Sign in to follow this  
foke

Making Bases? Ideas and Tools

These suggestions are a little far-fetched and are intended for the further developpement of the Standalone. Those are the things that I would want to be added for making bases.

I think that items such fencing, barbed wire, metal panes, poles, ladders, locking systems, batteries/electrical generators, lights, gates/doors, and electrical wiring would be useful for making bases.

The fencing would be rolled up and can be arranged between poles. Barbed wire can be used as a barricade or to prevent people from using a ladder to leap over the fencing.

Metal panes can be made from salvaging scap metal and can be used as a barricade or to make walls. Ladders could be used to go over obstacles (maybe be used to get on top of small buildings) or can be used to access down or up vertical obstacles(underground or elevated bases?).

Locking systems can be found or crafted from metal and wiring. They could vary from mechanical ones or electronic ones. The mechanical version would be built from scrap metal and could be picklocked using a kit. The electrical one would be made by electrical wiring and scrap metal where the combination could be a word/number. The locks would be used to lock gates and doors. Batteries and generators could be used to power lights or charge whatever electronic item. The generator would consume fuel and the batteries would be scavenged.

Lights would be a loot item and can be placed on poles or walls. They would be powered by generators/betteries/solar panels. They can be used for lighting indoors or placed on top of poles. Gates/Doors would be used as a mean of access into bases and could be locked. Electrical wiring could be used to connect batteries/genrators to elctrical items.

We should be given the possibilty to build above ground, on the ground or below ground. We could use trenches and digging tools to fortify and create our bases.

Edited by foKe

Underground base-building was already suggested by a dev(?) on the Russian side of the forums several months ago. This included using a shovel and anywhere between a minute to 20 minutes of digging, to create a hole between the size of your backpack and 6x8 meters, which could then be covered up and locked. The bigger holes were also supposed to be enterable, with a rather large box inside which could be used as storage space.

I don't want underground building, it just adds more land mass and creates this stupid instanced off area that ruins the seamless experience.

Why can't we just build bases using prefabs? All they have to do is say you cannot build in cities so we don't get the whole blocking buildings off thing.

Electrically working items are possible. Mods have been made in this direction. One of them, my favourite by far if maybe a bit buggy, simulates power-grids wholly. It works as well as a map is made, of course.

Chernarus works well it it because pretty much everything is hooked. But the point is that it can be done.

As for building materials and building in general, I like the easy pickup-tow-store-place system from Wasteland (they didn't invent it, hold your horses, I know). A bit of reworking and it would work VERY well, I think, with DayZ.

Not underground, PVP is pretty limited on most servers, adding another level makes it even less likely.

However I do support forts like The town "Woodbury" in TWD

More construction material would be cool if it could be accomplished.... my suggestion camo sandbags, I can't tell you how many camps I've raided because someone spent a few days putting sandbags up all over the place. Honestly why man, why?