Sign in to follow this  
captslate

O look, another PvP thread

Alright, this is my second post on this forum, and I don't usually do forums, so, here goes.

This is not a PvP needs to be removed thread, cause that rip the balls off this mod.

This is not a "That isn't how a real (insert magical fiction problem here) would work" - IT'S ZOMBIES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, GET OVER YOURSELF.

That being said, I think that PvP in its current form is a bit of a wash, now, coming from a background like Shadowbane, APB, and other PvP centric games, I've seen a major problem in all of them, that DayZ seems to be doomed to repeat.

New players show up, get ganked, the assholes laugh, the new player leaves, and eventually the community is just assholes, and nothing else, it causes things to die, and I don't want this mod to die.

That being said, I have a proposal, and I will willingly listen to changes, new ideas, and out right criticism. That idea is this, why not make bandits, incapable of killing players that are less than say, an hour old (more than enough time to get a bit of gear and escape the bean wars), whether this is a "per life" thing, or just your first character, debatable. But make it so those guys that camp the shoreline just to troll newbs, can't troll them that hard. (Case in point, my first 3 minutes of the game were running the fuck away from an asshat with a SAW that was just mowing every one and everything on the beaches. I survived, but 10 others, about 90% I've never seen again, didn't)

Now the first complaint to this I know is WHAT IF THEY TRY TO KILL ME?!?! If they shoot a player, or attack someone else, the "immunity" vanishes, and bingo fair target.

Second thing I see already is, "But it's about survival" la la la, horseshit, there is a difference in survival, and me taking my CZ 50, sitting a bit off the shore and popping every newb that shows up at a PREDICTABLE spawn point. I would propose that any town can spawn noobs.

I'd like to see if anyone else thinks this could be a plan, and for the record, I'm not against PvP, nor "Survival" elements, but I am for removal of "gaming the system" and countering behavior that in a video game is trolling, but in a survival situation would be psychopathic

This horse barely has a rib left. I'll just repeat what I said last time

"The pvp aspect is a gameplay draw. The interaction between people is interesting to watch play out in side chat. It's like watching a horror movie =D. The cautious interaction is one of my favorite "features", and best of all it's a natural byproduct of life in the zone."

just give the player a choice off three spawn points. this should be enough.

all three on the coastline.

if you choose west, then there still is a little random chance were on the west beach you spawn, but you spawn west. also with east and south..

if a newbie would spawn, and got killed instantly, at least he would try another spawnpoint, cause he had a choice, and so could be part responsible for what happened.

This horse barely has a rib left. I'll just repeat what I said last time

"The pvp aspect is a gameplay draw. The interaction between people is interesting to watch play out in side chat. It's like watching a horror movie =D. The cautious interaction is one of my favorite "features"' date=' and best of all it's a natural byproduct of life in the zone."

[/quote']

I don't think I mentioned a thing about the PvP aspect not being a gameplay draw, it's what brought me in, I also don't think I mentioned anything about the cautious interaction, I think all I mentioned was allowing players more spawn choices and a way to keep new player griefing down. I assume you just read the title of the post.

Phace, I think that that's a plan, but it's probably part of the problem, is with a limited number of spawn points, the amount of camping that can be done is ridiculous, I mean, I'm all for "beans from all men to me" but still...

"I assume you just read the title of the post."

True.

Phace' date=' I think that that's a plan, but it's probably part of the problem, is with a limited number of spawn points, the amount of camping that can be done is ridiculous, I mean, I'm all for "beans from all men to me" but still...

[/quote']

you did not closely read what i wrote.

Three Major locations (East, West, South) you can spawn. But when you chose one, the random part kicks in. A random location in the West, South OR Eastern part of the map. Could be hundred or thousands of random parts in these three major location choices.

With this you have a limited choice, and still there is random. Best of both worlds.

This means, if a Newbie chose west as default and got killed, he can then choose East next time, and the possibility he spawns at the same place again is zero. But still he does not know exactly where he will spawn. No Spawncamper will know either. It is just a button that says: "Not the last spawn again please".

This could go as far as, that the game tracks the kills in the last 30 mins, and gives each major spawn location a safety grade. A newbie could then spawn where not so many kills on the coastline were detected. Maybe that is too much. But for a real new player it is not so fair at all. I started playing when this mod was young, and there werent playerkillers around. But when I had such hard conditions like today, I dont know if I would still login this mod from time to time.

I like the idea of giving new players temporary immunity. It would give them some safety so they can get used to the game a bit more.

Ah, sorry bout that Phace, I didn't understand it clearly, but I could go with that, is enough variety in the spawn locations, that it lowers the amount of grief potential substantially, sounds good.

This is a problem I have been talking about a lot recently, especially in game. Most games I play now seem to be filled with 99% bandits/trolls and 1% people getting ganked or trying to group and play like survivors. It also seems to coincide heavily with a lot of very new players showing up very unfamiliar with the way Arma 2 works and being slightly disgusted at it's engine and control mechanisms, so I am going to assume the mod is attracting a lot of the CoD/BF crowd, and tbh that is a very mixed blessing.

Wherever there are online games with the ability to annoy/hurt/anger other real gamers, there are always gonna be trolls getting their frills from watching other players ragequit or just getting frustrated in chat, and to me they are not the kind of gamers I want on servers as they do have a detrimental impact on the game. They are just one player, but they can actually make many players quit out of anger or just never come back at all as they see it as just too hard to get a foothold in.

There are ways I can see around it, but a lot of them are just too controlling and enforcing, but tbh if you gave me the choice of keeping all the fair players who may be a bit care beary or keeping the all the bandits, even the ones who play well, I would get rid of the bandits in the blink of an eye as there are just way too many trolls ruining way too many people's experience of this great game.

Also, as in most forums I post on, the ones who scream the loudest about you being a care bear and you need to man up, are usually the very ones who are enjoying the free reign they have of trolling and when they threaten to leave if anything changes I always think, "Please do."

Actually, I've been one of the loudest against any kind of reprimand on Bandits, and my humanity is currently over 3500, and I have never even considered shooting a survivor.

Please do not make assumptions like that.

Regardless, can a Mod please close this thread? We already have enough of them.

temporary immunity is just a bad idea, basically you are saying they have an hour to run right up to someone and kill them

Actually' date=' I've been one of the loudest against any kind of reprimand on Bandits, and my humanity is currently over 3500, and I have never even considered shooting a survivor.

Please do not make assumptions like that.

Regardless, can a Mod please close this thread? We already have enough of them.

[/quote']

Learn to read .. I said "usually" quite clearly, which means not everyone. Ok? Way to jump in and make a redundant point.

Anyway, rocket has made it clear he has something planned and that is good enough for me. I love this mod but I just do not want to see it ruined. There are some great bandits out there, but they are heavily outnumbered by the arsehole crowd who sit near spawn areas and rape new players as they appear.

If you actually think that is ok or justified in any way, shape or form then I actually pity you. Yeah, take that. Have my pity.

But random spawnpoints on ALL the fucking map is a good idea.

Terrible idea.

Temporary immunity goes against the purpose of the game. New players should be scared, stressed and lacking survival skills, like any average joe, finding himself no longer working at the local shoestore, facing zombie survival instead.

I remember the first night I played this mod, without any friends, scared to move in the dark, unloading all my ammo at the first zombie I saw. Learn to adapt very fast and learn to trust your fear. Caution keeps you alive, immunity to new players, is doing them a disfavour.

Keep spawn points in the southern part and continue to keep the nothern areas as high level zones. Once you've aquired a certain level of survival and navigation skills, you can head north.

Man, these people, I hope that you read that I'm not at all against PvP, and I'm not at all against the fear that showing up on the shoreline with no idea what to expect brings.

I'm against trolling noobs.

Temporary immunity doesn't give you immunity from the zeds, nor does it give you immunity to "waltz up and attack a player", as I already stated, and again, maybe an hour is too long, maybe 20 minutes tops, etc.

Dallas, I did the same thing, it was a great experience, except for the manic with a SAW, now tell me, if you had been one of those people, some I saw get killed nearly 10 times before getting off the beach, to this one man with a SAW, would it have been so awesome? Last time I checked, no matter the game, spawn camping and rolling noobs leads to players leaving.

Look at it like this for the "spawn immunity" as far as I know, there are very very few games that don't implement something to protect newer players.

WoW -> Heavily Guarded Noob Areas

BF1942 to BF2 -> Rear Protection Areas or "Kick on Shot" Areas "Uncaps"

BFBC1 and BFBC2 -> Spawn Immunity for up to 4 seconds or until you move or fire.

BF3 -> Spawn Immunity for up to 2 seconds until you move or fire.

CoD 4 to CoD 8 -> Spawn Immunity for up to 3 seconds until you move or fire

Other MMOs, that feature open world combat have at least a noob area to protect and keep players.

We are not attempting to lose players, we are attempting to gain every player we possibly can to make this awesome experience a lasting awesome experience.

Oilman, I've never shot a survivor either, and AGAIN I AM NOT AGAINST BANDITS, (I need to make a post that is just that 1 million times), I like bandits, they are AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT PORTION OF THIS GAME. Trolls are not an extremely important portion of this game, and we as a community, or at the very least the developer needs to do the same things that other games do, protect your noobs, even if this means a minor single player version to get used to the way it works! We already have the hardcore like me, that are willing to die 100 times to understand, we want those people that are willing to learn, but not willing to be trolled.

WNxLions - Come on man, read for once in your life!

Gabriel - Come on man, you at least read some of it, and the very best you could drudge up is "No"? Not even a simple Why? Come on!

Yeah, if anyone thinks it's either fun to be spawnkilled repeatedly by a good player with a good weapon or it's fun for new players to have the same thing happen to them, then they have no care for the rest of this game's community.

Keep PvP, it's essential to this mod, but there is a massive difference between genuine PvP and ganking/trolling/spawnraping. If you can't see that, I really do not know what to say.

I got PK'd once at the beach and understood that while the beach was fairly safe from zombies, it wasn't safe from other players. When I respawned I got off the beach as quickly as possible.

WNxLions - Come on man' date=' read for once in your life!

[/quote']

haha what part of my post was incorrect? This is a PvP thread and it is following several others. So, stating "not another PvP thread :(" would in fact be a correct statement.