Sign in to follow this  
WalBanger

Zombie instances (Walking Dead Prison experience)....

Rocket isn't putting in an underground base. He is allowing players to create their own bases, which will be "underground" (instanced) so as to save on server load.

What you are describing does indeed sound very like an instanced dungeon. Which is exactly not what is being implemented, and exactly what I feel would be against the ethos of the game.

Edited by Dankine

I think we are being trolled.

If so, people have really lost sight of what trolling actually is.

I think we are being trolled.

You for real? I come up with an idea that I love and would love to take part in after seeing it on walking dead, and you come along ripping my idea apart saying you are hard done by because you have no friends....... Get lost you idiot, I'm the one getting trolled by you if anything!!

Can't be arsed talking to you any more....

Edited by WalBanger

I make posts and you reply with somthing tottaly different to what I said, your trolling me. I did not rip your idea apart I disagreed with it.

A perfect example would be "saying you are hard done by because you have no friends......" where do I say this? I have freinds.

Now your being very offencive and rude.

Edited by ow1

Rocket isn't putting in an underground base. He is allowing players to create their own bases, which will be "underground" (instanced) so as to save on server load.

What you are describing does indeed sound very like an instanced dungeon. Which is exactly not what is being implemented, and exactly what I feel would be against the ethos of the game.

He's also making them instances so people can't " teleport" into the middle of the base by going to that location on another server...

The above examples you gave underground base and underground instanced...... I don't see the difference there....

Let me ask you to clear something up for me:-

Do you not like the idea of a team of people working together to search and clear an area?

Or do you not like the idea it's instanced?

Or something else?

He's also making them instances so people can't " teleport" into the middle of the base by going to that location on another server...

The above examples you gave underground base and underground instanced...... I don't see the difference there....

I didn't say there was a difference in those two terms. I said what you said, "rocket is putting in underground bases," isn't technically true (at least not in the way it seems you are inferring). You appear to have the misapprehension that this could include things like your base clearing scenario, when that is entirely false.

Let me ask you to clear something up for me:-

Do you not like the idea of a team of people working together to search and clear an area?

Or do you not like the idea it's instanced?

Or something else?

I do like the idea, if that arises "naturally" within the confines of the DayZ world, then fantastic. My point is that I don't think you will get an experience like the one you are advocating without specifically setting it up. Which isn't what this game is about. As I've repeatedly said.

Edited by Dankine
  • Like 1

So what are the bases supposed to be like? I pictured them to be like the UFO bases but a bit more scary (as in run down, damp) areas that you can build extra areas as you get materials etc... And you can add extra security features like cameras, locked gates, automated defended etc??

I'm glad you like the idea... And that's what I meant by "it has to be done correctly".... And that's why I only came up with the "RAW" idea and didn't write down everything in stone in great detail......

I just want to do things like the prison clearing so you can own that area....

We already do some thing like this when we go searching in the big city's... But you don't "own" anything after it and as soon as you kill the zombies they come back.... No real satisfaction in it.

So what are the bases supposed to be like? I pictured them to be like the UFO bases but a bit more scary (as in run down, damp) areas that you can build extra areas as you get materials etc... And you can add extra security features like cameras, locked gates, automated defended etc??

what are "the ufo bases" ?

from what it sounds like the vision is a sort of underground community. growing food, possibly a weapons "shop" for repair and maintenance, possible ways to defend your base (electronics and hacking them was mentioned), a possible spawn point once the base is developed enough. a place to keep your shit, a place to defend, and a place to be attacked.

I'm glad you like the idea... And that's what I meant by "it has to be done correctly".... And that's why I only came up with the "RAW" idea and didn't write down everything in stone in great detail......

I just want to do things like the prison clearing so you can own that area....

We already do some thing like this when we go searching in the big city's... But you don't "own" anything after it and as soon as you kill the zombies they come back.... No real satisfaction in it.

This is exactly my point, I don't think it will ever arise naturally in the DayZ world, and as such I don't think it fits well into the game.

Edited by Dankine

UFO bases= http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/xcom_base.gif

You never seen this before? And you can build and expand as needed and you have the resources.... (In UFO u expand in the square areas provided).....

So as you can see they can spread in what ever direction you want and you can have open areas or tunnels.....

Edited by WalBanger

UFO bases= http://www.shamusyou...s/xcom_base.gif

You never seen this before? And you can build and expand as needed and you have the resources.... (In UFO u expand in the square areas provided).....

So as you can see they can spread in what ever direction you want and you can have open areas or tunnels.....

Are you being for real right now? How can you think something like that would make this game good? If you wanna make a base and defend it etc go play Garrys Mod.

This is a zombie survival sandbox not a dungeon crawler/rts game! Adding areas to clear out and being able to make defending areas underground with electric gates and cameras etc is just stupid. If a zombie apocalypse happened in real life, id love to see you scramble together the parts and power needed to run electric doors and CCTV. Even more so your on a highly vegetated island which a few towns and mostly forest, your not in New York City. A post apocalyptic soviet island wouldn't even have CCTV or electric gates etc in the first place before zombies attacked never mind building them from the ground up with no power etc.

Your idea is invalid to the development of the game.

Edited by The Shadow

This thread has gone through all levels of <insert correct word here>.

Anyways I like the idea of zombie instances, I also like the idea of underground base instances. Combining the two sounds like a nice idea. I watch Walking Dead very often, I remember those first few episodes of Season 3 very well and, though I never thought of associating those mechanics and playstyles into DayZ, I will say I am intrigued, but I doubt anything like this will happen in the near future to DayZ Mod or even the Standalone and it's alpha/beta/full game.

Are you being for real right now? How can you think something like that would make this game good? If you wanna make a base and defend it etc go play Garrys Mod.

This is a zombie survival sandbox not a dungeon crawler/rts game! Adding areas to clear out and being able to make defending areas underground with electric gates and cameras etc is just stupid. If a zombie apocalypse happened in real life, id love to see you scramble together the parts and power needed to run electric doors and CCTV. Even more so your on a highly vegetated island which a few towns and mostly forest, your not in New York City. A post apocalyptic soviet island wouldn't even have CCTV or electric gates etc in the first place before zombies attacked never mind building them from the ground up with no power etc.

LOL LOL LOL...... Instead of telling me to go play another game, if you don't like this idea, YOU really need to go find another game.... Why I hear you ask??

Because that example I gave you of underground bases in the UFO style/format with defences etc IS GOING TO HAPPEN

How do I know?

Because Rocket said so!!! And I think he has a bit more power of the game than you do.... But I could be wrong?

P.S have you seen the program's I'm talking about? Because when I saw that I thought I would love to be able to do that in this game, hence why I think something like this would make the game good.....

Edited by WalBanger

Erm, there will be bases, player built underground (instanced) bases. Almost certainly with power, at least intermittent power. As for cctv and the like, who knows.

UFO bases= http://www.shamusyou...s/xcom_base.gif

Nah I didn't like the xcom games when they first came out.

I think you'll probably start with what amounts to a hole in the earth, and be able to reinforce and lay floors and the like. Have different rooms with different purposes and defences of various types.

Edited by Dankine

Nah I didn't like the xcom games when they first came out.

I think you'll probably start with what amounts to a hole in the earth, and be able to reinforce and lay floors and the like. Have different rooms with different purposes and defences of various types.

Ya...

And I don't think there is a HUGE difference between building these bases and having a "pre built" base that you have a walking dead prison experience :-)

Ya...

And I don't think there is a HUGE difference between building these bases and having a "pre built" base that you have a walking dead prison experience :-)

There is a massive difference between giving players the tools to make and defend their own bases and setting up what amounts to a "zombie ride" in the game,

Back to the "it's a sandbox" argument.

Edited by Dankine

I don't get your sandbox argument?

Sandbox means you don't have to do this to carry on in the game? just like you don't have to go to helicopter crash sites?

It might be me being thick but I don't understand ur point? Please explain

I don't get your sandbox argument?

Sandbox means you don't have to do this to carry on in the game? just like you don't have to go to helicopter crash sites?

It might be me being thick but I don't understand ur point? Please explain

I just don't think that setting up (the critical part of the argument) an experience like this is faithful to the vision of dayz and sandbox games in general. The whole problem, as I've repeatedly said is that, to me at least, seems like it couldn't happen "naturally" in the dayz world.

Don't get me wrong, it would be fun/scary/etc but just not in the DayZ world imo.

Edited by Dankine

Like I said it is probably me being thick....

But why couldn't there be a prison or an underground facility with zombies in it???

When you saw the walking dead episode.... Did you think "well that's BS, a prison full of prisoners "?

P.S I appreciate you talking to me about this, I'm surprised no one else is talking on this topic..... I got 3 people who gave me beans for the idea (but none posted) 1 other guy who likes the idea, you and an idiot who thinks I'm trolling :-/

Edited by WalBanger