Sign in to follow this  
green_machine

Changing ID/Profile to fool other players again and again.

I have an issue on the server that I'm dedicated to at the moment. Issue or not, I'd just like to find some opinions and experiences with this.

Playing on a server for long enough will get you some enemies, even if you try not to obtain them. They'll kill you, they want to kill you and they'll do whatever they can to kill you. Kill, kill, kill, Dave!

It 1st started when I met 2 players, they needed a favor, they needed my Ural to knock down a tree to free a tent. So, I accidentally crashed the Ural into a Humvee, the one with the broken door on the floor in Kamyshovo. ALL wheels dead. Lame, yes. So they asked if i needed a ride, considering i drove all that way to help them. They did drive me up north but then killed me.

(Ok, so that was uncalled for, using the side channel to get a kill after apparently being willing to co-operate. So I asked them to pick me up after one of the guys claimed it was not meant to happen.. and they tried but I killed them both, sweet revenge)

So now, it begins.

The feud went on for a few days until I found out about some players not being who they said they were. Which led to me being killed a few more times after trying to assist players who I thought were bambi's stuck in a bad position. As it turns out, these players have several identities dedicated to resetting their own reputation and luring players into new traps using the side channel and pretending to be bambi's in a bad situation. It's a good server with a fair amount of regulars and good guys.

So, considering the mod trying to build an aspect of trust into the game, knowing who to trust and who to avoid, I found this behavior very counterproductive towards the DayZ model. Because if people are not who they say they are then, why trust anybody? Then it's PVP all day everyday without even bothering to communicate with other players.

(but i also read how Rocket likes Metagaming so... this kinda is Metagaming. Does anybody know if this kind of play id blessed or cursed by the DayZ devs and what's going to happen with player profiles in the DayZ standalone considering this.)

Edited by Dave_

I change names every time I leave a server so I can fool more idiots into thinking im friendly.

• Like 3

I change names every time I leave a server so I can fool more idiots into thinking im friendly.

What, can't win in a fair fight so you have to resort to being a douche?

“Don’t think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It’s self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things” – Ray Bradbury

• Like 1

What, can't win in a fair fight so you have to resort to being a douche?

I win plenty of fair fights, It just gives me satisfaction to hear them whining in side chat, or even begging for mercy in DC. Even better when they come on here and get the forums behind them.

You are really, a bad troll.

Edited by SamuraiMo
  • Like 1

Do what ya want m8. Everybody smells their own shit sooner or later.

“Don’t think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It’s self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things” – Ray Bradbury

Did this today. Had our heli stolen but we survived, killed one of them and retreated... thought about going back.... told myself stop thinking and just DO IT.

Waited 30 mins for the guys to refuel my heli, Just as he was taking off, shot him, he jumped out, my sniper buddy finished him off.... The heli cruised towards the fuel tank... slowly...crash > BOOM, takes down the building next to it, one of their pick-up trucks and their GAZ. They got smashed, had no idea we surrounded them. MAJOR SURPRISE,.(Only killed one, should have killed all 3 with those explosions server restart screwed up everything) They were very angry, asked the server to kill us for items etc etc.

I'm going to be, 'not thinking' much more often.

Edited by Dave_

I've been shot in the back quite a few times, more than i'd like to admit, even after helping people. It doesn't stop me sometimes being friendly toward a person and taking a risk- maybe im not that attached to that gear at that moment, or i dont see him as a threat... or i simply just dont want to kill them... Then other days i'll go around killing people without asking any questions sometimes friendlies even get in the way! Its just the way it is. Shit happens bro! But the vast majority of the time, I will try to be friendly- but as soon as they start pointing a gun at me, im not so friendly anymore.

Edited by evil.piggeh

I've been shot in the back quite a few times, more than i'd like to admit, even after helping people. It doesn't stop me sometimes being friendly toward a person and taking a risk- maybe im not that attached to that gear at that moment, or i dont see him as a threat... or i simply just dont want to kill them... Then other days i'll go around killing people without asking any questions sometimes friendlies even get in the way! Its just the way it is. Shit happens bro! But the vast majority of the time, I will try to be friendly- but as soon as they start pointing a gun at me, im not so friendly anymore.

I understand, I feel the same way once i get bored of drunk flying through cities shouting "Uh Oh!" as chopper dave then think, why not take a risk and help some people but I'm not talking about the common trust issue with trying to interact with players, SO what if some of those players who shot you in the back was a player who did it once already but changed ID. Wouldn't that make you think... what if that player does it again... and again... why even try to talk to players if they're likely somebody who's killed you already and out to kill you. Just shoot everyone all the time just to make sure it's not a fake ID? I'm quite sure that's not DayZ's intention as a game..

Edited by Dave_

Dave,

First and foremost, I do this also. But let me explain. You see I have 5 profiles. I have 2 dedicated to 2 different whitelisted servers I play to play on. Then comes the server I admin on... I have an admin profile, with this profile i refrain from engaging anyone with hostility.(unless fired upon) I am there to help out our players and try to keep everything running smoothly. No need to be accused of using my admin powers for evil. Plus the owner is adamant about us remaining clean.

Then there are my "have fun" profiles, these I am forbidden to use my superpowers on. One is pretty much at your service, he feeds, heals, and delivers you with glee & joy. He'll crack jokes on side and complement your stellar zombie slaying skills. He is happy with his akm and little pickup. Then there is my asshole, this is the profile i use when people need to be shook up, He'll lay traps, ambushes, and just kick the hornets nest to get everyone in a tizzy. It is fun knowing everyone hates this guy, but it is rewarding to know I am causing memories for people. Even if they spit bile when speaking my name. The stories I hear of stuff i supposedly did, even though I know i didn't! These memories hopefully will have them wax nostalgic in Dayz when they no longer can play it.

Back in the day I played UO. We had seers, gm's, and the pk community all creating these events and conflicts. These are the thing i remember with the most bittersweet fondness. The sense of community in trying to overcome these conflicts, whether we passed or failed. I didn't realize it then but i had some of the best times just running / hunting / bargaining with the reds. The stories I used to tell at work about the drunk monk in YEW who was flirting with my horse or the serial killer jester plaguing the area around my keep. The chaos that ensued when some horde of monsters attacked a city. These are important, even if you don't realize it now. When DayZ is no longer the game it was for you, these will be the memories you embrace. Even if it does suck balls now!

Now there is an easy way to tell if someone is doing this, press "I" (eye not el) Try and remember what the stats are for your enemies and if someone asking for help has the same or close to numbers. Beware! This isn't fool proof no, but it is a way to detect profile shifters.

• Like 1

Dave,

First and foremost, I do this also. But let me explain. You see I have 5 profiles. I have 2 dedicated to 2 different whitelisted servers I play to play on. Then comes the server I admin on... I have an admin profile, with this profile i refrain from engaging anyone with hostility.(unless fired upon) I am there to help out our players and try to keep everything running smoothly. No need to be accused of using my admin powers for evil. Plus the owner is adamant about us remaining clean.

Then there are my "have fun" profiles, these I am forbidden to use my superpowers on. One is pretty much at your service, he feeds, heals, and delivers you with glee & joy. He'll crack jokes on side and complement your stellar zombie slaying skills. He is happy with his akm and little pickup. Then there is my asshole, this is the profile i use when people need to be shook up, He'll lay traps, ambushes, and just kick the hornets nest to get everyone in a tizzy. It is fun knowing everyone hates this guy, but it is rewarding to know I am causing memories for people. Even if they spit bile when speaking my name. The stories I hear of stuff i supposedly did, even though I know i didn't! These memories hopefully will have them wax nostalgic in Dayz when they no longer can play it.

Back in the day I played UO. We had seers, gm's, and the pk community all creating these events and conflicts. These are the thing i remember with the most bittersweet fondness. The sense of community in trying to overcome these conflicts, whether we passed or failed. I didn't realize it then but i had some of the best times just running / hunting / bargaining with the reds. The stories I used to tell at work about the drunk monk in YEW who was flirting with my horse or the serial killer jester plaguing the area around my keep. The chaos that ensued when some horde of monsters attacked a city. These are important, even if you don't realize it now. When DayZ is no longer the game it was for you, these will be the memories you embrace. Even if it does suck balls now!

Now there is an easy way to tell if someone is doing this, press "I" (eye not el) Try and remember what the stats are for your enemies and if someone asking for help has the same or close to numbers. Beware! This isn't fool proof no, but it is a way to detect profile shifters.

Dars? Dng? I'm not really fussed about the personal aspect, I can deal with it and root out the pretenders, even if i get it wrong, it's still 1 more person not to trust. But that could have been 1 more buddy too :beans:

so.... I'm mistrusting and killing survivors which could help me later or visa versa. It has kinda poisoned the water supply. How can I make a clan or group now when everybody has triple identities?

I also understand your actions, i hate care bear servers which is why i setup my roadblocks for an unconditional kill on whoever rolls up to it. screws things up, keeps people on their toes. Everybody in a heli is fair game etc.

Edited by Dave_
  • Like 2

Dave,

Talk about split personality lol.

• Like 1

-snippy-

That was the best thing I have ever read about DayZ

• Like 1

I tend to roll alone, team mates that wont listen turn on enemy for me, If I am sniping, and my buddy makes a dumb move, it's dead game, you can't win without the right choice.

I'm always the same guy regardless of what Server I'm in. I'm MOS182.

I've always played as Fraggle. I figure if someone kills me and then realises it's me from the forums they may get an extra kick out of it, especially if they don't like me :)

I would have thought that your name in the foundation build would be linked to your Steam profile. I'm just speculating though, it hasn't been confirmed.

I would have thought that your name in the foundation build would be linked to your Steam profile. I'm just speculating though, it hasn't been confirmed.

Not everyone uses Steam for DayZ I'm on Green Man Gaming. Unless your talking about the Standalone which could potentially be Steam only maybe?