Sign in to follow this  
TheEscapist

Should i buy arma 2 or wait for standalone

Hi guys

Ive been watching frankieonpcin1080p play dayz and it looks hella fun and i really wanna try it. I have the money to buy arma 2 combined ops and get day z. But i heard the standalone was coming out and if its like other big titles. Will be around 40-60 bucks (which i dont have). The standalone is coming this year but no one knows when exactly. So i was wondering if i should get arma 2 co now for 18 bucks on steam but im worried that the standalone will come out soon and draw away most to all the players and the arma 2 dayz will not have anyone on it. So should i buy arma? I have 25 bucks and no way can i get more and the steam deal ends in 1-2 days. I prbly wont play the regular arma either. So what do you guys suggest?

Thanks

Whoever told you DayZ Standaloen will be 40-60 bucks is an idiot. I am going to say that if you get into DZ:SA early..it will not cost you more than 20 bucks, which will get you access to the entire game after its development process.

Please remember A2 != DayZ and DayZ != Arma2. Arma is its own game and for 15 dollars you can get numerous mods, including DayZ, that kick ass. Then 20 for DZ:SA...you still paid less than some "AAA title" that sucks balls.

PS my guess for a SA release date is goign to be late Feb early March. ANd I hope it takes that long. I wand the DZ:SA to be equal to or farther developed than the mod. And if it takes longer so be it. I have been waiting for a TOOL album for years now.

Edited by Sheepdawg
  • Like 2

Arma without dayz is still a damn good game.

I recommend you to play the regular version and the mod but if you don't want to play the regular version.

Wait, get only the standalone.

Edited by Soarin'

The standalone I think is going to take a bit longer for release than anticipated (From what ive gathered myself) However I do not think the standalone will be around 40-60 bucks though I could be wrong. It wont hurt to research more.

Technically, it should have been released in December, but If the game would have 6 months late, we would know already. So wait and see...

The thing is nobody knows how long it will take to standalone to become v1.0. It can take couple months or even a year.

• Like 1

Thanks gor the fast replies! Lol i guess i was thinking that since sich a popular mod is becoming a game, it would be worth alot. Haha my mistake. I wish i could get atma and dayz SA but its one or the other. I honestly dont see myself playing too much arma 2. Ive tried researching for the SA but we dont even know release dates, let alone price. But are u sure 25$ will be able to buy the standalone (if its great)? If i could get some more opinions i can make a better decision.

Thanks for the help!

I cant believe i got beanz on my above post. its riddled with drunken spellign errors and grammatical fails. Thanks for the inspiration. HEWKED AWN FOWNIX WUKD FAWR ME!

Lol beans.

So if it takes a long time to v1.0, can i buy it in alpha and still have it at v1.0?

And wat about price?

Thanks gor the fast replies! Lol i guess i was thinking that since sich a popular mod is becoming a game, it would be worth alot. Haha my mistake. I wish i could get atma and dayz SA but its one or the other. I honestly dont see myself playing too much arma 2. Ive tried researching for the SA but we dont even know release dates, let alone price. But are u sure 25$ will be able to buy the standalone (if its great)? If i could get some more opinions i can make a better decision.

Thanks for the help!

I promise my nutsack that DayZ Standalone (ALPHA) will be less than $25.

My guess is 20/30/49.99 prices. That 49.99 and the middle price point IMO depend on the success of DayZ:SA. Perhaps even a 15/20/30 model. I promise you could buy CO and DZ:SA for less than 59.99

But if its a choice between DZ:SA or A2/DZM...just wait. DZM isnt horrible but you will eventually tire of the bs.

My advice...like I said. If you LITERALLY mean ONE or the OTHER. Go and be patient my son...wait for the Standalone. The Mod is handed over to the community and while in the long run it may end up outlasting/outshining the standalone...in the immediate to near future..the standalone is where this community will end up.

Lol ik fagher sheepdawg u shall wait. But i really dint want ur butsacl if ur wrong. Lol.

But thats good. Hey i might even be able to save up a bot bu the alpha....somehow.

Lol beans.

So if it takes a long time to v1.0, can i buy it in alpha and still have it at v1.0?

And wat about price?

Heres how the DZ:SA should/"will" work:

First release "Alpha" will be 10-20 dollars. Not sure...but i assume it will totally be in that range. Most of this community will hop on board that train. We all love DayZ, rocket, bohemia and the concept.

Next after features are added(but not everything) it will enter Beta to fix the bugs. I assume a $5-10 price point increase over the original Alpha($10-20). More people join via word of mouth/impulse buy.

DZ:SA is "Finished"(seriosuly...they want to follow the Minecraft model and MC is still adding new shit to this day!) and again ramps up $5-10. At worst that is $40 but i cant see DZ:SA being above $35. Rocket and co arent money hungry assholes, and this is almost like his own kid.

TL;DR. DZ:SA should/would be $10-20 in Alpha(best time to get it, supports devs and secures future), Beta is $5-10+ Alpha($15-30) and should buy if you havent "pulled the trigger yet", Final/Release is $5-10+ Beta($20-40) and you still should buy because we all know you wasted money on WarZ or some shitty game on steam that you never play.

Moral of the story....honestly....just wait. It seems liek you are conflicted abou what to do which means you DO NOT WANT A2/DZ. Just wait for the standalone and save your frustration and money for something thats better.

I hope that helps? lol. Im pretty drunk but i read my shit again and i hope it makes sense to you.

Edited by Sheepdawg

My advice would be go ahead and grab combined ops in the sale. Its a hell of a lot of bang for your buck with literally 1000's of unique mods to have fun with (ofc dayz being one).

Or if your proficient in scripting and editing, you can make your own game. Also, it would probably be worth the practice in preparation for stand alone release :)

Its not just day z theres wasteland mod and other mods its very fun so is arma 2 itself just get arma 2 have some fun practice your day z skills it might take another 4-5 months to make

In reply to the cost. This is straight from the DAY Z page.

"Development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game, so anyone who is playing the mod now will be able to continue to do so. The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price."

If you remember, Minecraft in alpha was cheep and I know I picked it up for something in the teens. If you don't mind spending a little just get Arma 2 and the Operation Arrowhead on steam. There are some epic mods. IE: Wastelands, that life thing, ACE

Here is the page I pulled my facts from:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

Edited by Col. Kurtz

I wanted to get arma now too but after seeing most ppl saying to get the SA, im thinking about going that route. Arma 2 looks amazing but i like more bf3 fps types (sorry if that bothers anyone lol). And if it follows minecrafts model, then if i pick it up cheap, i wont have to pay to get to the beta anf full right? Im 99% sure but need the confirmation.

And Col. Kurtz thans for the tumblr page, very informative. He seems to be very enthusiastic about this project. A great sign