Sign in to follow this  
jaynich

DayZmeets Wasteland

I would love to see the integration of the Wasteland sandbox style base construction. This would be a major step up!

So yeah, would it be possible to merge the Wasteland base construction with DayZ. Possibly even adding the weapons spawning in some cars, except drastically reducing the chance of finding a weapon in a car. Like 1 in every 30 vehicles have a chance of spawning a hatchet/crowbar 70%, handgun 25%, Primary weapon 5%.

• Like 1

base construction is a confirmed feature on SA, however i don't know when it will be added. also it will be underground bases.

im also a fan of the wasteland mod. but i think the current system wont fit to dayz. or to be more precise the current buildings wont fit. most of the buildings consist of h-barriers and those are usually filled with a front loader not by hand. other than that i really like the easy to use way of placing structures and rearranging them.

another cool feature is the ability to tow broken cars behind bigger/stronger cars. this could help dayz as well: for buildings a wall to keep undead out, or to secure your base. but there needs to be an item like a towing chain that allows you to tow one vehicle behind another one. chains with 5 and more vehicles like in wasteland are not ok.

tl;dr

structures like wasteland - no, placing system - yes

towing vehicles with special items cool

I don't think the Wasteland style of base building would suit DayZ. Too much construction would seriously impact the "survival" element.

I'm not against in-world object placement per se, just the major bases, stockpiles of gear and OTT defences.

It would be nice to have the opportunity to create a survivor outpost, with many people helping. I just feel that care should be taken not to detract from the "apocalypse scavenger" factor.

• Like 1

I don't think the Wasteland style of base building would suit DayZ. Too much construction would seriously impact the "survival" element.

I'm not against in-world object placement per se, just the major bases, stockpiles of gear and OTT defences.

It would be nice to have the opportunity to create a survivor outpost, with many people helping. I just feel that care should be taken not to detract from the "apocalypse scavenger" factor.

I really want to know how this idea detracts from Day Z? I mean seriously, people like you should just play the mod and not even play the Stand alone since you seem oh-so-happy with its current form. Day Z needs content like this, and it is entirely within the scope of the goal. Do you honestly think survivors in an apocalypse won't try to fortify an existing building or try to rebuild elsewhere?

Scavenging for materials to construct with adds yet another element and depth to the game. Not to mention the ability to store, collect, protect and create your own form of civilization within those boundaries. Oh, and before you go on about how it affects performance... it has been done in games before and quite successfully.

The problem with base building on the map is that it clutters the servers.

Wasteland is more of short battles and control points, with the bases while DayZ is more of a persistent world, MMO type.

There won't be server restarts in DayZ SA.

There will be bases underground which you can build. they are looking at instancing them so it take pressure off the server for the main map.

You can still have your base but you have to work for it, get supplies and tools, and help from other players to make it go faster.

• Like 1

I really want to know how this idea detracts from Day Z? I mean seriously, people like you should just play the mod and not even play the Stand alone since you seem oh-so-happy with its current form. Day Z needs content like this, and it is entirely within the scope of the goal. Do you honestly think survivors in an apocalypse won't try to fortify an existing building or try to rebuild elsewhere?

Scavenging for materials to construct with adds yet another element and depth to the game. Not to mention the ability to store, collect, protect and create your own form of civilization within those boundaries. Oh, and before you go on about how it affects performance... it has been done in games before and quite successfully.

People like me?! Have you even seen what Wasteland is about? That sort of construction is WAY too large-scale. And WAY too easy to accomplish.

When you no longer have to go to cities to scavenge because your clan has stockpiled all the loot you'll ever need, that's detracted from gameplay.

When the threat of zombies is meaningless because of your walls, that's detracted from gameplay.

When nobody can starve to death because Dreygar has been playing farmville all day, THAT has detracted from the gameplay.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you. You managed to figure out these internets all by yourself. Next step is reading and comprehension.

EDIT: I'm going to assume you were just in a bad mood, for some reason.

Now go wring out your tampon, you can use it again next month.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

People like me?! Have you even seen what Wasteland is about? That sort of construction is WAY too large-scale. And WAY too easy to accomplish.

When you no longer have to go to cities to scavenge because your clan has stockpiled all the loot you'll ever need, that's detracted from gameplay.

When the threat of zombies is meaningless because of your walls, that's detracted from gameplay.

When nobody can starve to death because Dreygar has been playing farmville all day, THAT has detracted from the gameplay.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you. You managed to figure out these internets all by yourself. Next step is reading and comprehension.

EDIT: I'm going to assume you were just in a bad mood, for some reason.

Now go wring out your tampon, you can use it again next month.

It was a bit off of what the Op suggested, but going on about the base building in general is where I aimed my comment to you at. Base building is a great idea and won't detract from anything. It can be a lengthy process to gather resources and the tools in order to build something and make this game much more than a loot/eat/drink/run around and die game.

Zombies, are not the main focus of this game so being able to create some kind of defense to keep you safe from them shouldn't even be an issue. If I wanted to play Survive the Zombies there are much better games for that.

Who cares if Dreygar is the lone survivor out in the woods with a little shack and a few plants/livestock? If that is how Dreygar wants to play his game and he has accomplished all the things in order to even get to that stage then so be it. This game needs content like this and not the same ole...

Spawn, Run to town, Loot. Go north, loot. Find vehicle... Meet friends. Loot... Kill players... Die... Spawn again. There NEEDS to be content in order for this game to be successful, least for me. If I want to just run around shooting at people I can play Arma 2/3 or some other shooting game.

Zombies suck in this game, and not even something I play this game for. If you do, that's great. I play it for the survival aspects and if I want to gather resources to go survive in the wild, or if I want to go meet up with friends and make a "base" ... then the tools for that should be provided. If all we're left with is some shitty ass disease mechanic and some stupid 28 Days Later zombies then I won't even bother with this game.

The only thing that detracts from gameplay is the lack of content/things to do, and the repetitiveness of the little things that are in the game.

The Zed AI isn't exactly top-notch, but that's clearly an area fit for improvement. As are all survival factors.

None of the things DayZ is recognised for are particularly challenging in their current state, so obviously they're going to have to be improved upon. The mod is just a taster.

Advanced base construction would render the minimal challenges even more obsolete.

And before you "blah blah blah" at me, it's you who's making assumptions based on the current state of things ("Zombies suck in this game") so maybe you should be the one who sticks to the mod.

I'm not against base building, I just think it shouldn't be a bit of whimsy. It should be an actual accomplishment.

The challenge is supposed to be overwhelming. At least, that's the game I hope to see.

(From the post which you quoted in your first response)

The Zed AI isn't exactly top-notch, but that's clearly an area fit for improvement. As are all survival factors.

None of the things DayZ is recognised for are particularly challenging in their current state, so obviously they're going to have to be improved upon. The mod is just a taster.

Advanced base construction would render the minimal challenges even more obsolete.

And before you "blah blah blah" at me, it's you who's making assumptions based on the current state of things ("Zombies suck in this game") so maybe you should be the one who sticks to the mod.

I'm not against base building, I just think it shouldn't be a bit of whimsy. It should be an actual accomplishment.

The challenge is supposed to be overwhelming. At least, that's the game I hope to see.

(From the post which you quoted in your first response)

My assumptions is that Zombies will suck in SA as well, considering they seem to like the running aspect of the Zombies and Zombies will now be running indoors. Will it be more challenging? Sure, but it's not an improvement. So unless the game suggests otherwise I am sticking to my guns in that the Zombies in Day Z mod/game do and will suck. Assumption, Opinion, you call it what you will.

My only gripe is people who throw out the ideas of things like base building, and other advanced content because they are happy with the state of the mod. They just want to run around and find next to nothing and die of thirst/hunger because there is no food... and then just shoot at one another. That is not fun in any means, least for me. For this game to be successful long-term there needs to be a lot of good content, and "underground bunkers" just aren't cutting it for me in that department.

Building structures should be fabulously difficult and costly, either in terms of resources or time. If you had to log in for twenty minutes and be exposed and largely stationary to erect a sandbag wall, or have a team or eight guys working on a wooden barricade for ten straight minutes, that would feel about right. Give each structure a progress bar, and let people work on it like Clonks or SCVs, so you can't just plant a barracks like it's a tomato plant and wait for it to warp in. As with vehicles, make it tough and expensive to build structures, but cheap and easy to damage or destroy them.

• Like 1

:P

I believe if Base construction was done above ground in DayZ SA they would want to have it in smaller pieces, not a one item drop as the video shows above.

With having so many smaller parts on a base build , this would cause issues with the Server, so the Underground Instance -Bases would allow you to have them but not clutter the Server and cause issues with lag, etc

The construction builds are deployable. Just like tents, there not the same as in wasteland as we have changed them. Also us building underground isnt an option with Mod, this will do.

Wow, I actually forgot I posted this. But to be more clear, aiming the base building more towards barricading existing buildings (not to mention COD but, COD like 2x4 fortification) Not having the ammo boxes and crates full of weapons and ammunition like wasteland does. Also preventing from creating "Sky bases" and adding a "build timer" for each placed object. Same for removal of said object. Random gear in cars still available, and overall in the game less chance of actually finding a weapon except of course military bases, some residences, and cars. Do you really think you'd find an AS50 within even a month of scavenging? lol Improved melee + more usable melee weapons (preferably ones that don't need to be reloaded ;]) I've turned this into more of a wishlist now lol, understood about the building clutter though. But, to be honest, there wouldn't be any server resets IRL either, then again, IRL things aren't generated through code ;]