Sula

One tiny slip and it affects your whole life!

I'm putting this here as a cautionary tale. I see so many players who have been tempted to register at hack sites and then find they can't get whitelisted because they can't get through the security checks. No one will let them in so they can't play with their mates who did get through the checks. Imagine the fun they're having and you stuck outside because you're not allowed in and no amount of pleading or whining will help you because we're not your mum or dad.

Remember, everything you do has a consequence. It might not be today or tomorrow but the things you do follow you through life. Each day I see so many players applying to be whitelisted to join our servers but they fail at the first hurdle, they fail the security checks. They say but it was a year ago, two years ago. So? Doesn't matter if it was ten years ago. If you've been scripting or hacking then that will follow you and count against you when you want to get whitelisted for a server community. So think twice before you register with a hack site, or download some cheat script and tell yourself no one will ever know - yes, we will.

It makes me feel sad telling someone that there is no way they are being whitelisted for our servers because of mistakes they've already made in other games. It doesn't matter if you insist you didn't hack or script, you just registered to learn about stuff. Rules are rules, and we have to protect those members who want to be safe from hackers.

Sometimes, I honestly believe what the guy is telling me but frankly, no matter how much I feel for him, forget it - he's never getting whitelisted. My personal feelings are one thing, the rules are another and they are not to be broken. It's that guarantee of safety from hackers that we cannot risk by letting someone in who has a bad reputation or the slightest hint of scripting, hacking or cheating.

So spend some time thinking about how it might affect you in the years to come, if you ever think of buying scripts or hacking, or even just registering at hack sites for interest. If you do, then don't apply to be whitelisted because you're not getting in.

Edited by Sula
  • Like 11

OMG I HACKED RUNESCAIP PPLZ YOU SHUD HAVE SEEN IT I WAS RICH AND TOP ON LEDERBOARDS!!!1!11!

• Like 1

Nicely said.

I think the only part where we differ in opinion is that I enjoy checking on someone and finding out they've got a dodgy past. It makes me realise we're not wasting our time spending hours Whitelisting and however much someone begs, pleads or screams abuse I feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I tell them they're not coming in. Whatever their lame excuses are, everyone knows that when they download a hack or script, they are taking a chance.

Usually they are sorry they got caught, not sorry that they hacked in the first place, either way, I don't care.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

I agree with your reasoning and like I said, I only feel sad about having to say no, sometimes. ;)

• Like 1

Hello there

For many perhaps this is the first time they have seen a consequence to their "harmless ethical hacking"?

rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I hid your post because it was a pointless tl:dr post. Go check the rules and then come back and try again. You're fee to say what you like here but "Tl;dr blagh, blagh - I'm too cool to read the OP's post, blagh, waffle" isn't good enough.

Edited by Fraggle

Fraggle, you sexy beast, tell me what tl:dr means, I know what it means but I sometimes get blackouts and forget stuff...

It means "too long didn't read". People post it when they're trying to be cool or aloof. If it's too long for you to cope with then just don't post, it's as simple as that.

I read the op's post and the only thing I gathered from it was "if your using a hack sight, make sure its a different email address then your public used one"

so I posted that, shes not convincing people to not go on hacking forums, shes telling them to be smarter about it...

the tldr part was there just because, no need to get all omg omg on me

Edited by Skrewy

I read the op's post and the only thing I gathered from it was "if your using a hack sight, make sure its a different email address then your public used one"

so I posted that, hes not convincing people to not go on hacking forums, hes telling them to be smarter about it...

He´s not doing anything, because it´s a she.

Edit:

Thanks Fraggle <3

Edited by morgan32

@Skrewy - Did you read it or not? I thought it was too long? Also, when checking people for whitelisting there's more to it than checking an e-mail. And that wasn't the point of Sula's (she's not a man) post.

Luckily the process works and is proven over months, so that isn't up for debate.

Edited by Fraggle

Luckily the process works and is proven over months, so that isn't up for debate.

The process of proving that Sula isn´t a man?

Skrewy, your posts only show that you're not very intelligent and lack the ability to concentrate. Oh, and that you're a bit of an arse and like to sabotage serious threads. Well done on bringing yourself to the attention of the moderators. Like I said, not very intelligent. Like I also said, actions have consequences. So think before you post again.

Edited by Sula

What about players like me though?

I just recently searched the following on Google: "Rossums" hack

It shows that there is another person using the same username, from Pittsburgh, that is registered on a hacking website (HackForums).

What sort of measures are there in place to prevent me not being accepted into a server for the actions of another person at the other side of the world that just happened to have used the same username as me?

It shows that there is another person using the same username, from Pittsburgh, that is registered on a hacking website (HackForums).

What sort of measures are there in place to prevent me not being accepted into a server for the actions of another person at the other side of the world that just happened to have used the same username as me?

Some stalking profile information would get the answer on that. If the other guy is stupid enough to provide country then that is all we they need.

Edited by morgan32

Hello there

There is no "perfect" solution to the script/hacking problem, it's always going to have to be a compromise. It's a shame, but its' down to the scripters/hackers causing the issue.

rgds

LoK

Some stalking profile information would get the answer on that. If the other guy is stupid enough to provide country then that is all we they need.

It seems to just be a clean account on a hack forum asking a few questions about Minecraft and some other game.

I was just wondering how stringent the checks are because, say, for example he was from the UK like I am. - how would the moderators know who is who? Why should I be punished because someone decided to register with my username on another forum?

Just seems a bit flawed is all - I have nothing to hide with this handle, but I shouldn't have to go out of my way to choose a name that nobody else has used at all to register on a dodgy website.

EDIT:As a check would go at the moment, it is obvious that they live at the other side of the world and have the command of the English language a six year old would have - but I can imagine this affecting some other legitimate players.

Edited by Rossums

We don't take one single thing in isolation, Rossums. We do a lot of research as part of the security checks. It doesn't matter about sharing email addresses or countries. That's not what we go on. (So register under whatever names you like, you don't have to worry about that. My point was, people who register at hack sites, or buy scripts do so at their own risk. If they apply to be whitelisted they risk been banned) :thumbsup:

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

We don't take one single thing in isolation, Rossums. We do a lot of research as part of the security checks. It doesn't matter about sharing email addresses or countries. That's not what we go on. :thumbsup:

Alrighty, just curious - it's good to see that some administrators do go as far as to research who they are letting on their servers though.

I did some research on a hack site, but only because I am the author of the CheatFinder tool. No hacks were downloaded or tested (I didn't want to risk it)

Edited by disorder

TBH - This thread isn't to discuss the actual whitelisting process itself. It's not a perfect solution and trust me when I say we really would rather not have to bother with it at all as it's time consuming and frankly boring for everyone involved. However, it works. It's far from flawed and our playerbase can vouch for this.

Rossums, we're well aware that usernames aren't unique, to get whitelisted on our servers there's a few things we check and we also allow ourselves to exercise common sense. We talk to people in TS and make our judgement based on the info we have.

Edited by Fraggle

TBH - This thread isn't to discuss the actual whitelisting process itself. It's not a perfect solution and trust me when I say we really would rather not have to bother with it at all as it's time consuming and frankly boring for everyone involved. However, it works. It's far from flawed and our playerbase can vouch for this.

Rossums, we're well aware that usernames aren't unique, to get whitelisted on our servers there's a few things we check and we also allow ourselves to exercise common sense. We talk to people in TS and make our judgement based on the info we have.

I got that from Sulas last post, thanks.

I wasn't really concerned about the actual process, obviously it will go a lot by judgement and common sense, just curious how you would deal with the example I gave but it sounds like a lot of common sense is exercised rather than just taking everything and face value without further research.

I like the sound of the servers though, I might give them a try when DayZ standalone launches and I have access to something other than my laptop.

Good luck with all the server duties.

• Like 1

Exactly. I've no intention of going into details of what we do do. :thumbsup: Jesus, there are days when I feel like walking away from this place when I see a well-intended and useful thread trampled by some of the crud that gets posted.

Edit: Right, I'm off to sort out lunch. I could do with the break. Now please, for god's sake don't break the internet while I'm gone! :P

Edited by Sula

Cheers Rossums, come check us out when you get set-up. Like I say, don't worry about your username being used by someone else, we're all old enough and wise enough to know the tricks of the trade.

Now Sula, have your thread back!

Edited by Fraggle