Sign in to follow this  
Jibr

Mis-branded Bandits?

First of all, I'd like to say that I believe bandits were a good idea. I understand that a big part of DayZ's excitement is not knowing if a certain player can be trusted and the interactions between strangers able to wipe each other out in the blink of an eye; being able to have an idea of whether someone you meet is a well-meaning survivor or a ruthless murderer, however, is excellent.

What I don't like about the bandit system is that the game doesn't discriminate between killing in self-defense and killing for the hell of it. Once a bandit, always a bandit, and players who have been at it for a while may find themselves forevermore unjustly clothed in black and shot at by survivors. So, my suggestion is: Shouldn't there be some way to rid yourself of Bandit status, or at least a way for the game to tell whether or not you're killing in self-defense? Perhaps if you're shot at by a player before you kill them it won't count towards being a Bandit.

While I'm sure this suggestion isn't perfectly original, I'm making it to discuss a way to fix what I see to be a flaw. Is there any feature that you'd like to be added that could potentially solve the problem of the mis-branded bandits?

You can rid yourself of bandit-status. Raise your humanity.

You can rid yourself of bandit-status. Raise your humanity.

Ah, I must have missed that- how embarassing. That's a fault on my part.One bit of my suggestion still stands, however; even if you have been shot before you kill someone, you're still on your way to becoming a bandit.

I could have sworn that bandit status was permanent. Obviously I'm suffering from Inadequate Research Syndrome :|

Edited by Jibr

It was intended so that if you already had taken damage from another person, you wouldn't lose any humanity if you killed or wounded him, but I'm not sure it's working correctly. You start out with 2500 and a kill usually costs 3000, but as humanity slowly regenerates, if you avoid killing other people for 1-2 hours, your humanity should regenerate enough to turn you back into a survivor.

I'm kind okay with any kind of killing hurts your humanity, the only time I earned a bandit skin, I simply took a trip into the wilderness, avoided player contacts for two hours and became a survivor again. If you keep placing yourself in situations, where you end up killing other survivors, even in self defense, I think the bandit skin is deserved. You don't have to kill everyone you meet, you don't even have to kill anyone, who shoots at you. :)

I think you should choose bandit or survivor when you start like with the gender and you get the bandit or surviver skin from day 0, no messing about. Another way would be to have certain servers where bandits can only kill survivors and survivors can only kill bandits, then if a surivory looking bandit shoots at you he's just wasting ammo and attracting real bandits

Yeah probably should have said this option could be used on some private servers for the people who want that type of gameplay, should have to call it something else though because thats not DayZ

Edited by stonerftm

That's not really how the system is intended to work.

Everyone has the potential to be a bandit, survivor, or hero. It's just a matter of what the player decides.

• Like 1

I think you should choose bandit or survivor when you start like with the gender and you get the bandit or surviver skin from day 0, no messing about. Another way would be to have certain servers where bandits can only kill survivors and survivors can only kill bandits, then if a surivory looking bandit shoots at you he's just wasting ammo and attracting real bandits

Please no

• Like 1

Please no

I know, that was for the OP and any others who want a less hardcore experience they can pay to rent servers and set it up like that if they pay for it they should be able to do that. Would fekn ruin the game for the rest of us if all servers did that