think?

There is some truth to this, for example the other day one of my mates broke his leg and the first thought in my mind was NOT "he's hurt, let me help him", rather it was "OMG I need to get to him so I can get some humanity points and get the hErO sKiN". The OP has a legitimate point, If you add-in too many reward systems like that you will lose the realism and human moral/ethics struggle side of DayZ.

There is some truth to this, for example the other day one of my mates broke his leg and the first thought in my mind was NOT "he's hurt, let me help him", rather it was "OMG I need to get to him so I can get some humanity points and get the hErO sKiN". The OP has a legitimate point, If you add-in too many reward systems like that you will lose the realism and human moral/ethics struggle side of DayZ.

really good point there. Although a skill system would not seem so bad at first glance, I'm afraid it could break some magic inherent to the mod, and I don't want to lose that.

I for myself think all learning in the game should come from player and not some kind of skill system you have to grind or whatever. It is far more rewarding to master a hard system for say, a hard medical system with lots of diseases and having to know which med to use depending on the symptoms and maybe even make mistake and kill yourself/your patient, than having to do repetitively the same fuckin action til I get that medical skill +1 that will give +10% chance of success to my next bandaging and make the swallow of pills 0.0002s faster.

I for myself think all learning in the game should come from player and not some kind of skill system you have to grind or whatever. It is far more rewarding to master a hard system for say, a hard medical system with lots of diseases and having to know which med to use depending on the symptoms and maybe even make mistake and kill yourself/your patient, than having to do repetitively the same fuckin action til I get that medical skill +1 that will give +10% chance of success to my next bandaging and make the swallow of pills 0.0002s faster.

While I agree, I think "skills" adding value to a specific life would be good for the game.

Maybe not a "grind" to gain skills, but like finding a book that teaches you how to work on a car engine faster?

While I agree, I think "skills" adding value to a specific life would be good for the game.

Maybe not a "grind" to gain skills, but like finding a book that teaches you how to work on a car engine faster?

I'll take the same example : how much thrilling would it be if instead of just finding a book and magically having a +1 at repairing, you would have to learn some basic mechanics stuff from real life, that would be needed to repair the car? You could follow a wiki online (which would be slow) or if you want to get it done faster, memorize each step and train yourself, and after a while repairing cars and different vehicles you will not need the wiki anymore, and be so much faster and efficient than you were back at first try!

What I think of is pretty similar to Take on helicopters where if you don't learn the start process by clicking the right thing at the right time your chopper won't start properly.

I think a skill feature is not good for DayZ, because it just doesn't fit with the authenticity, the simulation parts of the original design.

indeed the hero skin + in running speed shows that the devs might want to touch the area of skill development.

Furthermore, in one interview half a year a go Rocket stated that they might go into that direction in the future.

indeed the hero skin + in running speed shows that the devs might want to touch the area of skill development.

Furthermore, in one interview half a year a go Rocket stated that they might go into that direction in the future.

do you have any link for this?

it would be nice to know how many heroes currently wander the vastness of Chernarus. this would be an affinity-indicator for "skill systems". and what is their drive?

afaik you get a speed-boost and some sort of kevlar armor (not sure about that one). So to keep it in perspective you get not only a perk for running but also also for "armory" or whatever you want to call it. They sound like überskills to me ;). Has anyone "experience" with heroes? can you tell immediatley their superiority, besides their unique skin?

Edited by joe_mcentire

there should be no heroes or bandits. There will be a clothing system in SA and i think people well dress appropriately to how they want to portray themselves. As for a skill system i don't believe its a must have to be an rpg. I mean the point is that youre role playing right? Idk though i just dont think there needs to be a huge intricate system but im not against it completely either.

I guess we'll find out. The only thing I know is [personally] "Skill Trees" and specific "Roles" completely ruin online gaming for me. There is nothing worse than hearing "we already have a dps, we need a healer", it makes me feel like a tool. Rather, If I want to be a mechanic then I will acquire the necessary tools, clothing, and knowledge to repair vehicles instead of choosing a specific "Mechanic" class when first creating my character.

• Like 1