Alexander (DayZ)

Simple solution to disconnect exploit

Are we not gentlemen, have we not a gentlmen's code?

I have many little rewengwei missions on the go at the minute but I will make a special little dark-hole in my heart for the people who alt-f4 on me during a gunbattle that they initiate. This is the omerta my friend. You just made THE list, not A list. THE LIST. I shall not revenge myself on you but once.

I shall follow closely at your heal. Track you for hours, and when you go AFK to let the cat out, or give the dog some food, or stop the dog using the cat as food I will skip up to you and give you some shotgun mouthwash. By the time you get back to your keyboard there will be insufficient time to alt-f4 out. You're going to be out and out dead. I'm not even going to take your stuff - I'll leave it for some nubs to find. I will put rounds into your recumbant body just to be sure.

In short, if I ever see you alt f4 on me...boy. I will follow you to the ends of reason; To the Australian servers if I must, and I will never cease to troll you until you repent the day your mother gave you birth. My revenge shall be as cold and sweet as ice cream.

Love and kisses,

Alex xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :heart:

Are we not gentlemen' date=' have we not a gentlmen's code?

I have many little rewengwei missions on the go at the minute but I will make a special little dark-hole in my heart for the people who alt-f4 on me during a gunbattle that they initiate. This is the omerta my friend. You just made THE list, not A list. THE LIST. I shall not revenge myself on you but once.

I shall follow closely at your heal. Track you for hours, and when you go AFK to let the cat out, or give the dog some food, or stop the dog using the cat as food I will skip up to you and give you some shotgun mouthwash. By the time you get back to your keyboard there will be insufficient time to alt-f4 out. You're going to be out and out dead. I'm not even going to take your stuff - I'll leave it for some nubs to find. I will put rounds into your recumbant body just to be sure.

In short, if I ever see you alt f4 on me...boy. I will follow you to the ends of reason; To the Australian servers if I must, and I will never cease to troll you until you repent the day your mother gave you birth. My revenge shall be as cold and sweet as ice cream.

Love and kisses,

Alex xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :heart:

[/quote']

my name is alexander too!

Only seen 1 person alt-F4 on the ANZ servers...

ANZACs are real men.

I thought about this earlier - realized there seems to be absolutely no penalty for it! Seems like a major exploit too.

Just curious, how do other games deal with it? Such as MMOs in a pvp situation?

I thought about this earlier - realized there seems to be absolutely no penalty for it! Seems like a major exploit too.

A lot of people who have all the "pro" gear do it. That's HOW they got it. This rustles my jimmies somewhat and I'm trying to form a little group of two friends specifically to track them from server to server with the purpose of wiping the smug little smile off their faces. Always gotta have a goal in dayz my man. I've just set myself a hard one.

When you initiate PVP, it will flag you as fighting. When you are fighing you cannot log out, and if you crash your game on purpose, your character will remain ingame for a minute or two, helpless.

I have only done it to escape zombies glitching through walls or stupid things like that, but never in a fight with another player. I do agree however that there needs to be something in place to stop it completely.

When you initiate PVP, it will flag you as fighting. When you are fighing you cannot log out, and if you crash your game on purpose, your character will remain ingame for a minute or two, helpless.

As far as I'm aware you are either lying or mistaken - I've seen players straight up vanish as soon as shooting starts. One guy took a shot at me and vanished as soon as I turned round - I suspect the former because I have seen numerous legion players alt-f4ing during their ambushes. Trying to hide something?

Only seen 1 person alt-F4 on the ANZ servers...

ANZACs are real men.

Awesome. I'd like to play there more were it not for the fact that I get a terrible ping trying to connect to the other side of the globe. :P

Yes, a friend and I did it when the game lagged out on us on a US server. There were many zombies around and I didn't feel like dying and losing everything because the server was screwed up.

However in a PVP situation I don't think "hit alt+F4" ever even enters my mind... after years of playing arma2 and NOT having the "savegame" functionality, it's not even part of my thought process. ;)

Expendable' pid='11755' dateline='1336441942']

When you initiate PVP' date=' it will flag you as fighting. When you are fighing you cannot log out, and if you crash your game on purpose, your character will remain ingame for a minute or two, helpless.

[/quote']

Was that meant to be in reply to Griff asking about MMOs?

I suspect a lot of the top players use alt-F4.

I can say with confidence that I have never, and you will never see me ALT-F4 out of a fight. It's stupid, it is inevitable that you will die...Delaying the inevitable will only make your eventual death more frustrating.

I have no respect for practitioners of this exploit, and if I was a server admin I'd ban on sight...but that's just me.

I can say with confidence that I have never, and you will never see me ALT-F4 out of a fight. It's stupid, it is inevitable that you will die...Delaying the inevitable will only make your eventual death more frustrating.

I have no respect for practitioners of this exploit, and if I was a server admin I'd ban on sight...but that's just me.

Awesomesauce. Do you think we could get other server admins to ban these people if we can provide video proof of it like in the other thread about this?

Three bandits caught one of our team members who had fallen behind in the dark and killed him before we could get a clear shot on them. So we hit the dirt and waited for them to close in on his loot. As soon as they stopped to check his gear, we droppen two of them faster than a speeding bullit catching a disconnecter in the nogging. The thrid bandit managed to disconnect, but we got his name and waited him out. 5 minutes later he reconnected and took a .303 in the hip. Under heavy fire he clawed his broken body behind a small stonewall and while one of us suppressed him, our sniper now out of ammo, snuck up to him and put two nine mills in his cornered little self.

Then we took whatever valuables they had and burried/denied their corpses/backpacks.

All in all a very rewardning experience.

shotgun mouthwash

It's the term for placing the barrel of a shotgun in someone's mouth and pulling the trigger. The result is as spectacular as it is disgusting.

See also:

Kurt Cobain.

The 9 gram lead ration.

An hero.

I can say with confidence that I have never' date=' and you will never see me ALT-F4 out of a fight. It's stupid, it is inevitable that you will die...Delaying the inevitable will only make your eventual death more frustrating.

I have no respect for practitioners of this exploit, and if I was a server admin I'd ban on sight...but that's just me.[/quote']

Awesomesauce. Do you think we could get other server admins to ban these people if we can provide video proof of it like in the other thread about this?

Unfortunately for you and me, I have no say in the matter...my power is limited to censoring this DayZ forum for propaganda gains ;)

Expendable' pid='11755' dateline='1336441942']

When you initiate PVP' date=' it will flag you as fighting. When you are fighing you cannot log out, and if you crash your game on purpose, your character will remain ingame for a minute or two, helpless.

[/quote']

Was that meant to be in reply to Griff asking about MMOs?

Yes, this is how most MMO's handle the alt-F4 situation. I know in WoW whenever you are flagged for PvP if you were to alt-F4 it takes your person about 2 minutes to log out giving the aggressor ample amount of time to do what he pleases to your lifeless body.

If there is anyway Rocket could implement this then the alt-F4ing situation would cease to exist.

I just got alt f4'd at upon, i was camping the NW airfield and a player named "Jet" on one of the ANZ servers was spotted leaving the airfield, i opened fire and he just alt f4'd

What a dog.

Just posted in another thread about this. This is my #1 frustration with the mod at the point. Stopping people engaged in PvP from disconnecting, or keeping them in game for 2-3 mins after disconnect ONLY while in PvP, would fix alt+f4'ers and some server hoppers.

The only real limitation to this, is I feel that it would have to detect if any shots were fired, and if anybody was in a certain proximity to those shots, then they should be classified as engaged in PvP, whether they like it or not. If the system was simply based off who fired, and who was hit, there would still be plenty of room for server hopping, and alt+f4'ing.

^ It already detects when you fire shots at a player.

Look in the debug window -> "Free target: False/True"

Does it only detect shots that hit another player, or any fired near another player?

My reason for asking is that, if somebody shoots and hits another person, or is hit by somebody, I know they are engaged in PvP. My question and concern is for players in the general area, maybe 200m away, and 90 degrees away from the angle of fire, would they be considered in PvP? My feelings is that they should, so that they cannot alt+f4 to avoid a situation they may not like to be a part of... which I feel is part of the mod. You ventured into that town knowing bandits or zombies could/would be down there, now deal with your choice, fight and live, or lie down and die.

Does it only detect shots that hit another player' date=' or any fired near another player?

[/quote']

I asked rocket about this in regards to humanity/free target once. It requires a separate, larger hit box around each player to detect *near misses*. He said he'd look into it.

Just make everyone stay on the server for 10 seconds after any kind of disconnect. Disconnect honestly, you had better be somewhere safe for at least a little bit. Try to alt-F4, unplug the intertoobs, whatever, your character is left idling in game for a short while where he can be finished off, bullets or zeds, it doesn't matter. Character dies, the corpse stays permanently and the alt-F4'er is back on the beach for another round of bean wars.

Have avatars remain in game 5 seconds after disconnect. This would solve the problem of both avoiding zombies and players. MMOs like WoW did this, except they were 20 seconds. Perhaps lift this at someone's own tent, where it could be instant.

The chance of actually dying to a wandering bandit that wasnt there before is miniscule, and if you know there are hostile players around, it adds to the sense of urgency to be in a safe place.

^ Even if someone "drops connection" innocently, itd just be badluck if they did it while in a dangerous location.

Im all for the 10/30 second wait after DC. The only people who'd be against it is the practitioners.