m.w. vindicator

How seasons would help DayZ Game.

Just have the seasons follow the seasons of the area around the Baltic Sea(This is supposedly where Chernarus is located, right?). That way we'd get all of the 4 seasons, each lasting only 3 months each(roughly).

When it comes to the implementation of the seasons it's pretty simple. As long as all the assets (buildings, trees, ground textures etc.) have positional and rotational information embedded in them all that has to be done is the assets for different seasons have to be created. Then all you have to do is you need to write some code that replaces the assets with their seasonal variants. Then have a script that runs this code automatically on the central hive when a season change occurs.

Of course this would mean that if a player was on a server that was about to have it's season changed they would have to log out for the duration of the change. There are also two ways of changing the assets. Either do it like S2 games does with HoN and force the player client to download the textures each time there is a season change, or keep the assets on peoples computers and just have them change from there. First option saves hard drive space, second option bandwidth.

While this would take time it's not that difficult to do as long as you know what you are doing, so I don't see why this wouldn't be implemented. It would only add value to the game. I'd even pay for something like this. :)

Just have the seasons follow the seasons of the area around the Baltic Sea(This is supposedly where Chernarus is located, right?). That way we'd get all of the 4 seasons, each lasting only 3 months each(roughly).

When it comes to the implementation of the seasons it's pretty simple. As long as all the assets (buildings, trees, ground textures etc.) have positional and rotational information embedded in them all that has to be done is the assets for different seasons have to be created. Then all you have to do is you need to write some code that replaces the assets with their seasonal variants. Then have a script that runs this code automatically on the central hive when a season change occurs.

Of course this would mean that if a player was on a server that was about to have it's season changed they would have to log out for the duration of the change. There are also two ways of changing the assets. Either do it like S2 games does with HoN and force the player client to download the textures each time there is a season change, or keep the assets on peoples computers and just have them change from there. First option saves hard drive space, second option bandwidth.

While this would take time it's not that difficult to do as long as you know what you are doing, so I don't see why this wouldn't be implemented. It would only add value to the game. I'd even pay for something like this. :)

I heard that seasons could be a DLC like feature. Whether we have to pay for it, depends on SA sales

I agree you on everything, expect I think seasons should be shorter. Maybe, a few weeks to a month per season, so that we get to experience each season more frequently. Immersion wouldn't suffer from shorter seasons

I heard that seasons could be a DLC like feature. Whether we have to pay for it, depends on SA sales

I agree you on everything, expect I think seasons should be shorter. Maybe, a few weeks to a month per season, so that we get to experience each season more frequently. Immersion wouldn't suffer from shorter seasons

The reason I'd rather have realistic seasons instead of shorter ones is because I don't want seasons to be this passing thing where people go 'Oh it's winter again'. Having longer seasons would make them more precious, if that makes any sense.