Sign in to follow this  
Saltiren

Extremely low FPS Please help

Hello I have recently bought Arma II Combined Operations from Steam and installed the Day Z mod. I can play the game except I get about 4 fps. Here is my rig:

Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

Processor AMD Sempron™ SI-42, ~2.1GHz

Memory 2814MB RAM (Windows says 3.00 GB, not sure why different)

Hard Drive 160 GB

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G

Physics Card No

( I got this from my Xfire account)

I have all setting on the lowest. I can play other CPU intensive games of the same caliber with about 60 FPS. The only other program I run with it is of course, Steam. I have done the thing where you open the Arma 2 text file and change the values to 1 and that helped a little. Please help me I really want to play this game and I should have been able to run it. Thank you.

well you dont exactly have the greatest computer... id recommend investing in a much... much better computer, you dont even meet the minimal required settings, Arma 2 is very CPU intensive and running it on a single core isnt good. When exactly was your computer made?

oh and as a side note i just found your processor on amazon for $10.98... go figure

Edited by Chase9548

wow, just wow.

can I ask what other cpu intensive games on par with arma 2 is your single core running at 60fps?

and id also love to know this, i have a hard time believing your getting more than maybe 15 fps on a game as CPU intensive and arma 2 Edited by Chase9548

wow, just wow.

can I ask what other cpu intensive games on par with arma 2 is your single core running at 60fps?

Gmod, Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, Half life 2, and Sid Meiers Civ 5 all run good for me. And if I am to upgrade, suggestions? (this is a laptop, in case you haven't figured it out, Working towards a gaming PC)

Gmod, Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, Half life 2, and Sid Meiers Civ 5 all run good for me. And if I am to upgrade, suggestions? (this is a laptop, in case you haven't figured it out, Working towards a gaming PC)

My advice? Desktop. I know, it's a little disappointing, but it's what you need. I highly recommend custom building one, as pre-built desktops cost more.

First off, I'm no PC building wizard, so I'd recommend using Google and the Tom's hardware forums. Use the search function on it. You should be able to build one for a fair price with some help.

And lastly, always check the minimum system requirements before you buy a game. It'll save you a headache.

• Like 2

Thanks mate. And Beans to you for being a bit kinder than the previous repies. I've been building one for some time now but it isn't near completion. And I haven't let Minimum Requirements stop me before. Thanks again.

well you dont exactly have the greatest computer... id recommend investing in a much... much better computer, you dont even meet the minimal required settings, Arma 2 is very CPU intensive and running it on a single core isnt good. When exactly was your computer made?

oh and as a side note i just found your processor on amazon for $10.98... go figure

I found it for $3.00 new lol. Edited by Simbadude6

If you want advice on parts for your new gaming pc (good move, laptops will never be as good, but they will always be more expensive) these are the parts to get in terms of bang for your buck IMO:

Intel i5 3570K (not 3770K, which is i7 >.<) (I say Intel because AMD has some issues with DayZ, Intel CPU's handle it better)

Z77 Motherboard.

8GB RAM (I would go with Corsair Vengeance personally)

Either nVidia GTX 660 ti or AMD 7850

Either a 72,000RPM good HDD or an SSD.

Case is more a personal thing whether you like the looks or want it to be quiet etc. But Coolermaster and Corsair and others make good ones.

A good 80 Plus (Bronze, Silver or Gold would be even better) 650W + Power supply (dont cheap out on this and get the cheapest one you can find)

Edited by Rooneye

If you want advice on parts for your new gaming pc (good move, laptops will never be as good, but they will always be more expensive) these are the parts to get in terms of bang for your buck IMO:

Intel i5 3770K (I say Intel because AMD has some issues with DayZ, Intel CPU's handle it better)

Z77 Motherboard.

8GB RAM (I would go with Corsair Vengeance personally)

Either nVidia GTX 660 ti or AMD 7850

Either a 72,000RPM good HDD or an SSD.

Case is more a personal thing whether you like the looks or want it to be quiet etc. But Coolermaster and Corsair and others make good ones.

A good 80 Plus (Bronze, Silver or Gold would be even better) 650W + Power supply (dont cheap out on this and get the cheapest one you can find)

That'll all be good, might wanna edit some mistake in there though, I usually do i5 3570k i5 2570k so many times :(

Tell us what you want to spend, and we'll give you a build, considering you would like to build a new custom made PC, that one you have is quite old and is much older than mine which I run on like 5-10 fps in cities :(

That'll all be good, might wanna edit some mistake in there though, I usually do i5 3570k i5 2570k so many times :(

Tell us what you want to spend, and we'll give you a build, considering you would like to build a new custom made PC, that one you have is quite old and is much older than mine which I run on like 5-10 fps in cities :(

lol haha yeah sorry i5 3570K not 3770k (i7) :D Ill change it now.

Hmm. As a price range I am going to say about 300-400. I am not looking for anything amazing, just good enough to play games on with good FPS. Having a motherboard would let me build up from there, I am fine with a Stock Heat Sink fan. As for power supply nothing over the top. I like the other suggestion of 8 GB of ram, Corsair Vengeance was my first choice seeing it highly recommended. As for HDD or SSD I think that an HDD would suit me better ( for now at least :P). I'd really appreciate the advice of what parts to get because I have literally been looking at parts all day.

I would try playing on a higher setting. It worked for me. When on low settings, the game runs on your processor, and unless you have an i7 processor, it will not help much. When on high, or even normal settings, it uses mainly your video card.

I would try playing on a higher setting. It worked for me. When on low settings, the game runs on your processor, and unless you have an i7 processor, it will not help much. When on high, or even normal settings, it uses mainly your video card.

Tried it. Did not work.