Sign in to follow this  
WeaselBlaster

Vaulting and Climbing aspects

I think it would be great add a mechanic to jumping where the survivor reaches out his arms in front of him to grab onto a ledge.During a discussion between me and my friend we imagined "Not any average Joe would be running across rooftops, the risk would be too high" envisioning "How many people would actually take that risk, of breaking their legs or worse, so the few who do take the risk will be on another level of survival." This could result in an ability that is not gained through game experience points but earned through passed knowledge and trial and error, like real life.

I envision a random death scenes with no obvious cause of death, and an eerily un-looted body.

• Like 8

I agree whole-heartedly this would be a really fun idea, Imagine climbing a ladder and being surrounded by walkers and having to choose between jumping to the next building for a chance to escape or facing them head on. also stalking players from roof top to roof top would be exhilarating.

Edited by Jezreel
  • Like 3

really though... climbing and jumping is a basic form of movement. an essential one in fact! must be to do with the effort behind making objects scalable. youd have to make them all... otherwise we'd be awkwardly yelling to our noob friends "dont try to climb that building! everyone knows that one's an unclimable you idiot!!" maybe the survivors were infected by the virus in a different way. a way that reduced the thigh muscles to nothing, leaving us all hopping slowly over fences.

Eh I'm sorry but I can't say I support this idea in the slightest. Though I do think it is a touch bit silly to not have a jump feature in the game what it does is cripple the ability of the retard FPS Quake players that hop around like bunny-rabbits after having snorted an entire eight ball. People actually have to coordinate and think about their movements in gun fights rather than just "lololololololololol *hop hop hop hop*".

High ground is something that is advantageous against a sentient human being, this is true. You have a better field of view, you are less visible to those below you and of course they have to go through considerable effort to get to you.

Not the same can be said about zombies with no sense of self preservation that barrel at you at top speed, going to high ground like a ceiling is basically a self written death sentence and I believe it should stay that way.

Not to mention I'd really like it if this game didn't become CoD multiplayer where I gotta worry about being privy to every glitched spot every douche sniper could possibly find within the city that I would have to check as I came in. Windows and ledges are enough for me, thanks.

• Like 2

Eh I'm sorry but I can't say I support this idea in the slightest. Though I do think it is a touch bit silly to not have a jump feature in the game what it does is cripple the ability of the retard FPS Quake players that hop around like bunny-rabbits after having snorted an entire eight ball. People actually have to coordinate and think about their movements in gun fights rather than just "lololololololololol *hop hop hop hop*".

High ground is something that is advantageous against a sentient human being, this is true. You have a better field of view, you are less visible to those below you and of course they have to go through considerable effort to get to you.

Not the same can be said about zombies with no sense of self preservation that barrel at you at top speed, going to high ground like a ceiling is basically a self written death sentence and I believe it should stay that way.

Not to mention I'd really like it if this game didn't become CoD multiplayer where I gotta worry about being privy to every glitched spot every douche sniper could possibly find within the city that I would have to check as I came in. Windows and ledges are enough for me, thanks.

You are right bunnyhopping should not be possible.

Make it, that you can only jump when having light gear, or have predetermined points, where you are able to climb and or Jump (to reach a high ledge)

Edited by UmBe

Love it, got a few limitation for you though.

A - This is not assassin's creed. To climb straight up the side of a building you would need a climbing kit ( essentially a rope and some sort of hook ).

B - More things like the climbable bar on the side of cherno town center building.

C - Climbing up trees, please let me be a stealthy bushwookie tree sniper.

jumping IRL requires taking impulse, and in game that could translate in a quite lenghty animation. you normally need to sprint to jump horizontally over a space btween 2 surfaces, falling from some height would require your character crouching or rolling upon landing to absorb the impact, and you need to crouch and take impulse to climb a wall for example, or a friend to help you climb. Bunnyhopping is just a cheap mechanic put in place in games to add more movement options without having to work on it too much.

New and realistic ways to perform diverse actions that add deep to the gameplay are always welcome.

-edit- Forgot to mention that jumping and climbing requires a lot of stamina, specially when encumbered.

Edited by Tourdion

jumping IRL requires taking impulse, and in game that could translate in a quite lenghty animation. you normally need to sprint to jump horizontally over a space btween 2 surfaces, falling from some height would require your character crouching or rolling upon landing to absorb the impact, and you need to crouch and take impulse to climb a wall for example, or a friend to help you climb. Bunnyhopping is just a cheap mechanic put in place in games to add more movement options without having to work on it too much.

New and realistic ways to perform diverse actions that add deep to the gameplay are always welcome.

-edit- Forgot to mention that jumping and climbing requires a lot of stamina, specially when encumbered.

I partually agree with DayZoey re: bunnies, its bad enough everyone hops around in battlefield 3 like a bunch of kangaroos on cocktail of steriods and crystal meth. But it would be mitigated by proper hit hull calculation that wouldn't crap itself when bunnies be hoppin. edit: and stamina

I agree with DayZoey re: glitchers, enough care has to be done to prevent this.

I like the idea of a running vault (in the game you can already vault, albeit a bit shitly) to clear small obstructions such as fences, etc and being able to take a risk and try and clear a gap between two ledges.

Edited by mbainrot

I partually agree with DayZoey re: bunnies, its bad enough everyone hops around in battlefield 3 like a bunch of kangaroos on cocktail of steriods and crystal meth.

I think jumping in the middle of a firefight -making your character crouching, jumping a short distance just to crouch again- seems quite counterproductive, that is not going to save your life. When i mean jumping, i mean a slow jump that takes effort and time, not an instant levitation effect like we can see in most games.

When i think about adding this kind of interactions, i think in time spent acting as a balance factor, avoiding easy exploits like bunnyhopping and putting the player in a great disadvantage if done at the wrong time.

OfbwO.png?1

*shitty 5 minutes drawing*

In the second example the guy has fallen from a short height and he will need some valuable seconds to recover, ready the weapon and start moving again. he can be killed pretty easily if hes not careful, because he cant react in time if bullets start flying. Same with normal jumping, climbing or vaulting, like in the first image. You can run from zeds, but you will be vulnerable to other players.

-edit- Vaulting like that probably will deplete your stamina very quickly, leaving you room for only one or two of these actions. (specially if you are sprinting already.)

Edited by Tourdion
  • Like 1

Eh I'm sorry but I can't say I support this idea in the slightest.

I haven't seen DayZoey approve of a single suggestion yet, and she disagrees for "realism's" sake. Is climbing not realistic, or at the very least authentic? I like the way Tourdion presents this idea, jumping should take time. So, if implemented properly, why do you object? Not meant to be offensive, just asking. ^_^

Edited by GotBeanZ

Jumping mechanics have been discussed before. A couple of existing mods with added movement features have been discussed - on included some great features like wall-vaulting. Would love to see a few more movement features added, but mostly some of the clunky transitions sorted out - although I'm sure this is on the cards...

New Item:

climbing axe

http://www.tauntonle...g_large_210.jpg

.. makes you climb better xD

maybe extends the range of your arm, you don't fall down a building as easily and you can use it to kill "Zombies".

Well actually the normal person might not be able to scale the side of a building, but most people could with a tool like that.

I wouldnt include options to climb higher buildings except ladders. i prefer players having the same movement options from the beginning.

shitty 5 minute drawing? fuck no that was sweet! lol

i think there are a lot of other mechanics that should be addressed before this. because people are right, bunnyhopping is unacceptable and this mechanic would have to be implemented carefully and correctly.

• Like 1

It needs to be you can climb and if the is a gap between to buildings you get something like "Jump to Rooftop" and the game does an Animation where your guy jumps onto the roof but if you have anything other than something like "Climbing Suit" You have a chance to suffer damage/break your legs/Fall down to your death(Height Dependant) and a Grappling Hook would be good and a worthy "Is it worth climbing this building" Only to get your head picked off half way up but you could use a Grappling hook at the same time as wearing the climbing suit at the edge of a building to Rappel Off It isnt that hard in Real life if you understand the basic Principle problems such as Slipping wouldnt be there just because well its not fair to have spent hours collecting stuff like Hooks that could be used on a Vehicle with Rope and Another vehicle to tow it just for the guy to plummet down and die but if you go too fast down you can still suffer Major Fall damage Again Making it possible for that Bandit Sniper to hit you (Also Other ideas are you could hook onto the Chopper and at the cost of lack of Protection Hang From the Bottom in a Climbing Harness -Slightly Worse Climbing suit you wear as a Backpack- and be dragged along)

• Like 1

I'll just leave my beans here. Crossing city over rooftops is a must have.

I think it should be added for sure, but it needs to be done right. Bunnyhopping should not be possible. Give it a 5 second cooldown and make it impossible to aim while jumping. Also, make it drain a good chunk of your stamina so its more risky than beneficial to do it in a fight.

Very easy to balance, climbing and jump would drop you stance and balance, take huge stamina, survivor will need time to regain their stance and catch their breath before they could effectively aim again.

Climbing should be very slow, because in reality, everyone would be afraid of falling, but you should be able to climb at least simple wall or something not above your reach. Just a simple slowly climb not fast fancy one.

Jumping/vaulting are essential for getting the hell out of there. Imagine sprinting fences after fences before jump and climb over a wall to get away from upgraded zeds in SA. To balance them, jumping and vaulting should have a very short animation of getting ready to jump/vault and another short animation of survivor regaining balance(perhaps while running forward).

Also they should takes huge stamina making you out of breath quickly and thus make your aim unbearable. The survivor should be crouching after jumping / falling rather high. Or roll&drop if it was even higher, I'm not talking about fancy drop&roll from parkour, I'm talking about those unsightly painful looking roll people do when they fall HARD, then force them to go prone after the roll

Dropping stance and wasting breath should be more than enough to force player not to jump in a middle of a gun fight. Though vaulting would become primary method of getting away.