Sign in to follow this  
khaenz

Starting background and history?

In my opinion, DayZ should let us have a starting background, which determines where we spawn, what we spawn with and also how much blood, humanity, hunger, thirst you would spawn with.

It would work like this: when you are at spawning screen, you can choose a gender, but then some questions will be asked after that, such as "Did you live in a city, town, village or in the wilderness before the apocalypse?" and "What was your job before the apocalypse?"

After answering those, you have a chance to spawn in random areas in the wilderness, any of the 3 cities (Berezino, Cherno and Electro) or towns, villages etc.

And depending on your job, you will start with a kit. Like a police kit, where you have a high chance to start with weapons, or a hobo kit for the hardcore players and so on.

Now to make it balanced, there would be a chance to either spawn with low blood, bleeding (So that you have to quickly run to find bandages) or critical hunger/thirst. Each job would have different chances of this happening, such as a military job would have a high chance to spawn you bleeding and at 4000 blood, but you could spawn with an assault rifle such as an AK-74.

Whereas a job as a lumberjack would have a chance to spawn with a hatchet and also have a high chance of being healthy.

There's also one choice called "Surprise me." where you have random everything.

Oh, and this should optional for servers.

Good idea or not?

• Like 1

Might take away from the good old "start-from-scratch" feeling DayZ provides all of us. I think it would be a nice feature for server owners to impliment, as they are already able to let you spawn with gear. I just think some people would prefer that bandits don't spawn near them with an AK while they are left defenceless and unarmed. Could potentialy be overpowered if you have a clan/team.

I think the idea sounds fairly nice but IMHO it would need a lot of alterations. I do not think guns at spawn would work. What I would like to see would be subtle details like the type of clothes you spawn with and yes, maybe some hunger etc. But also remember that it should not be too difficult at the beginning because new players must be able to get into the game without bleeding out in 5 minutes.

That will make some players better than others at start, and as jimmy said, make your own.