Tigerr13

DayZ 1.7.1 Discussion - Others will be locked/deleted!

hey first of all thx for the affort u put in to this mod.....its really turning out great..

the only thing whats not ok is that the zombies aggro during the daytime waaaaay to agressive....maybe just cut down that distance :D

ive been playing this game and its hard as f... but i love it

keep up the good work

wait "who leaves their house without food or guns" haha really?

I do' date=' absoletly every time I do leave my house.. have fun bringing food along everywhere you go - realy?

[/quote']

Oops, fixed the sentence.

It's really not unplayable. Learn to adapt, jesus christ it's like a cry convention on the forums now.

"anyone who isn't on our Teamspeak is getting shot" exactly my point.. nothing changes

this doesn't make people group up. It Isolates the new players.

I really believe this patch' date=' while flawed in many ways, is the best evolutionary step for Dayz as it's swinging the favor back towards the Zeds in regards to level of danger for the average player. It's an unforced way to encourage more cooping between players without resorting to hand-holding, in fact it's the exact opposite as the game is even more unforgiving.

It has been stated numerous times that prior to this patch that fellow players were really the only danger to a character, outside of glitches. The age old story of an even more powerful enemy bringing together previous adversaries rings true with a buff to the Zeds. This is a very good start to get to that point.

[/quote']

Actually, pre-patch zombies were the most dangerous this in the game because they pretty much alert everyone to your presence. We've killed so many people in cities and the NW Airfield because they were getting engaged by the Zeds. We see them fighting, struggling and when they're done or in a vulnerable position, we take them out.

Players should be the most dangerous this in this game, and the "no starting weapon" gives people a chance to group up. However, the Zombies are there as a wild card, if you aren't able to deal with them and reveal your location, either they'll get you or someone else will. This won't stop in the new patch, anyone who isn't on our Teamspeak is getting shot.

Example:

There will always be PvP, and I believe your post makes my point. It doesn't force anyone out of banditry and it neither forces anyone to group up. For the average player no in a set group the increased Zed danger only makes grouping less of a danger relative to going it alone. It's the perfect balance. Before this patch Zeds were only an annoyance or a noise a trap for bandits. Now they can be seen as a legitimate threat for everyone.

Like the ideas, however, just spawned, was changing my video settings and i get attacked by a zombie, this is new spawn, i dont think that is that good tbh.

Like the ideas' date=' however, just spawned, was changing my video settings and i get attacked by a zombie, this is new spawn, i dont think that is that good tbh.

[/quote']

Learn to prone

If anything this patch made the game far EASIER

Facts are.

Ran from kamenka to cherno lightning speed.

Chased by every zombie inbetween

Arrive at cherno

Ran through building and lost them all.

GG have fun.

1.) melee weapons is hard (if possible at all) to implement into ARMA's engine. it was supposed for other things.

2.) zombies aren't that challenging. play different, adapt.

dudes?! just read through the first paragraph of the first post, this must be a joke?

ppl cant stealth? lolz, it is impossible to be stalth u can crawl on the ground doing nothing and those bitches attack u when u are 300 meters away just because they see u ( even with a ghillie)

then they hit u from roundabout 11k blood down to 4,5k blood with one (!!) hit. that makes the game almost impossible, u cannot run away ( i tried several times, to hide in buildings or behind walls, only one time i lost them while running through a building, but there are not many buildings to go through)

This new behaviour is not bad, but like the temperature feature it should be worked on. in this shape, dayz is super duper über too hard to play.

Zombies can still see through walls and follow u ( i tried to get away from them in berezino) they can still hit u through walls, and stairs, and if that hit feels like get roadkilled by a car, then u should know what i am talking about.

work on it, it is not as good as many ppl might think, it is too hard. even though the real zombie apocalypse would be also badass. but read what i just wrot eand think about it

Like the ideas' date=' however, just spawned, was changing my video settings and i get attacked by a zombie, this is new spawn, i dont think that is that good tbh.

[/quote']

Learn to prone

If anything this patch made the game far EASIER

Facts are.

Ran from kamenka to cherno lightning speed.

Chased by every zombie inbetween

Arrive at cherno

Ran through building and lost them all.

GG have fun.

Oh wow, did not think of that! The second i get into game and im facing the ocean and it's all blurry and i'm going to change it, i get attacked by a zombie and have to continue to be attacked while i am "receiving..."

My story. I was in electro I had a few goodies and a makarov but no ammo. I was on top of the warehouse thingy by the beach I had severall zeds to outwit to get there. There were dead player corpses all over about 4. Some dude was crawling near the shipping containers down below. He saw me on the roof and took some makarov shots at me. I got to watch the spectacle down below as he was eaten alive. About 5 min, later after i chucked a flare aways away I was able to loot his corpse. I received one makarov clip and was so excited. BEST PATCH EVER!

This is a Game - Not a Simulator. It doesn't have to be realistic, it should be fun. And it was, until this new update came. I don't like it, bring the old Dayz back.

This is a Game - Not a Simulator. It doesn't have to be realistic' date=' it should be fun. And it was, until this new update came. I don't like it, bring the old Dayz back.

[/quote']

I'd say the bulk of the gameplay elements lend themselves more to simulation than the average game. Most of the game is aimed at realism already, I don't see why this patch makes it seem like it's a new trend?

Feedback: It is much too hard, in fact nearly impossible to pass zombies now. Increasing the difficulty a notch would have been fine but now it feels twice as hard. No matter how much I try, how slow and carefully I go it is impossible not to aggro and be beaten to a pulp within a second or two.

I know newbie tears are nothing new to this game. But this is my attempt at giving a full-bodied feedback to 1.71. I just started yesterday and had several fun experiences in 1.7 and was really getting hooked on this game. I'll spell out my greivances about the last 7 or so hours I've been trying to get into 1.71 since there seems to be little consensus about this patch.

For those of you wanting a TL;DR version: "1.71 could have afforded to add a new aggressive/buggy aggro mechanic OR remove the ability for new players to defend themselves, NOT BOTH". Anyway, here's my take:

- Breaking line of sight and "hiding" is not reliable for breaking aggro. My experience thus far has been that breaking LOS will temporarily "confuse" the zeds, only to have them re-engage/home in on your position. In one instance I broke the aggro of a zombie right behind me only to have 3 more that had been farther behind dash in a few seconds later to my "hidden" position and make short work of me. This is currently the ONLY way for new players to survive once they have aggro'd a zombie. There is also one another extremely unintuitive aspect of this mechanic. As a new player I would say that 75% of my aggro comes near the outskirts of a town/city. Either I approached too quickly and didn't notice a zed behind a bush/rock/wall and they noticed me or other assorted fun involved high-visibility on pavement or "stealth" zeds that I practically bump into going around corners or just random aggro that makes absolutely no sense (being spotted with 1-2 visibility from long-range). When this happens you have 2 completely unintuitive options: (1) Run away from town, back into the wilderness, where you have nothing to break line of sight on and you will be killed or (2) Run toward town to try and break line of sight on a structure/wall and manage to aggro 50 more zeds in the process and promptly be killed. This one of the many inherent problems that making a zombie game line-of-sight based entails (more on that soon).

- Zombies can still see through (and often walk through) walls. Enough said right? Nothing like zombies that can see you from 50m out AND see you while you can't see them. So many times I'd be sitting behind a wall and get 1-3 zeds charging from the other side in several random instances. Hell I've been surrounded by walls on 4 sides and tried crouch-moving only to get multiple zeds (that I couldn't see) aggro me.

Line of sight is a poor mechanic in a zombie game. Zombies/Infected have never been known for keen vision, but few works of fiction have portrayed them as being hard of hearing. The balance before seemed right, "going loud" had major implications when near infected areas and you were still forced to crouch-walk to avoid garnering unnecessary attention that would force you to "go loud" and garner further attention. Zombies shamble around aimlessly, often turning in random directions and being extremely unpredictable in their movement. Furthermore zombies often appear in groups ranging from 3-4 to 15+. How am I supposed to effectively exploit line of sight when in most case I will have multiple pairs of eyes on me at all times? There aren't always nice clean walls for me to exploit and even then, walls just tend to encircle the building I need to get to anyway, so while walls help me get close, they do nothing once I'm actually within the perimeter. Given the random positioning/movement and 100% chance of death on zombie aggro for new players, this ushers in an era of uber-caution when even 1-2 zeds are nearby. Over the past few hours I've found myself going prone as soon as I could see a zombie just to ensure I didn't randomly piss one of them off. Even if I could use LOS to block the view of 80% of them, there's still 2-3 that might see me and I couldn't afford any risk. Believe me, spending most of your travel time prone is NOT fun as a weaponless/helpless noob who isn't even trying to protect their gear (we have none) but is simply trying to stay alive long enough to find ANYTHING. Being forced to prone everywhere only amplifies the aggravation when you it takes forever to infiltrate for no reward or to be killed weaponless because of some buggy aggro mechanic.

- The line of sight mechanic also makes nighttime broken. As a new player, I naturally hate nighttime. I have to avoid zombie and their vision cone but I have no idea where they are unless I point a bloody flashlight at their face. Not only is this extremely unintuitive, but its a slap in the face toward any notion that 1.71 is about maintaining realism. However, one advantage to 1.71 is that now nighttime, with its frustratingly pitch black environment and buggy flashlights is the BEST time to go looting. It's really tedious but nighttime is currently the ONLY time a new player can reliably get into a town and find gear. Currently the only time I've survived over 20 minutes since 1.71 was at night. I still wouldn't intentionally go back to night because it's so incredibly tedious without gear, but it's still the best way for a new player to get some starter equipment. This isn't so much an inherent problem as much of a reflection of how bad Daytime is now.

- No starter supplies doesn't do anything to deter bandits. Did bandits really ever come back to the coast just to kill us for supplies? I've played all varieties of PvP games for 2 decades and it's never been about the inherent rewards, it's about the thrill of ending another player's life. That thrill is there, but with less risk than ever. I've taken more dirt naps courtesy of bandits since 1.71 but my "sample size" is limited. Either way, a newbie who stumbles upon a bandit near the coast will have absolutely 0 recourse against the type of player who already tends to detract from the gameplay experience. I've gotten a weapon twice in the last 7 hours. One of those ended with a single sniper shot from the treeline. While I expect this to be part of the game, it just helps reinforce the cycle of helplessness that is forced upon new players.

- Perma crouch-walk. I get that full-on sprinting should be discouraged in MOST/NEARLY ALL circumstances in this game. But the fact is, new players often need to cover a lot of ground at the beginning of the game. I'm forced to double the time it takes to find structures because sprinting is now a death sentence for newbies. Zombies will aggro you from insane distances for having the audicity to move quickly in this game, further adding to the extremely tedious experience of a completely helpless new player.

- The last time I logged in I looked to the left and saw a port area that I knew was completely infested and impossible to infiltrate, and to the right I saw a small group of buildings with nothing but paved roads around and between all the buildings. I had died in both places after making several attempts at delicate insertions without any reward. I just looked in both directions and said "meh, fuck it" and quit the game.

- But! But! Removing starter weapons forces newbies to cooperate more! No, this sounds like blind speculation from someone who hasn't had to endure a weaponless 1.71 yet and wants to justify the widening gap between the well-geared vets and us newbies. There is ZERO incentive for cooperation now. Yes I don't have to worry about other newbs capping me on sight, but at least I had an INCENTIVE to try and be friendly before. 2x players = 2x as many guns, eyes, and supplies and thus a better chance of survival if the other guy was friendly. Now 2x players only means 2x the chance of a random zombie spotting one of you and getting both of you killed. Having more players doesn't nothing to improve the survivability of the group. The best tactic I've heard is convincing one player to play bait. But how is that realistic or fun for the bait? The bait will almost certainly end up dead with nothing to show for it and it makes no sense for "suicidal charges" to be your #1 shot at obtaining weapons for your group. This tactic would only work in pre-made teams as well since you have about 0% chance of convincing some random guy to go die so you can gear up. Lastly, grouping up will do nothing to change the underlying incentives and disincentives to murder and kill out of caution or greed. Once you and another survivor manage to arm up, there is still the same lingering uncertainty and incentives to cap the other guy. Maybe he found a better weapon than you. Maybe he found some rare supplies you want. Maybe you found the better weapon/gear and you don't want to risk losing it. Plus what's the point of encouraging early co-operation when 95% of those endeavors are going to end with both of you taking a weaponless dirt nap and respawning on opposite ends of the map?

I get it, the game should be hard. I'm not giving up on the game either. I just don't understand what merited these changes. I would have been struggling enough with this patch even if I had a start makarov, and things would have been PERFECT with the old zombies and no makarov. Isn't the standard of effective testing to "control" most variables and test major changes one at a time as opposed to completely changing almost every aspect of the new player experience and hoping to get effective feedback on each individual elements? Well this is my attempt at giving some of that feedback, this patch has destroyed the new player experience and the makarov AND zombie changes each play a role. I know a hotfix is coming and I implore the Day Z devs to consider reverting one of these 2 big changes. Unless the "line of sight" issue being fixed is simply a significant nerf coming to Zombie LOS, I don't see how the coming fix is going to help any of the fundamental problems that afflict new players. I was streaming 1.71 earlier today, initially unsure of the changes, I'm convinced all I did was convince a couple hundred people to never touch this mod with a 10-foot pole. It wasn't fun, there isn't tension or fear when you only have a flashlight to lose, just "oh look I've been spotted", I'll just hit the respawn button and save myself some time. I tried to defend the game to my viewers at first but by the end I was just as tired and exhausted with the survival experience as they were. I feel like my attitude toward this game has taken a complete 180-degree turn since 1.71. I died plenty yesterday, the game was still HARD yesterday, but I had way more fun while I was alive than I did today crawling across 200 yards of dirt prone just to sift through some rusted cans before a zed spots me through a building wall and sends me back to square 1.

After playing for a bit, my conclusion is; i don't like it. 1.7.0 was much better.

Ideally for me the zombie behaviour should be like this:

-Zombies should not be able to spawn within about 200 hundred meters of players. This would also make it possible to clear out towns and parts of cities and hold them as a sort of base and safe zone for fellow survivors.

-Zombies should also spawn in longer intervals, say every 20 mins. A player could come across a town empty of zombies which would notify them of the risk that there could be other players nearby

-Zombies should run in straight lines towards you, not zig-zag all over the place

Too make up for these changes which you could argue make zombies less dangerous I reckon zombies should be made much more unpredictable as a threat

-There should be roaming hordes of zombies, say 10-30 of them in size, that travel randomly across the map. This would make zombies a threat out in the wilderness as well as in the predetermined spawn areas

-Some zombies should be stealthy. Zombies that are quiet and stick to corners, alleys, doorways, ect. that a player could run into without seeing or hearing them first

-Also zombies that can play dead. Some should spawn as what appear to be corpses, but jump up and attack any player that comes close. Zombies should have a chance of appearing to die when they get to a low amount of health, but like above, jump up when a player comes near. This would make players much more cautious of corpses, worrying if they're dead or not

-Zombies should be more lethal when they actually reach you. Maybe they could have attacks that knock you down onto the floor, and it takes a short amount of time to get back up

This is a Game - Not a Simulator. It doesn't have to be realistic' date=' it should be fun. And it was, until this new update came. I don't like it, bring the old Dayz back.

[/quote']

There's games like Left4Dead for that

Anyway, the new update hasn't made the mod more realistic, in fact it's made it more of the opposite imo and sacrificed realism for difficulty (not intentionally I think though)

i dont think any of you devs play this game. It looks like you read the top 3 biggest threads on what they ( cry babys )want changed in the game. Takign the starter gun away has onyl made bandits want to get a gun and run back to the coast to kill people spawning in and there is nothing they can do about this. What are you going to od when i fire my dmr at you flash your lights then dc? Wake up devs get off the forums and try the game for once in your life.

I'm very excited about this patch although I wish I was more prepared for it.

I was in a field about 1000 yards west of Stary. There was nothing around. I saw a cow and went for the meat. I used my M24 to kill the cow because I had a lot of ammo for it. About a dozen zombies spawned out of no where (I was in an open field) and rushed and killed me. They were so fast and hit so hard that I didn't have time to stand up from prone and get away. The first one broke my leg. By the time I changed to my pistol I was below 3000 health and unconscious.

Is that realism? Realism is me not having to stop to change weapons. I work with rifles and sidearms in my real life job. I don't have to stop moving to change between them. It also doesn't take me a full 5 seconds to do it.

Automatic gun fire never killed me so fast as these zombies.

Spawning on Zombies sucks.

Zombies with telescope vision sucks.

Crawling etc kinda pointless now due to the above.

LOS is weird, can run into building just to loose aggro, but often times they hit u at the door.

Tents are still very much broken. I also dont get why you cant spawn them near trees, in real life you would put your tent near a tree for support...

Completely agreed with Forceful. There are still mechanics that are broken. Rather than outrunning a zombie, you need to find a house to hide in...? Wouldn't that just be a death sentence? Yes, but these zombies seem to be incredibly stupid.

I am also agreed with RobbL. Realism is fine, but the zombie shouldn't be able to spawn near me while I'm sneaking.

As a new player, I was having a difficult time finding gear before, but not due to zombies. It was due to time constraints, and I like that zombies will play a greater role in sneaking. Obviously this won't be the final patch, so I'm looking forward to changes imposed by the community.

TO EASY NOW MAKE IT HARDER, NO FLASHLIGHT ON SPAWN. lol jk but i dont think this is that difficult, i play lone wolf, i dont even own a mic. and i love the new style of play. super slow and careful. makes the game last longer.

Tl;DR

This game is awesome, I would love for it to be harder, just increase the difficulty properly and not make godlike Reggie Bush zombies who are impossible to shoot until they hit you and still cannot be shaken off after aggro'ing.

-----

Game was challenging before, now it's stupid hard. Why do I have to prone-crawl as soon as I get within 100km of a town, and then the whole time I'm in it? Before this patch I spent most of my time in town crawling anyway, but at least I could crouch-walk a good deal too. Now sitting up in a town = instant death. I can't even loot gear I find because it forces crouch, and I get agrro'd instantly.

And in the patch notes it says zombies can now be shaken off your trail. LOL. I have yet to figure out how to break the LOS. Everything I've read doesn't work. Tried hitting the tree line, going prone and rolling. Tried going upstairs in buildings. Tried tagging them onto other players. These Ultra-Zombies are impossible to get off my ass. And spawning with no weapons leaves me no choice but to get rid of them or just hit respawn because I'm gonna die anyway.

LOS mechanic is not the right way to go. It should be focused on hearing. This would make moving around at night (which is unplayable anyway but whatever) more intense. You can bump into zombies at night and not get aggro'd, but if their aggro was triggered by heightened sense of HEARING over SIGHT, it'd feel more realistic and engaging like it did before this patch. Before I was scared of making noise, now I'm scared of being seen by Reggie Bush the zombie 200km away that I can't outrun or get rid of.

So before you make zombies HARDER, make them STABLE. Fix their movement so I don't have to wait for them to stop in front of me to be able to shoot them. Make them a little slower so I can outrun them after 5min of booking it into the tree line. LOS is a totally bad mechanic. Should focus on them hearing instead of seeing.

And for the record I'm totally fine starting with flashlights. As long as zombies aren't so godlike and give no fucks about anything I try to do to avoid detection. After 40min of prone-crawling a town I still end up aggro'd at some point no matter what.