Sign in to follow this  
Vlaos

Perk/Experience System

Hello I had some ideas to implement a perk system that i wanted to share with you. What im trying to achieve with this system is some kind of bond with your player so that dying costs to you even though the perk bonuses arent powerful .After searching the suggestion forum and finding some similar suggestions i think i get what most people dont want to see so here goes. Im talking about an experience system where experience comes from everything you do and not kills. For example if you run a lot you will get better at running. This is the way real life works and there is no reason why we shouldnt want it in a realistic game like this. The bonuses of the perks must be noticable but not great. Also you must be able to reach max perk bonus in a period of 1 or 2 days so that again dying will be a noticable stepback but not a great one. The way i have it in my mind is like this. Some categories of talents which you can improve where the max rank is 40 and every 10 ranks you get a perk. For example if you have used a lot of bandages youll get better at treating yourself and as a result everytime you bandage someone you will get a percent of the blood you lost back. At rank 10 you will get Medic I and get 2.5% blood back, at rank 20 you will get Medic II and get 5% back and so on. Now experience can be earned not only by bandaging yourself but by bandaging others aswell, that way when in group you can assign someone medic so that he will level up faster by treating all of you.Simirarly others in group can be more experienced with repairing or cooking. Here are the categories ive come up so far :

Category------------------Action----------------------Reward

Cardio----------------running----------------faster running

Stealth---------------crouching/prone----------faster crouching/proning

Cooking-------------cooking----------------the food you prepare is better

Weapons-----------shooting any kind of weapon------------better accuracy

Melee----------------using melee weapons--------------increased damage

Driver-----------------driving------------------better handling or maybe fuel efficiency

Engineer-------------repairing--------------maybe higher top speed/durability?

Medic-----------------bandaging/blood tranfusions/etc-------------restore some blood on bandaging

I cant think of any more to add at the moment. But anyway i think you can see where im going with it. All the bonuses are minimal and although noticable are not unfair to new players. As to the period in which you can max a talent for example i think repairing 4 -5 vehicles is a good number to max the engineer talent.That way you can gain some bonuses even if you play for an hour. Of course cardio and stealth talents must be linked to distance covered so that we wont have any running up against a wall only to level it :P. Thats all. Tell me what you think :)

This has been brought up before, the answer is no. These perks and boost systems are for the arcadey shooters like CoD. DayZ isn't like CoD.

Edit: Here is a link and the last comment even states that there has been more before:

http://dayzmod.com/f...reesadvancment/

Edit-2: Try typing "perks" or "skills" into the search bar, the sticky does say that you should search before making topics:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1522-please-read-before-posting/

Edited by MacabreLlama99

This has been brought up before, the answer is no. These perks and boost systems are for the arcadey shooters like CoD. DayZ isn't like CoD.

Edit: Here is a link and the last comment even states that there has been more before:

http://dayzmod.com/f...reesadvancment/

Actually if you think about it these perks given in what you do most , in what you are proficient with, are more realistic than what we have now.

No, DayZ is a skill based game. Where you learn how something works and use it to your advantage. It has a steep learning curve for a reason and as such doesn't need a leveling/perk/experience system making everyone who has been playing since the dawn of time win over much smarter and skilled players based on time invested alone.

The other day i shot two fully kitted veterans with a 1866 Winchester and relieved them of their thermal scoped weapons, AS50's, coyote backpacks, NVG's, rangefinders and whatnot.

Since i haven't actually used all that kit in DayZ before i am sure i wont be very effective with it but once again, i will learn through experience with that too. Not by how much time i grind with it but how much i learn to be smart with it.

• Like 3

Actually if you think about it these perks given in what you do most , in what you are proficient with, are more realistic than what we have now.

DayZ perks are playing the game and getting a better aim, discover better tactics, learning to flank etc.

No, DayZ is a skill based game. Where you learn how something works and use it to your advantage. It has a steep learning curve for a reason and as such doesn't need a leveling/perk/experience system making everyone who has been playing since the dawn of time win over much smarter and skilled players based on time invested alone.

The other day i shot two fully kitted veterans with a 1866 Winchester and relieved them of their thermal scoped weapons, AS50's, coyote backpacks, NVG's, rangefinders and whatnot.

Since i haven't actually used all that kit in DayZ before i am sure i wont be very effective with it but once again, i will learn through experience with that too. Not by how much time i grind with it but how much i learn to be smart with it.

I agree with you on your points and thats why i cant stress enough the fact that the bonuses must be minimal and not on important aspects of the game as extra health or more dmg. As for the grinding thats why i say you can max a category in 1-2 days of playing. That way whether you ve been alive for a month or 1 day you will be equal. The whole point of this is to make you think twice before risking death and make you think about your character instead of only your gear.

I agree with you on your points and thats why i cant stress enough the fact that the bonuses must be minimal and not on important aspects of the game as extra health or more dmg. As for the grinding thats why i say you can max a category in 1-2 days of playing. That way whether you ve been alive for a month or 1 day you will be equal. The whole point of this is to make you think twice before risking death and make you think about your character instead of only your gear.

So what you are saying is you want to build muscles and stamina as you go along?

That sounds fine, if you spend lots of time running you won't grow tired as fast due to your fitness levels and you may run slightly faster too. But that should happen really quickly like you said, 1 game day tops in my opinion. Where 1 game day is something like playing for 2-4 hours running up to the NW airfield and back down to cherno/elektro. This is still a game, i don't want to spend my time doing side quests to stay competitive with the others. If i die it takes me 2 hours to gather enough gear to fight veterans head on, those 2 hours are punishment enough for me dying. I really don't want to get killed because i know how much running around it involves for me to get some decent gear back where i can actually fight a real enemy instead of splitting 200 zombie heads in 30 minutes with a hatchet.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a few things...

No aim boosts or damage boosts necessary and pretty pointless really considering you have near perfect aim if you rest your character for 30-60 seconds after a sprint. And all non pistol / smg class guns kill in 3 shots tops anyways.

And instead of calling it perks, simply call it character building.

Edited by X0TCadde

Perks is just a name you can call it whatever :P. Indeed most perks must be focused on improving survival and not battle so that they dont affect new vs old player balance. The increased damage on melee weapons is for fighting zombies anyway as noone really kills with melee other players. Also its something to look forward to when running between elektro and nw airfield because running makes you stronger but staying on a rooftop with a sniper for hours does not.

I don't want the game to tell me I am good at something. I just want to be good at it all on my own.

Perks is just a name you can call it whatever :P. Indeed most perks must be focused on improving survival and not battle so that they dont affect new vs old player balance. The increased damage on melee weapons is for fighting zombies anyway as noone really kills with melee other players. Also its something to look forward to when running between elektro and nw airfield because running makes you stronger but staying on a rooftop with a sniper for hours does not.

Why would you need increased melee damage vs zombies? The only two melee weapons are the crowbar and the hatchet. The crowbar takes something like 5 hits to kill a zombie with, in other words NEVER pick that POS up because you are just going to get roflstomped by zed.

The hatchet one shots any zombie so i don't see how that needs a damage buff... And you find 100 hatchets to every crowbar (jk) so why... just why?

Because there is no way in making you an amateur in the game skillwise because the basic game was focused on the experienced soldier handling things in a simulated environment ( VBS where ArmA was downgraded from ) it's quite impossible to do so. Perky games with skill trees are made around these systems or actually most of the perks and skills are quite useless like f.e. in FarCry 3 where 50% of the skill were nice but useless.

Edited by Enforcer

Surely it is better to purely allow equipment and attire dictate any perks rather than rushing a "fitness perk". If you find running shoes you will be more agile but they lack durability.

Whats up with you peeps, I think its a good idea.

I have the basic DayZ skills in my head ( shoot, shot and shoot )...i don't need a game to tell me what i can and can't do...i forgot another skill...reload.