TIC

Ideas for Hunting/New Equipment for Standalone

Making it possible.  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Would you believe this would be great for surviving in DayZ?

• Yes
    • No

I want to be able to craft clothing out of the animals I kill using their hides.

• Like 1

I'm surprised I haven't seen horses mentioned yet. Being able to saddle or ride a horse bareback(with varying degrees of success based on how wild the horse is and how much you've fed it/trained it) would be pretty awesome. As a general rule horses are quieter than motorized vehicles. Would be nice to be able to tie him up somewhere by the reigns if you dont wanna take him into the city.

I'm surprised I haven't seen horses mentioned yet. Being able to saddle or ride a horse bareback(with varying degrees of success based on how wild the horse is and how much you've fed it/trained it) would be pretty awesome. As a general rule horses are quieter than motorized vehicles. Would be nice to be able to tie him up somewhere by the reigns if you dont wanna take him into the city.

Rocket has confirmed that horses will be in the Standalone.. Last time I heard (about 5 months ago) was that they were acting like how cars were.. Stiff animations and such. We'll definitely see horses. Just not sure what role they'll play in for storing equipment though. I'd definitely like to have a dog and a horse with me :P

• Like 1

M8 if you real like suggesting stuff on the forums about hunting I suggest you watch Yukon men for inspiration it has the worst animal cruelty I've ever saw in a TV show and all they do is hunt with traps and guns and hit wolverines on the head with logs or strangle lynx's with a snare on a stick. But something that's cruel in real life is fun on a game, but these Yukon men do this for food not for sport or they starve and will have to eat there sled team(dogs) so that slightly justifies it but there just a bunch of freaks living like that when they could live a animal killing free life if they choose. But would be fucking awesome if you could do they stuff they do in dayz http://www.letmewatc...34770-Yukon-Men use the putlocker/sockshare/sharesix links and never download just stream

Edited by jona

M8 if you real like suggesting stuff on the forums about hunting I suggest you watch Yukon men for inspiration it has the worst animal cruelty I've ever saw in a TV show and all they do is hunt with traps and guns and hit wolverines on the head with logs or strangle lynx's with a snare on a stick. But something that's cruel in real life is fun on a game, but these Yukon men do this for food not for sport or they starve and will have to eat there sled team(dogs) so that slightly justifies it but there just a bunch of freaks living like that when they could live a animal killing free life if they choose. But would be fucking awesome if you could do they stuff they do in dayz http://www.letmewatc...34770-Yukon-Men use the putlocker/sockshare/sharesix links and never download just stream

Things portrayed in real life is definitely more of a disturbing image that I don't think would represent the game good or build a reputation on it on its own.. It depends on how the animals would react to these traps. If they just instantly just died without a sound or just somehow made the trap failed, then that's when I think the game would be good enough without having any controversy.

I added in the potential of lead poisoning from animals being shot by a firearm containing lead bullets.

Just to add the OP, perhaps residential houses (and hunting stands of course) have a chance to spawn Deer musk gland tinctures or deer urine. Applying these to yourself can have pros and cons. 

Pros: Allow you to approach deer more easily. Probably key for hunting with a bow or crossbow.

Cons: Zeds aggro range is increased if you go into a city without washing it off

To wash it off, simply right click a water source (canteen, water bottle, water well) and select "wash off deer tincture/urine".. or simply wade into a pond.

Just to add the OP, perhaps residential houses (and hunting stands of course) have a chance to spawn Deer musk gland tinctures or deer urine. Applying these to yourself can have pros and cons. 

Pros: Allow you to approach deer more easily. Probably key for hunting with a bow or crossbow.

Cons: Zeds aggro range is increased if you go into a city without washing it off

To wash it off, simply right click a water source (canteen, water bottle, water well) and select "wash off deer tincture/urine".. or simply wade into a pond.

I'll keep a hold of this for now; it just depends how well the AI will become attracted by an item like that.

• Like 1

Hello i was just reading trough this post and i think OP has good idea, but someone earlier mentioned booby traps and granade fishing so i had an idea that.

1)

There could be a mine in the map somewhere where you could find dynamite sticks im not sure if i read that some one suggested under ground bases so maybe dynamite would be good for making those as well. that was one idea heres another :D

2)

you know bullets have some explosive in them IDK what and im not sure if there is any, but some how i seem to think so.... so maybe you could like collect all bullets you find and some bottle etc. to make explosives that i coud use for booby traps for players and as a way to fish and mine.

And perhaps you could have very low power guns airguns i dont mean airsoft but kinda like it (air rifle  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun)  those wouldn't kill a player or a deer, but something that would kill a bird or a squirrel.

And a question i would like to end my maybe pointles reply is that in real hunting takes a long time several hours to get a kill will it be forth it in game? if the game is realistic it would maybe take a long time to get a catch with small threat to be killed by players or do you just goto berezino loot the hole place with a bit of a risk but save several hours and maybe get some more loot?

a lot of typos but these are just some ideas i had about this topic, pls no hate if i went too far with the explosives

Edited by jaakkkko
  • Like 1

1: Underground bases will be covered on another related topic.

2: Perhaps since gunpowder was the first chemical explosive and it was the only known as an explosive until around the 1800's since it contains a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrates. Using bottles as an improvised explosive for fishing with wouldn't work out, perhaps pipes to use as a pipe bomb would be better since they are more dense and would drop deeper in any body of water but has a higher chance of it being defused if dropped in the water. I'm not sure if using gunpowder would contaminate the proteins of the fish but there are other alternatives to use it as fishing bait like canned goods (Corn kernels, sausage)

• Airsoft weaponry would be perfect, like BB guns to hunt for small game. That's something I'll be adding in shortly.

Hunting for an amount of time really depends on how well they do the AI for the animals and how skilled you are at the knowledge of hunting and the techniques you use dependently so all that will depend on how long that'll take you to claim your animal game.

Traps would be a good alternative to leave aside for an animal to be attracted while you have other things to do like wanting to go loot for the items you need for yourself; makes better time than waiting around for an animal.

Edited by TIC321

Added now.  :thumbsup:

Edited by TIC321

How fast will we be able to fire the recurve bow?

You can fire a couple arrows a second if you're good.