m.w. vindicator

How seasons would help DayZ Game.

sounds like a pretty good idea and like you said it would take a pretty long time till this idea could be implemented to the game. however everyone has their own preference to the game such as a winter map or a spring map. with the new standalone coming out it would seem fair to have three or four different main maps that all have 4 different settings on them in terms of seasons, 1. no season 2. season changing every week 3. season changing every 2/3 weeks and 4. seasons changing every month.

reason why 4 is a month long is because it seems to fly by in my opinion pretty quick especially when your still in school (college for me). the extreme for this though would literally be one full cycle of the year season where it can go into more detail as to having the same features that the server area is having. So lets say for example there is a NY server and a Michigan server. NY just got hit with snow during the winter time where as Michigan never got hit with snow. The servers would literally mirror what ever time zone/ area it is in indicating that when its dark and there are thunderstorms going on in the area, the server will be dark and have thunderstorms as long as your on a server that is reflected by your area.

At the same time community's within states or country's will want to band together to buy servers that reflect their time zone so they can witness a "life like simulator" as to surviving in the same conditions they see right outside their door frame. The only way this could work though is if the servers go to a "hive" similar to how our characters are saved but those hives are seperated because each one follows the news in that area indicating how the servers will be able to change.

Optimistic but none the less creative!

Am I the only one who hates the weather effects? Everyday we have rain, fog, sun, clouds, thunder, it just cycles through them, rinse and repeat style. I'd rather it was just clear all the time personally. The fog is a joke too, its not the proper fog that's in ArmA 2 that actually looks like fog, instead its just the exact same effect as going into options and turning view distance down to 500. If you like fog, turn your view distance down :D I say again I hate the weather effects, not realistic really, when it rains nothing gets wet! I still hear grass crunching like it's bone dry anyways.

Though it would be cool if like the trees turned green in the summer or whatever, there is an addon for arma 2 you can get that does this. Makes Chernarus look like summer instead of the permanant autumn it is now. And in winter it would look cool all white covered in snow. But we dont need weather! Join me in my anti-weather campaign! We'll make one of those internet petition things and get on our high horses and shit! Come join me!....No?...Ok then :(

Edited by Rooneye

Am I the only one who hates the weather effects? Everyday we have rain, fog, sun, clouds, thunder, it just cycles through them, rinse and repeat style. I'd rather it was just clear all the time personally. The fog is a joke too, its not the proper fog that's in ArmA 2 that actually looks like fog, instead its just the exact same effect as going into options and turning view distance down to 500. If you like fog, turn your view distance down :D I say again I hate the weather effects, not realistic really, when it rains nothing gets wet! I still hear grass crunching like it's bone dry anyways.

Though it would be cool if like the trees turned green in the summer or whatever, there is an addon for arma 2 you can get that does this. Makes Chernarus look like summer instead of the permanant autumn it is now. And in winter it would look cool all white covered in snow. But we dont need weather! Join me in my anti-weather campaign! We'll make one of those internet petition things and get on our high horses and shit! Come join me!....No?...Ok then :(

I have stated that if you don't like seasons some servers might have it turned off entirely. If you dislike a certain season then you could simply play on servers in the opposite season.

Man i love the weather, especially when it rains :D

I, personally, would like 1:1 seasons, bound to actual weather in the region, where the server is stationed.

Edited by SystemFailure

I would like the season cycle to last a full year. Weather effects shouldn't also cycle daily. There could be a couple of days without rain... Is it that irrational?

I agree weather should be more unpredictable.

I, personally, would like 1:1 seasons, bound to actual weather in the region, where the server is stationed.

That would require massive amounts of resources. Also the main hive would have servers with many different seasons. Every server will be playing Chernarus plus so it would make sense if the were in the same season. As I have stated X and Y servers would require less resources and be better suited to the game. While it would neat if dayZ mirrored real life it would add anything to the game that the system stated in the OP wouldn't do.

1:1 time ... 1:1 seasons.

But who would want to wait 4 months just to play in fall to winter or spring to summer. That wouldn't solve the problem mentioned in the OP at all.

Give me a reason why 4 month long seasons would be beneficial besides blunt realism ,which in this case, doesn't add any authenticity...

But who would want to wait 4 months just to play in fall to winter or spring to summer. That wouldn't solve the problem mentioned in the OP at all.

Give me a reason why 4 month long seasons would be beneficial besides blunt realism ,which in this case, doesn't add any authenticity...

As simply as you choose a server because it's daytime, you could also choose the server with your favorite season.

As simply as you choose a server because it's daytime, you could also choose the server with your favorite season.

But then the main hive would be a disorganized mess, like I have stated already.

I love this idea, I was thinking about it last night and I thought I'd check the forums. Rocket NEEDS to hear about this suggestion. The addition of seasons would fundamentally engross players into a whole different world. It would really bring more realism.

I believe there should be only ONE GLOBAL SEASONAL PATTERN (ie.....servers cannot decide which season it should be), this would ultimately bring an emotional connection amongst players all over the world throughout many different servers. An addition to this suggestion could be dynamic weather. Just imagine:

"hey you going on DayZ tonight?"

"yea but there's gonna be a huge snowstorm so I'm gonna take it easy and not travel anywhere far."

I hope this becomes more popular so Rocket notices :).

I love this idea, I was thinking about it last night and I thought I'd check the forums. Rocket NEEDS to hear about this suggestion. The addition of seasons would fundamentally engross players into a whole different world. It would really bring more realism.

I believe there should be only ONE GLOBAL SEASONAL PATTERN (ie.....servers cannot decide which season it should be), this would ultimately bring an emotional connection amongst players all over the world throughout many different servers. An addition to this suggestion could be dynamic weather. Just imagine:

"hey you going on DayZ tonight?"

"yea but there's gonna be a huge snowstorm so I'm gonna take it easy and not travel anywhere far."

I hope this becomes more popular so Rocket notices :).

I am glad you searched instead of starting a new topic. :beans:

There is good news. The moderators noticed this suggestion and they asked Matt Lightfoot in a recent interview. Matt Lightfoot is Rocket's number 2 man!

Matt said they would consider it and that it could be very beneficial. Offcourse, it would be time consuming and expensive so they won't release it right away.

I am glad you searched instead of starting a new topic. :beans:

There is good news. The moderators noticed this suggestion and they asked Matt Lightfoot in a recent interview. Matt Lightfoot is Rocket's number 2 man!

Matt said they would consider it and that it could be very beneficial. Offcourse, it would be time consuming and expensive so they won't release it right away.

Wonderful, that is f'king awesome. Yea I wouldn't expect it to be released right away.

Wonderful, that is f'king awesome. Yea I wouldn't expect it to be released right away.

Yeah they said they might do it as some sort of DLC. If the community showed enough desire the team would go forward with seasons. I would be that people would want seasons in the months prior to release.

As much as I love this idea, the thought nags me; who would plow the roads?!

Unless... Unless there were no roads to be plowed. Let the snow cover it all, and let the survivors deal with it.

I myself really hope that characters are locked to one server. Keeping that in mind, 1-week seasons sound reasonable. A week is a long time.

Love the idea, and fret not, I would love it as much if the seasons lasted years. (inb4gameofthrones)

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 1

As much as I love this idea, the thought nags me; who would plow the roads?!

Unless... Unless there were no roads to be plowed. Let the snow cover it all, and let the survivors deal with it.

I myself really hope that characters are locked to one server. Keeping that in mind, 1-week seasons sound reasonable. A week is a long time.

Love the idea, and fret not, I would love it as much if the seasons lasted years. (inb4gameofthrones)

As long as the seasons last at least a week, I would be happy. A year seems too long :blink:

That's a very good idea! Would love to go around preparing for the winter etc.

It would be something like this ( Not really)

That's a very good idea! Would love to go around preparing for the winter etc.

It would be something like this ( Not really)

When there would be snow. But I don't think there will be nazi zeds and chainsaws.