Gruso (DayZ)

I made a page full of DayZ resource links to run in the Steam overlay browser

I posted this to /r/dayz last night, and I've had a fantastic response so far. Hopefully some folk here find it just as useful.

Backstory: I've had the dayzdb.com map set as my Steam browser home page for a few months. It's been very handy, but there are a heap of other DayZ resources that are nice to have available too. Steam's lack of browser bookmarking makes life a little difficult, so I created my own little page of links. The result: www.dayzoverlay.com

WywyE.jpg

The actual overlay page is here: http://www.dayzoverlay.com/mod/

You can set it as your browser homepage via Steam menu -> Settings -> In Game tab.

There are some Google text ads at the bottom, which I was encouraged to add. No fan of ads, me, but hopefully they'll cover hosting & Mountain Dew costs. I put the least intrusive ones in that I could.

I will keep developing it, to cater to any different resources that arrive for the standalone, and perhaps even pages customised to some of the different communities out there. Taking suggestions and criticism of course!

This is nothing without the hard work of the DayZ community, who have put so much effort into all these resources. A big thanks to all of you. Enjoy. :-)

Edited by Gruso
  • Like 20

Not Bad. I might use steam to lauch DayZ for once :P

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the steam overlay NEVER works for me. For whatever reason, whilst scrolling, it'll randomly start opening and closing itself rapidly, before finally just closing until I open it again. It will keep randomly doing this.

• Like 1

Nice work and definitely good for the newbies :beans: As for running anything through steam for someone like myself :emptycan:

• Like 1

Weird Rage, never heard of such problem during these days. Anyways, thanks for this, I usually start Arma 2 via Steam so this is just great for us steam launchers.

• Like 1

Awesome! I never get the overlay to work but this is a nice quick reference page. Greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, all :) Minor tweaks today: Prettied up the thumbnails and page layout a little, and massaged the ammo chart so it's a bit friendlier to view in the Steam browser.

Unfortunately, the steam overlay NEVER works for me. For whatever reason, whilst scrolling, it'll randomly start opening and closing itself rapidly, before finally just closing until I open it again. It will keep randomly doing this.

Weird! Some reading seems to suggest (although it's pretty thin information) that Steam will close the overlay if it thinks there are stability issues with the game. Apparently it can do this if there are heavy CPU spikes. Does this happen in all games or just Arma/Dayz? How's the load on your CPU?

Another long shot, make sure you're not opted in to Steam betas. This caused all sorts of nasty issues for me the other day (crash when joining chat room, etc).

I'm not opted in for any betas, and it happens when I merely play Garry's Mod, in the main menu when browsing the workshop.

*bump*

I did some updates to DayZ Overlay on the weekend. There are now special overlays for DayZero and Origins. Hope these are of use to someone!

I'm also looking for some advice. The ammo chart is out of date (albeit still useful) and I'd like to expand on the mildots link with a more comprehensive guide to ranging & sniping. Preferably in the form of nice tables/graphics that I could incorporate into a single quick-reference page. Will trade beans and non-creepy love for any suggestions.

Happens the same to me. I thinks it's due to the low fps.

I've added a new quick reference guide to scoped rifles (and HE rounds B)). http://www.dayzoverlay.com/scopes/

Screenshot:

VPJcx73l.png

I ended up throwing this together myself, based on a heap of guides done by others, along with some of my own testing. There always seems to be a bit of difference and debate around ready reckoners like this, so I've just had to go with the numbers I believe to be correct. It's already been added to the vanilla mod & dayzero overlays.

[edit] Some corrections are required (thanks reddit). I'll do some updates on the weekend.

Edited by Gruso
  • Like 1