Sign in to follow this  
DIABLO258 (DayZ)

DayZ Machinima Q/A

Hello, I am DIABLO258.

I recently got into the talk of beginning a web series through a game with some friends, and we chose DayZ. Its something we have been wanting to do for a really long time, and we finally have the capability of pulling it off. We know its going to be hard to do, but we are willing to work through it.

All we really need is a quick run down of the things that are, and arnt possible within the DayZ game; or ArmA all together.

Q: Is it possible to disable the HUD/UI on your own private server?

Q: Is it possible to noclip within DayZ or ArmA at all? (Or at least in your own server)

Q: If not, is there a software that allows us to have a free flying camera within the DayZ game?

Q: Last but not least, do you have any suggestions on a in-game recording software that works well with ArmA (IE: Fraps)

Q: Should I change my mind completely and use a different game all together?

Q: Is it possible to change models? Say, into a zombie? Or change the civilian clothing color?

Thank you so much in advance.

I am really excited to work with DayZ to get this thing moving. I hope some of you know of tactics I can use to film inside of ArmA, it would be a great help.

Post any tips if you have them

Edited by DIABLO258

HUD: OFF - possible

UI - dont know

noclip - dont know, but should be possible if you start your own server without battleye and in lan

free fryling camera, i guess there are a few scripts, that can allow it.

recording software: Bandicam - just download a "fixed" version without any watermarks ^^

dont change the game, would love to see a machinima dayz movie

yes you can change skins, for example with rmod you can allmost use every skin you want.

from what i know. ^^

I would like to know if what you have planned is more of a machinima or more of a gameplay web series? If it is heavily focused on a machinima, things are going to be much easier.

To already answer some of your questions:

The UI can already be disabled client-side on all servers. (see options- game options- DayZ UI)

Yes, absolutely. You can find more details on camera.sqs on the net. There are in fact already several "free camera" tools for Arma 2 available.

FRAPS is widely used and offers a good video quality but also a big output size. Depending on your GPU, you can also use MSI Afterbruner's video capturing tool.

I can't answer that question but I can tell you that the game offers you a lot of freedom which many others do not.

Changing character models/skins is also no problem at all.

HUD: OFF - possible

UI - dont know

noclip - dont know, but should be possible if you start your own server without battleye and in lan

free fryling camera, i guess there are a few scripts, that can allow it.

recording software: Bandicam - just download a "fixed" version without any watermarks ^^

dont change the game, would love to see a machinima dayz movie

yes you can change skins, for example with rmod you can allmost use every skin you want.

from what i know. ^^

Thanks! Big help. I have already contacted my friends and started writing the rough draft of the script for our first episode!

Now all I need is help finding these things! Google apparently doesnt know much of DayZ Machinima's.

PurePassion,

This is going to be a Scripted series. Acting, different characters you will get to know, and an adventure to find your best friend who was lost in the world of Chernarus. We are still VERY VERY early in production. I mean we just started last night. So the story will be a lot more complex than that when we film it.

And thanks for mentioning the name of a free flying camera tool. Big help.

Edited by DIABLO258

aha that's nice because then you can use a lot more scripting and have much more possibilities. :)

As a start, you should watch e.g. this tutorial on camera.sqs (A in-house scripting command from Arma) for Arma 1 (the scripts are still valid).

Also, this is going to be your bible.

Very true. I am messing around with the editor and the camera script. As well as scenario object placement. But, what I would like to know is how you can change the player model to the Civilian clothing from DayZ in the ArmA editor.

There is something eles that would be cool, if a survivor came across zombies and some were eating dead bodies.. is this possible ive seen it done on youtube machinimas