ShiroiKuma

New to Arma/DayZ

I'm completely new to Arma, and I'll admit I only got them because of this mod's awesome reviews.

Is it worth playing through the Arma 2 "Boot Camp" before playing DayZ? Or is the Boot Camp completely useless for someone wanting to play DayZ?

Training in Arma is not a necessity in order to enjoyably play DayZ, no.

But do not disregard Arma. It is so underrated, yet so amazing.

But hey, need some chopper flying practice? Use the Editor. Want to fly around that sharp Polana gas station corner in a car chase without hitting anything? Use the Editor.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably try Arma too as it looks cool.

I think I b0rked my install though, backpacks won't open.

I press 'G' to open my main inventory, I then click on my coyote backpack and press 'Open Bag' and nothing happens (except it now says 'Close Bag').

That's possibly because you don't have any loot. When you have loot in it you get numbers appearing next to items on the left hand side.

• Like 1

Maybe for the movement, gun firing and other basics but that's just optional.

I would definatly try the Arma tutorials. They're good fun and it gives you a chance to get used to the controls and so on without having to worry about being shot at or eaten.

Draay that's perfect! I watched 2 other videos about the inventory, but that one you linked explains it the best!

• Like 1

The inventory system in DayZ is famously tricky to get to grips with. Once your used to it, it works fine though. It's basically a result of this being a mod. Don't worry though, we'll have a sexy new one for the SA, it's already been made :)

oh and you can actually double-click on the icons like your backpack or the loot instead of searching for "open bag" or those tiny arrows to move them ;)