broonskee

Imitating Zombie Walk

This is a bit out there...but anyway,

What if you could toggle(much like double tapping shift to walk/run) your player to imitate the limp slow zombie walk.

If it brought down your sight metre to zero to any zombie more than 5 metres away for example making you blend in, and once you got too close they could tell it was you a human...also it could trick a player who at first glance in crowded elektro or cherno etc. runs by you thinking your a zed, the give away being your gun on your back + backpack + clothes all of which would need a second look to confirm you are a player.

Again a bit out there but there you go.

thoughts?

• Like 5

I thought the Zeds went more by smell rather than sight i.e. they smelled / sensed you were undead rather than see you.

• Like 1

I thought the Zeds went more by smell rather than sight i.e. they smelled / sensed you were undead rather than see you.

This.

this depends, it would be realistic and i think this is a great idea but this depends on smell, whether zombies can smell and whether the scent of human flesh is dominant to zombies'

I would like this, but purely to fool players.

• Like 1

DayZ zombies dont 'smell'. there is no smell mechanic in game only vision and hearing.

Perhaps there could be a 'makeup' loot spawn that would allow you to paint your face and hands like zombies and also clothing spawns that are ripped and torn clothes so you could change your appearance to look like a zombie.

Ye true but that could be adjusted on what radius from the zombies kept you safe i.e. how close you had to bee for them too smell you. In any case you can crawl right by a zombie if your good enough so they're not concentrating too much on smell as it is.

heheh, yea. That would be fun - stash your gear somewhere, go into the city in stock clothes, shamble around safe from snipers.

heheh, yea. That would be fun - stash your gear somewhere, go into the city in stock clothes, shamble around safe from snipers.

Yeah, but would't players know when the real Zeds start attacking you. It might fool other players, but why should it fool the real Zeds. Based on the game mechanics, there will be Zeds around the player or if the player is stumbling around in a non Zed spawn location, then he will be immediately identified as a player.

Yeah, but would't players know when the real Zeds start attacking you. It might fool other players, but why should it fool the real Zeds. Based on the game mechanics, there will be Zeds around the player or if the player is stumbling around in a non Zed spawn location, then he will be immediately identified as a player.

But this is the point, like every 'tool' available to players in the game, its how you use those tools that make them effective/useless

• Like 1

Same, at a certain distance in a crowded city it already requires a close look to separate Zed from player.

Imagine the satisfaction of a player running right next to you because he's not paying enough attention.

• Like 1

I think it's more to trick players, really the only use of it.. But it would need zombies with player skins, and back packs to add to it. or else it's not going to fool anyone.

DayZ zombies dont 'smell'. there is no smell mechanic in game only vision and hearing.

Perhaps there could be a 'makeup' loot spawn that would allow you to paint your face and hands like zombies and also clothing spawns that are ripped and torn clothes so you could change your appearance to look like a zombie.

remember that this is a simulator, so this depends on whether zombies smell or not. the rest of their senses seem to work.

Edited by protectadin

I think it's more to trick players, really the only use of it.. But it would need zombies with player skins, and back packs to add to it. or else it's not going to fool anyone.

I understand that, but with the current game mechanics the Zeds spawn when a player is in an area. So there will be Zeds around a player pretending to be a Zed. Hence, why would the Zeds around the player not attack him? The Zeds go by sense/smell and will smell the pretending player.

If there are random Zeds walking around the entire map (i.e. 1-5/sq km etc) , then maybe an unarmed player will spare the pretending player, otherwise a lone Zed/lone pretending player will be terminated on site.

Edit:

Also, the Zeds can sense you through the smell of rotting flesh and other Zeds, so I think they can filter those smells.

Even in 28 days/weeks later the infected father is attracted to the living/quarantine room scene, without seeing them. Hence they would be mainly guided by other sense than sight, and smell seems the next logical sense.

Edited by Khoysta

I don't approve this. Maybe to trick players, but this would make sneaking around zombies useless.

I understand that, but with the current game mechanics the Zeds spawn when a player is in an area. So there will be Zeds around a player pretending to be a Zed. Hence, why would the Zeds around the player not attack him? The Zeds go by sense/smell and will smell the pretending player.

If there are random Zeds walking around the entire map (i.e. 1-5/sq km etc) , then maybe an unarmed player will spare the pretending player, otherwise a lone Zed/lone pretending player will be terminated on site.

Edit:

Also, the Zeds can sense you through the smell of rotting flesh and other Zeds, so I think they can filter those smells.

Even in 28 days/weeks later the infected father is attracted to the living/quarantine room scene, without seeing them. Hence they would be mainly guided by other sense than sight, and smell seems the next logical sense.

we are talking about the current game mechanics...not 28 days later. Players often crawl right by zeds at cras sites and such which eliminates your smell theory,in any case,if the smell mechanic was brought into it,again,it can be adjusted by the radius at which the zombie smells you(5m,10m etc) so you could keep out of the zeds way...and i dont think a pl;ayer is going to get suspicious at how far away from a zombie you are when your moving exactly like them...

There is no smell mechanic in the game. I often low crawl up to zeds in the dark with suppressed weapons and pop them in the heads. Heck even with the quieter unsuppressed. They walk right by players laying down pretty much 100% of the time. It may seem logical that scent would play a big part in zombie/infected behavior based upon our collective cultural understanding of what zombies might be but it just isn't a factor within the game engine as it currently stands. Could scent be a part of the SA? Maybe and I personaly think it would add to the difficulty of sneaking around in zombie infested areas. I'd love for the game to be harder!

As to the shambling like a zombie mechanic I'd say hells yeah! This would be perfectly merged with survivors becoming zombies themselves when killed. Since the tentative story line of the game as Rocket has laid it out seems to be similar in nature to that of The Walking Dead in that every survivor is already infected and once death occurs, from whatever means, it stands to reason that the infection would take hold and the newly dead survior would rise to torment other survivors. A survivor mimicking the walk of the zeds could fool other survivors since there might be zeds wearing survivor skins, ie looking like a survivor since a survior should have to die for a survivor zed to even be present; not zeds literally wearing the skin of a survivor! I hope what I'm trying to say there comes through in text... Any zed looking like a survivor would take more scrutiny to ascertain wether or not they are in fact a zed. To really make any of this viable it would most likely require the spawn dynamic to be changed, however. Survivor activity should necessarily cause zombies to spawn from further out. Zeds would need to have spawn triggers not associated strictly with structures/towns like they are now. Would require some metric to determine how long after a survivor dies in a particular spawn zone wether or not a survivor zed would even be present. This could actually be done easily by having any survivor zombie stay up and not despawn with a finite time-to-live. Can't have a server completely overrun with survivor zeds! Maybe limit the total survivor zeds at any given time to a max number where any new death despawns the oldest, provided a survivor isn't within so many meters. This can also limit a survivors ability to easily aquire gear that they somehow know is going to be at the location that they somehow remember previously dying at... Newly risen survivor zombies won't take a rifle with them. Instead they'll leave it on the ground or they may carry it some random distance and just drop it on the ground. And of course they don't have the presence of mind to politely leave any magazines with it. The rotten bastards! More zeds randomly located outside city zones is also a must for the SA in my opinion. It's currently just damn too safe out in the wilds! Zeds should also linger longer after a player has left an area. It's just silly that zombie presence is too easily tied to the immediate presence of another survivor.

All that to say, :thumbsup: to the op's idea. You sir gots me beans!

Edited by Poprocks

You can safely evade zombies right now by just crouching past them. I assume this mechanic is about fooling other players, rather than Zeds.

If you are careful enough, shambling wouldn't make you more noticeable to zombies than crouching.

In the SA clothes will be more diverse, meaning you can easily blend in. Of course you'll have to stash some of your gear elsewhere - a hatchet in your hands and an ALICE pack will definately blow your cover. Though zombies clothing should be random also, including civic backpacks.

Edited by WiFiN

Ive thought of this for fooling players, but if it worked on zombies it would pretty much just be a "press X to avoid zombies".

Argreed. Often when I want to get from point a to point b but I don't want to get shot I drop my pack *if it has nothing in it and is not valuable* and crawl there. People think I am just a zambie!

This

I thought about this idea one day sitting in electro being pinned down by a sniper, It would be a great idea. only thing though would be that you'de have to lose your backpack before you started doing it or your just a walking bullseye lol.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY IDIOTS SAYING "I TOT THEY SMELLED YOU AND THATS WHY THERE IS A EAR AND EYE" NO they don't the see and hear you now stop posting such stupidity

I would like this and the smell thing doesn't come to play because:

-They are infected people, not zombies

-They meters are for Sight and Sound

-It could work by the can detect you from a close distance

So you, I would love this in the game...please rocket.

Edit: Oh and they word "zombie" has been proven...flexible.

Edited by MacabreLlama99