Sign in to follow this  
Very Ape

Fuel as a rarity

Fuel, not vehicles, should be a rarity.

The thrill shouldn't be in hunting around for the car, but the parts and gas needed to run it. While military vehicles should remain rare, and thus a resource people fight over, civilian vehicles should be easy to find. The real challenge needs to be fuel-- players need to reflect on whether or not it's worth taking a vehicle and wasting their precious gas.

I'm not sure how this could be implemented. It seems to me as if limiting the quantity of gasoline in fuel tanks, and regenerating them upon the server restart, would only cause players to camp the gas stations. It'd give a distinct advantage to players and groups who play at certain, specific times.

An idea occurs to me; perhaps not finding, but acquiring the fuel, should be the difficulty. the rarity of it would spend from the time and effort it takes to actually "extract" it from the fuel tanks. For example: I'd need to find a decent amount of jerry cans to be able to complete a long trip without gassing up. Filling up a car from a jerry can would be easy, but filling up the jerry can would take a long time, encouraging players to make longer fuel stops and hoard as many jerry cans as they can. Finding the jerry cans would also be difficult.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it was in talk with the developers to make vehicles less rare but make the parts and the fuel a lot rarer to balance this out.

They were also talking about being able to remove parts/fuel from other cars too.

Edited by Rossums

I hope the "recycling" parts actually goes through, I don't want to use a stupid GAZ, so why can't I chop it down and put those parts on my white pick-em-up truck?

• Like 2

Love the idea. Definitely need more vehicles and less gas.

Maybe a "filling station" could only fill one or two jerry cans before needing an hour cooldown?

should also be a few extra zombie spawns around fueling points.

Having fuel canisters around some industrial areas would be nice but on a smaller rate.

Thought about this too, this is what HAS to be in the game. Maybe, the fuel should be even made finite?

First we find jerry's, refuel from the tanks... In a month we run out of gas. Somewhere the tanks are empty, somewhere they got blown up in a fight. Survivors scavenge destroyed cars for the precious liters. A lone scavenger once finds a fuel tank, attached to a truck in a forest road. It's stuck, but he calls a friend. They find some wheels and an engine, and they become rich. But they still have to get to safety in that slow-moving, large target... And in a month more, some people restored a small petrol station, repairing the pump and starting a generator. The place becomes fortified, as the bandits attack it nearly every day. Food and ammo for petrol... The deals are made.

This is what I'd personally like.

In a month we run out of gas.

You would have to do it on a small scale..with most of the servers resetting 3-4 times a day. And i doubt a lot of vehicles on the side of the road could have fuel otherwise why would they be left there?

You should be able to siphon fuel from broken but not destroyed vehicles. You should also be able to steal parts off of vehicles like hull parts, wheels, glass, and gas tanks. Engines would be stretching it too far.

I 100% agree that vehicles should be common, and fuel a rarity. There are millions of vehicles in developed countries. It would be no problem finding working ones everywhere.

yeh, in the industrialized world of Europe where chernarus is located, at least i think. theres a plethora of cars, and as there are more cars, fuel is scarce.

Edited by tigerww2