duke of hegi

Is a Private HIVE system allowed? *edit* "violation" report

I hope i'm post on the correct forum, i just found a server that claims he has a Private HIVE system. eventually it was a joke or something, i'm not sure. Eventually i'm misunderstand even something. but sounds a little bit strange to me. I don't want to pi.. of someone but, is that allowed? :huh:

I do not want someone to put the pillory, because I might have understood something wrong.

so if that IS a violation answer me, and i'm give out the server name. otherwise SORRY :s

Sorry for my bad English

edit after discusion: The server was EU-BIGBO version 1.7.1

edit 2 add some pictures for evidence, but i think those guys doesn't even know thats not allowed:-/

The server was EU-BIGBO version 1.7.1

someone said in the chat: he died two times, now he has his old character back.

then someone answer: we have our private HIVE system.

happens 2-3 hours ago. bad bad boys

Good old white knight community' date=' serving justice for breakfast since Zombieapolypse day

[/quote']

Against the rules, is against the rules... Sry

It is not official server but if someone creates a private system there isn't alot day z can do about it, they have no control over it at all.

It is not official server but if someone creates a private system there isn't alot day z can do about it' date=' they have no control over it at all.

[/quote']

Aside from legal measure once the game becomes an official mod.

eventually some one should told them, that's not "ok". i believe they doesn't even know it :-/

eventually some one should told them' date=' that's not "ok". i believe they doesn't even know it :-/

[/quote']

They couldn't get a hold of the server files in the first place without agreeing to said rules. And if they did, they are to blame for being naive enough to trust a 3rd party giving them the files as well as the private hive files.

No innocents up in this here thing.

good point, I must agree with you

naive is good, they even announce it on server join.

watch new pictures on my first post

You get the mpmission on your computer.

All people are doing is editing this to how they want it to run.

"modding a mod" - there really isn't much anyone can do about it, what's rocket gunan do sue them? no.. he has far more important things to be getting on with.

They won't get hold of any hive, if they did which access's rockets system etc.. then i think something would be done about it because they would have to reverse engineer it which is frowned upon in a legal world, but highly unlikely that would happen to be honest!

However without saying to much, it is possible to make dayz save outside on a user created system and not rely on rockets databases etc but it really is a long way off till you see these servers working fully.

All games with a mmo/persistant world have private servers cracked or official, wow, rift, minecraft whatever, just how it is.

Anyways, you'd rather play official and get updates often right?

Just avoid them and forget about it, not going to harm any of us, in my opinion rocket should just release the files for private servers, if he doesn't someone else will, rocket stated it's not in the scope, so people are going to look at other methods anyway.

I don't care either way, i pay for my server and use hive for dayz, other people want their own system (private), so its all a bit meh.

didn't know that's just so easy for someone...

i just can't understand that some people always need there "own thing"... guess i' naive

when they are not happy with the the actual HIVE system, they should just play something else like: *enter here random game name*

but i guess you're right, avoid them...

I and others reported these guys weeks back.

But for me I only reported them because they stripped character data from the main hive and saved it on thier own one on character login. so its "private" but its got access to the hive so it can grab your main character too...

anyhow. private hives? nope nothing wrong with them, nothing illegal about them and also. there never will be anything illegal about them or modding the game.

sorry to burst your fantasy bubble.

It is simply not possible to take legal action against someone for modifying and changing your work if they are making no money out of it.

no matter WHAT your ELUA might say. (dayZ has no ELUA for alpha testers nor can it, being a mod the owner has no rights over the code and scripts he is modifying.)

the only thing rocket really owns is the hive and database connection code/dll So unless someone reverse engineers the compiled code then... no.

far easier to grab it at script level where its plain as day what is what and intercept it. which is likely what they did.

simple as that gentelmen.

down the road, arma 3 , sure if BIS signs him up. right now? nope no legal protection, the only thing he could do is ban the owners from the hive or remove them from the whitelist.

which. lets be honest. is harsh, considering this "game" is actually a mod its self.

Still Id prefer the Official version of things any day. im just concerned this one has main hive access as well. which should not be allowed for security reasons. (private and unconnected to main hive? sure no probs)

im sure the dev team knows about this. the server used, at somepoint, a straight backup from the official hive, had my weapons etc from 3 weeks ago or so.

cant get to that data without the devs knowing. still running around on that server with some of that equip.

really love the server because of the higher probability of finding a vehicle.

but it sucks that he basically locked the time, its always 12am or 1pm. nighttime is fun too

hope he makes his hive available, getting really sick of the way server owners are treated round here. apparently they are even blacklisting servers that run modded mission files and are not connected to hive. pretty lame.

hope he makes his hive available' date=' getting really sick of the way server owners are treated round here. apparently they are even blacklisting servers that run modded mission files and are not connected to hive. pretty lame.

[/quote']

They are treating the server owners just the way they are supposed to be treated. They are PROVIDING hosting - nothing more.

They agree to this when getting the server files and using their own servers. Do the words ALPHA or IN DEVELOPMENT mean anything? They are not supposed to deviate from the formula - that invalidates any testing or data collected.

If people can't handle this, they are welcomed to shut down their servers - we already have far too many as it is.

They are treating the server owners just the way they are supposed to be treated. They are PROVIDING hosting - nothing more.

They agree to this when getting the server files and using their own servers. Do the words ALPHA or IN DEVELOPMENT mean anything? They are not supposed to deviate from the formula - that invalidates any testing or data collected.

If people can't handle this' date=' they are welcomed to shut down their servers - we already have far too many as it is.

[/quote']

Exactly, they are allowed to be a part of the project, and they should play by the rules. like Mansen has said, they agree to the rules as they received the server files.

but in every project somebody thinks he could do his own thing. thats just disrespectful in my opinion

and again sry for my "f-word"-ing bad English

but it sucks that he basically locked the time' date=' its always 12am or 1pm.

[/quote']

????? sorry but locked time, isn't allowed at all. AFAIK. an other server got already blacklisted for that...

in case you are not aware duke, the server in question is not reliant on the main hive to run. he can do whateverthehell he like mate.

black listing him from the hive would at least stop him grabbing new joiners info off the central database.

but regardless the server will keep running, keep updating and keep letting regular users join it.

so yeah. doubt devs can do anything about it unless they go insane with their security.

in case you are not aware duke' date=' the server in question is not reliant on the main hive to run. he can do whateverthehell he like mate.

black listing him from the hive would at least stop him grabbing new joiners info off the central database.

but regardless the server will keep running, keep updating and keep letting regular users join it.

so yeah. doubt devs can do anything about it unless they go insane with their security.

[/quote']

They can always push the legal issue if it becomes a problem of any magnitude.

I doubt it if this "mod" is actually a mod.

if it is as I suspect techinically a game and property of BIS. which i suspect is the case then yeah maby. but if thats the case. its a bit pretentious pretending the game is a mod.

the reason I think it is property of BIS is because its made mostly by rocket who is currently employed by BIS. its is common practice that anything created by a companies employees while on the job or while using the companies products is technically considered property of the company.

in which case. this is not a mod at all.

but BIS is a bit more progressive than some companies so they are probably just using thier influence to watch rockets back and keep the mod protected because they might sign it on as a stand alone or addon for arma 3.

but because its not signed up or copyrighted or anything there probably is no point pulling some kind of legal crap other than to scare people into stopping. because i mean everything about arma mods is so open to modding that you would be on shakey ground with any kind of IP claim i mean especially seeing as dayz actually liberally takes stuff from other mods even whole scripts and uses them...

using other peoples work like it does not leaves the mod wide open and unprotected. being alpha thats pretty common. I wouldnt expect rocket to take legal threats to people until beta due to the fact the scripts arent all made by him. and I doubt BIS will say yay or nay to officially taking up the mod until beta either.

I mean. In my mod were using tons of resources not made by us. but were in closed alpha. because we dont want to be open to this kind of stuff. (not modding arma. im a source bunny :D)

until I can prove all the content is owned by me or is only owned by say the engine creators as part of thier modding packages then technically there would be no way for me to legally claim copyright.

<--- see counterstrike stuff and music is not owned by us. replacing it as we go though :D