entspeak

"In Combat" question.

Does being shot put one "In Combat?" I had what I thought was a hacker experience, but it may have turned out to be a really good sniper from a long distance, I don't know. Though, if it was truly a sniper, I have no idea where they could've been to have line of sight on me at such a distance that I wouldn't hear the weapon.

I was on a public server, and there was some discussion going on about a couple of players who may have been spawning hacked weapons into the game. A few minutes later, I'm running out of a farm building in the middle of nowhere surrounded by trees and, suddenly, with no sound whatsoever, my screen goes grey for a moment. I think, "that's weird." And then suddenly my leg is broken and I start bleeding. My combat indicator is still green. And then, it happens again, no sound whatsoever, grey screen and I'm now falling to the ground. My combat indicator was green, so I'm thinking it's a hacker and log out before I die.

I know that they removed the bullet proximity "in combat" detection so if someone fired from a distance and it only hit near me, I wouldn't go "in combat", but I thought if they hit you it would. Am I right in that assumption?

Edited by entspeak

If I remember right, it should put in combat, but I haven't been shot recently, so I'm not sure. I know it can be a bit glitchy anyways.

Hard to say if it was a hacker or not too. Usually if they're not planning on teleporting you or them and messing with you, they'll jut insta kill you. You can be hit with snipers without hearing them. For instance, the DMR can be fired from 800 m away, but only has an audible range of 180 m. On the other hand, all official sniper rifles deal upwards of 8000 blood, meaning you wouldn't be taking 2 shots from one and surviving. It's possible they had a M16A4 ACOG, that has a range of 600m with audible of 80m, and deals 3555 blood. Silenced weapons are also a possibility.

On another note, did you need medical help? I'm a medic and I can go heal you if you need it.

Even still when a sniper even drops a shot within a few yards of you the combat indicator still goes off, if he took a couple of shots then it certainly would have been going off.

would sound weird to hit a target with say something like a DMR over 700m out of audible range through woodland to hit him, either an AS50 or M107 would have dropped him in one, a DMR at that range would wound on the first shot.

Possible it was someone in a bush close with a silenced weapon, just out of range say about 70m from you taking a couple shots into you and the lag has maybe caused the combat system to glitch. Either way you are lucky to get out of that alive!

Regardless of what the wiki says about audible range, you can hear the guns well beyond the audible range. The CCO SD, for example, says it has an audible range of 0.1m... yet, someone shot at me with one just the other day from about 20m away and I could hear that silenced "pew, pew" sound loud and clear. I recently saw a video - can't find it at the moment - of a guy being shot from a very long distance with an AS-50... he said he heard, and you could hear it in the video, the muffled as-50 pop from a distance... a few moments of silence and then he falls dead. And, I didn't see or hear any bullets flying near me - no puffs in the dirt around me, no whirrs of bullets or even the thud of it hitting me.

Even still when a sniper even drops a shot within a few yards of you the combat indicator still goes off, if he took a couple of shots then it certainly would have been going off.
I believe that with 1.7.4.4 they removed the bullet proximity portion of the combat detection because they were having problems with tracking the bullets. But, the change log doesn't mention anything about going into combat when hit by a bullet - hence my question. Edited by entspeak

Does the audible range maybe only apply to zeds?

I certainly heard makarov shots from 200m away. They were faint but audible and the zeds near me had no reaction to them.

Edited by bigdogsco

Regardless of what the wiki says about audible range, you can hear the guns well beyond the audible range. The CCO SD, for example, says it has an audible range of 0.1m... yet, someone shot at me with one just the other day from about 20m away and I could hear that silenced "pew, pew" sound loud and clear. I recently saw a video - can't find it at the moment - of a guy being shot from a very long distance with an AS-50... he said he heard, and you could hear it in the video, the muffled as-50 pop from a distance... a few moments of silence and then he falls dead. And, I didn't see or hear any bullets flying near me - no puffs in the dirt around me, no whirrs of bullets or even the thud of it hitting me.

I believe that with 1.7.4.4 they removed the bullet proximity portion of the combat detection because they were having problems with tracking the bullets. But, the change log doesn't mention anything about going into combat when hit by a bullet - hence my question.

The audible range you and those above you speak of is the range zombies will hear and aggro on you. For players its a completely different matter. Sometimes when you get shot by the 12.7mm guns you dont hear the shot because they are so far away the bullet hits you so long before the audio that the game cuts it off because you are dead. That was with 12.7mm guns thought, others like DMR or likewise i beleive to give off a good puff well beyond 400m atleast, but at some longer distances you just cant hear it very well or not even at all.

With that said, i wonder, shouldnt you hear the crack of the bullets even if they do hit you? <- Disguss ;)

The audible range you and those above you speak of is the range zombies will hear and aggro on you. For players its a completely different matter. Sometimes when you get shot by the 12.7mm guns you dont hear the shot because they are so far away the bullet hits you so long before the audio that the game cuts it off because you are dead. That was with 12.7mm guns thought, others like DMR or likewise i beleive to give off a good puff well beyond 400m atleast, but at some longer distances you just cant hear it very well or not even at all.

With that said, i wonder, shouldnt you hear the crack of the bullets even if they do hit you? <- Disguss ;)

I'm much more interested in knowing, regardless of the sound issue, if you get hit by a bullet, does it put you in combat?