Sign in to follow this  
SwissArmy (DayZ)

Change the Backpack carrying structure

Backpacks can carry a strange assortment and the space items occupy is at fault. I'm sorry in advance for bringing up something that has most likely already been covered.

Does anyone seriously think that 24 bandages would use up a complete Coyote Backpack? Do you think you could easily find space for 4 full jerry cans?

I would suggest increasing the number of slots for all backpacks and those for the body ex-backpack but changing the amount of space each item occupies so that the proportions between very different items are more realistic. I know this may mean a change to the Arma II system and is not related to DayZ directly, so perhaps Rocket could bring this up for an update in Arma II? Especially as there seems to be no plan to use Arma 3 as the basis of a DayZ extension....

Or am I getting this all wrong and Rocket has worked it into standalone?

• Like 2

The whole inventory system, not just backpacks, is terrible. Rocket has acknowledged this, so I'm thinking it will be radically different in the SA. Hopefully anyways :D

Yeah. I've backpacked with way more than I can carry in DayZ (2 rifles in pack, 600 rounds of mags, food, water, med kits, tent, sleeping bag, etc etc etc). On the other I would never go far with wheels and full jerry cans...

The best backbag ever is the "anus" it has ∞ Space slots and can fit any item you can think off, if it goes in sideways, your character gets extra pleasure from it. L4D2 made an excellent use of this item, and so did Killing Floor.

I'm hoping on an encumbrance system. We shouldn't be able to run at full speed with 80 liters of fuel or a rotary assembly in our inventory. Bandages should stack in 5's IMO.

I'm hoping on an encumbrance system. We shouldn't be able to run at full speed with 80 liters of fuel or a rotary assembly in our inventory. Bandages should stack in 5's IMO.

indeed it is silly, should also affect noise levels.

We should even be able to carry the rotor assembly in game lol.

We should even be able to carry the rotor assembly in game lol.

Yeah that thing has some sharp edges, the first thing you would hear after 200 meters of jogging would be "Riiip" of anything getting ripped to shred used to carrying it on your back.

As i have suggested before, objects that are too big or heavy should not fit in a backpack, they should rather be carried by hands. What if there was a need for two players to carry the rotary assembly? I bet one man wouldn't carry it for long.

Considering the inventory i 100% with the poster. A system taking into consideration volum and weight would be great.

I don´t want to have an easy time fitting stuff, it makes it too easy. If you´re going to think realistic on it then you can carry a hundred arrows, at least. You can´t carry wheels because they are too heavy, same with engine parts (which you would need good machinery to be able to lift / build in a car) and how exactly are you going to get this car to a garage to fix it? Call a tow truck?

You can´t make a game realistic without breaking it.