thodouras95

Real...I mean, REAL heli crash sites for SA

First of all, let me say that I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea how this could be made, as it would probably need a whole lot of things.I certainly do believe that it's worth to be read, though.

First, check this out:

Now, tell me: Since some choppers actually make it to the ground after being disabled, how about a new crash system?1.Instead of helis just coming down and getting blown up even with a slight touch to the ground, they can get severely damaged and deformed.2.The passengers and the crew will receive damage too, but their death will not be necessary.Instead, it will depend upon the impact force (maybe the survival of the chooper itself and the passengers upon impact should be determined by the altitude or something, I dunno).3.The survivors will have to get out of the wrecked hull of the chopper, which will be possible, but will take some more time than the standard boarding in a perferctly functional heli.4.Sometimes, they might even need help.5.In the end, all that will be left will be the wrecked chopper, from which 6.smoke may be trailing.Whatever was in the chopper will still be there, 7. but some of the equipment may have fallen out in the nearby grass, or 8. may have been destroyed.Nevertheless, most of the equipment will remain in the helicopter, and will be fully lootable.9.On some occasions, random loot may spawn inside, or around the chopper.

In case you're wondering, the numbers in bold aim to show that each one of these is a separate suggestion and, although they are all part of one greater idea, you can vote for each one individually, or say yes/no to the whole thing.

I've seen several ideas get denied by the entire community, so, although none of these was mine, I've gotten used to it.Feel free to say any thoughts you may have on these tiny suggestions.

Some crashes to give you an idea:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/780144/thumbs/r-HELICOPTER-CRASH-PINCHER-CREEK-large570.jpg

• Like 2

Well, yeah, in an air crash, there are sometimes survivors. But the thing is that we don't want NPCs apart from zombies. So, I can't see how this could affect gameplay...

Also, consider the option that the helicopter didn't crash because he was hit, or due to an important instrumental failure, but because one of the passengers, or the pilot, became zombies.

Maybe the possibility that the pilot made it, and the helicopter received low damage, so you could fix it.

It would also be cool if you could see the zombies trapped in the crashed helicopter, trying to scape to kill you.

Edited by Mitor

I'm not sure if you're talking about AI helos or player flown helos. If you mean player flown helos I think most of what you are asking for is already in the game. Whether or not a disabled helo makes it to the ground in a survivable way largely depends on the skill of your pilot.

For example checkout the crash at about 3:30 in this ARMA video for some amazing piloting. Stay tuned for some nice piloting before the crash and a Blackhawk Down style clusterfuck following it. They are running some mods but I think the basics are all in the stock game.

I think it would be cool if you were in the middle of chernarus, and you look up in the air and you see a helicopter crashing, maybe because the pilot got infected or something. You may see the helicopter go down and crash a mile away from your current location, and you have to walk a mile to find it. Of course, there will be some npc military zombies, but i think at crashed helicopters, most of the crew should of died at impact.

Bringing this from a thread over;how about NPC controlled helicopters doing tours of the map for a limited period of time before flying off?

In addition to a few actual, old fashioned, crash-sites, player-input (shooting the bastards out of the sky) would be needed to create more crash sites.

Could be a good excuse to bring the odd launcher back into DayZ. The Strela/Igla could do a fine work.

Heck, AIs can sometime land disabled helos, so all the better for quick-witted players.

I've never liked the concept of spawning heli crash-sites. They are just there from the get-go or they pop in, like that, as time goes on. There's nothing much that would make a helo crash bar getting shot down.

I believe the loot will be inside the chopper in SA. Just like in the buildings.

well this should be defenitely possible with player helicopters, i mean if you already add the TOH mechanics, then you should aswell be able to survive a crash and only damage the helicopter if the crash wasnt so severe

You can crash land a helicopter and survive, its hard but it can be done.

I would love to be walking through a forest or town and hear a chopper with smoke and crash, all NPCs would be dead but it will make players think...was that a NPC or Player crash chopper?

maybe the crash could be caused by an infected onboard and when you reach the site the crew are dead, surrounded by loot and having their intestines fed upon by the infected :P

I vote up for that. I don't think "random loot" is a good idea, but the whole concept is juicy. especially the "needs help" part.

Also:

• Some of the helicopter parts should be salvageable.
  • It can catch fire and explode some time later
  • Smoke and impact noise should attract zombies.
  • mounted weapons should have a chance to be still usable

P.S. Reorganize your post using bullets like I did. It will make reading easier.

Wow, didn't expect that many replies :P

Anyway, first off, let me say that:

-The choppers are supposed to be player-flown, not by NPCs.But if this idea gets some popularity and reaches rocket's door, well, I'd have no problem with NPCs flying n crashing.But the original concept is: no crash sites/some crash sites already in the game (as in current dayz), and players essentially create more and more crash sites each time they crash a helo.

-Well, the current system really isn't bad, but IMHO, what I've always disliked about most such games is that if you are to crash, it's either gonna be too soft (rough landing, like hitting the brakes in a speeding car), or you're just...dead (KABOOM).What I wish to suggest is something in between.Something that does render the chopper useless, but also something whose wreckage actually look like a helicopter.You know, like the image I linked, with a rather deformed body, some smoke maybe, rotor pieces all over the place, and a banged up tail.Neither the subatomic particles that once used to make up a chopper, nor the intact machine that looks like it just had a tiny accident.Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone has done this before, but I think it's something completely new, hope I explain it well enough.

-

I'm not sure if you're talking about AI helos or player flown helos. If you mean player flown helos I think most of what you are asking for is already in the game. Whether or not a disabled helo makes it to the ground in a survivable way largely depends on the skill of your pilot.

For example checkout the crash at about 3:30 in this ARMA video for some amazing piloting. Stay tuned for some nice piloting before the crash and a Blackhawk Down style clusterfuck following it. They are running some mods but I think the basics are all in the stock game.

This is exactly what I mean.That's a rough landing.The heli looks intact from the outside.Wouldn't you prefer a leaning Loach, with a shattered windshield, some rotor parts layin here and there, and maybe a hanging tail whose only link to the body is a small piece of metal?What's more, I'd love to see the crew struggling to get out of the deformed cockpit (yeh, I know, me is sadist <3)

Secondly, I'd like to say that this was a fail post, second one (successful one, posted this first one by accident) includes a few more pics, and I think a few more details (can't remember atm).

Link to corect thread:

http://dayzmod.com/f...h-sites-for-sa/

Edited by thodouras95

I vote up for that. I don't think "random loot" is a good idea, but the whole concept is juicy. especially the "needs help" part.

Also:

• Some of the helicopter parts should be salvageable.
  • It can catch fire and explode some time later
  • Smoke and impact noise should attract zombies.
  • mounted weapons should have a chance to be still usable

P.S. Reorganize your post using bullets like I did. It will make reading easier.

I agree with not having random loot.

I like the idea of some choppers are more military while others might be research, medical or even salvaging items.

This will keep players interested in seeing what could be on there rather then knowing its always X.

You might see a chopper go down and wonder if it might be one with medic supplies to cure your infection or sickness.

Choppers should always keep players guessing- this keeps the feeling of exploring/discovering alive.

Could we have a chopper if a fresh crash be leaking out gas/fuel so you might want to be careful with fire arms.

nice to see this discussion!

Here are some additonal ideas i wrote about crash sites about a month ago, but never posted.

Randomly a chopper will make a flight over the map. There will be a random chance that this chopper will crash.if crash, then before the crash there will be a radio message like "mayday! Mayday! We are going down! Current position xxxx!" (plenty of versions of this message so it do not feel static)

ONLY people having the radio item should hear this. It should also be possible to activate loudspeaker on the radio, making it possible for people near you or all around the campfire to hear :-)

The position in the message should not be exact. A person that see the heli go down will be able to see a smoke pillar for about 5-10 minutes and hopefully get to the loot first.

this could add exciting element, gunfights and a cool use of the radio item