Sign in to follow this  
DiazWaffleCrabstro

Couple of moronic logic's that should be fixed.

Ok i will populate the list as i remember them/run to them again. I will now list a couple of things that fly into the face of all logic and would be nice to see them fixed. they have propably been listed many times, but searching with faulty logic axe knife as one search, yielded way too large a swath of results.

-Cant gut animals with an axe.... Really? what is your logic behind that, please someone clarify, it is a sharp object, with more Heft and weight in it than a hunting knife but you cant use it to gut or skin animals according to the dev teams logic >_< An axe, that is sharp enough to be considered a splitting axe, and to kill a zombie in one hit.... cant gut an animal. ok...

-Hunting knives, what is stopping me from carrying 2? or to use it as a weapon for that matter.

-Why is it that the soda cans, give me no nutrition, despite them having lots of sugar, it should atleast give a minor energy boost, alongside with the quenching of the thirst, which brings me to our next item on the list of stupid things.

-Why cant my guy survive longer than 3 hours without drinking? you guys have a realistic day and night cycle... but comeon. a person can go on for 3 days without drinking, 1 whole day if he stays active the whole time. and 5-days to week without eating food.

-WATCH OUT! there is a small 15cm high elevation when going through a door while crouching, it means i must stand up... comeon, how stupid is that?

-Also someone tell me how the 70-82 desibel thud from an m203 is suddenly louder than a silenced pistol (which btw is still well over 95 desibels) Or the actual explosion of the grenade itself....

Hmmm allthough... chernarus.... i gues we truly are in the magical bakwards land of soviet russia?

Edited by DiazWaffleCrabstro
  • Like 1

Because DayZ is in a beta and minor things like that have very low priority, anytime something illogical happens repeat the mantra "this is a zombie mod to a milsim, wait for standalone"

You dehydrate in 3 hours to make up for the fact you don't dehydrate whilst offline.

Have you ever had to clean a deer? Yeah, good luck doing it with an axe. It's a LOT more delicate than you think.

• Like 2

Why you can't survive 3 hours without drinks?

Try running up and down hills for 3 hours with a backpack that has two weapons inside, while you are also carrying another weapon in your hands and a sidearm in a holster. Also, a vest that holds magazines emergency supplies etc. You'd pass out from exhaustion and die.

• Like 3

An explosion sending a 30mm grenade over a hundred meters is louder than a suppressed pistol being fired, seems logical to me. Do you have real life experience with both those?

Ok i will populate the list as i remember them/run to them again. I will now list a couple of things that fly into the face of all logic and would be nice to see them fixed. they have propably been listed many times, but searching with faulty logic axe knife as one search, yielded way too large a swath of results.

-Cant gut animals with an axe.... Really? what is your logic behind that, please someone clarify, it is a sharp object, with more Heft and weight in it than a hunting knife but you cant use it to gut or skin animals according to the dev teams logic >_< An axe, that is sharp enough to be considered a splitting axe, and to kill a zombie in one hit.... cant gut an animal. ok...

-Hunting knives, what is stopping me from carrying 2? or to use it as a weapon for that matter.

-Why is it that the soda cans, give me no nutrition, despite them having lots of sugar, it should atleast give a minor energy boost, alongside with the quenching of the thirst, which brings me to our next item on the list of stupid things.

-Why cant my guy survive longer than 3 hours without drinking? you guys have a realistic day and night cycle... but comeon. a person can go on for 3 days without drinking, 1 whole day if he stays active the whole time. and 5-days to week without eating food.

-WATCH OUT! there is a small 15cm high elevation when going through a door while crouching, it means i must stand up... comeon, how stupid is that?

-Also someone tell me how the 70-82 desibel thud from an m203 is suddenly louder than a silenced pistol (which btw is still well over 95 desibels) Or the actual explosion of the grenade itself....

Hmmm allthough... chernarus.... i gues we truly are in the magical bakwards land of soviet russia?

1. You can't gut animals with an axe because you can't in real life, axes are never used to gut animals, it's delicate. You can't just chop it up with an axe.

2. a) Why do you want more than one knife?

B) Knives wouldn't make a very effective anti-zombie weapon anyway, given how close up to a zombie you would need to get.

3. I don't understand the point you're making, there's no system of obtaining nutrients or boosts from food and water in DayZ. You simply eat and drink when you need to.

4. Yes, people can survive 3 days without drinking, but this has many negative consequences as you become dehydrated. Given that you're running about, fighting, vaulting, chopping down trees etc. in DayZ, the current system isn't as unreasonable as you think. Not to mention that water and food metres don't go down when you're offline so if you were to make it every 3 days in game time you needed to drink, you would hardly ever drink.

5. Fair enough.

6. Also, fair enough.

Finally, it's based on the Czech Republic. Not Soviet Russia.

Edited by ComradeClash
  • Like 1

You dehydrate in 3 hours to make up for the fact you don't dehydrate whilst offline.

Makes sense

Have you ever had to clean a deer? Yeah, good luck doing it with an axe. It's a LOT more delicate than you think.

It worked for cavemen, dont tell me your such a dumb individual that "Uuuh i am in a survival situation but i dont have a knife but i have this perfectly good axe which i cant use because i am a snob about it"

Why you can't survive 3 hours without drinks?

Try running up and down hills for 3 hours with a backpack that has two weapons inside, while you are also carrying another weapon in your hands and a sidearm in a holster. Also, a vest that holds magazines emergency supplies etc. You'd pass out from exhaustion and die.

A human body can sustain itself during harsh activities for a period of up to an 24 hours, that is a known fact, if you just walk with a light load, or stay still, you can go for 2-3 days easily. i had to carry a 42-48kg pack with me which included a fully loaded combatvest and a backbag during my conscription on a 18 hour march, all we had was ,75 litre field canteen filled with water, most of us didnt use even half of that and made it out ok. So no, you would not and for the record, we did interval running, 200m walk, 100m running for 3 hours 2 weeks later, most of us didnt even touch our canteens with 27kg packs. So go figure, maybe you havent actually done any of that and only assumed so. Also one major factor is how you pack your shit, the less it moves, the less it wears you down, that 42-48kg pack, felt more like a 15-20kg pack when we strapped it in properly and had it properly packed, you would seriously need to suck at organizing if you cant pack your shit tightly.

An explosion sending a 30mm grenade over a hundred meters is louder than a suppressed pistol being fired, seems logical to me. Do you have real life experience with both those?

Measured with a desibel counter i love how people have a missguided conseptions(wasnt sure what to make of your reply :S) of a "silenced" pistol, even those make a noice close to 100 db easily. We measured this during a large excersise/competition during 2004 during my conscription, and indeed a 40mm grenade launchers initial thud is way lower than a sound a "silenced" pistol with sub sonic ammo makes. not to speak of the explosion of the 40mm grenade, only way you would get a pistol make a lower noice, is to internally supress it, and as far as i know, none of those in this game.

1. You can't gut animals with an axe because you can't in real life, axes are never used to gut animals, it's delicate. You can't just chop it up with an axe.

2. a) Why do you want more than one knife?

B) Knives wouldn't make a very effective anti-zombie weapon anyway, given how close up to a zombie you would need to get.

3. I don't understand the point you're making, there's no system of obtaining nutrients or boosts from food and water in DayZ. You simply eat and drink when you need to.

4. Yes, people can survive 3 days without drinking, but this has many negative consequences as you become dehydrated. Given that you're running about, fighting, vaulting, chopping down trees etc. in DayZ, the current system isn't as unreasonable as you think. Not to mention that water and food metres don't go down when you're offline so if you were to make it every 3 days in game time you needed to drink, you would hardly ever drink.

5. Fair enough.

6. Also, fair enough.

Finally, it's based on the Czech Republic. Not Soviet Russia.

#1. again the caveman answer+who said about chopping, you could do it little by little assuming you havent tried to chop rocks with that thing.

#2. to give for a buddy, stash somewhere if you think you might run into an effy situation so you know where to get one. multiple reasons.

#3. i was trying to make a point, that the sugars, especially the carbs they give is a nice source of energy, so why not have it have a small effect on the "hungry" meter?

The soviet russia reference.... welcome to the internet. it is an old meme, also seeing how it used to be part of the soviet block, effectively it was part of soviet russia = The magical backwars land.

:)

It worked for cavemen, dont tell me your such a dumb individual that "Uuuh i am in a survival situation but i dont have a knife but i have this perfectly good axe which i cant use because i am a snob about it"

You misunderstood. You can't clean a deer with an axe because it's such a delicate operation. You try to use an axe, you'll just end destroying the deer. If you actually went out and gutted one, you'd understand.

While I'm not an expert on primitive tools and technology, I'm fairly certain that small flints where shaped to skin/dress carcasses in days of yore. As has been said, it is relatively delicate work suited to precise tools.

The geometry of an axe blade would make it very difficult to get sharp enough, let alone keep sharp enough. Have a close look at the edge of an axe blade. Then have a close look at a skinning knife. They look different because they are used for different purposes.

I find it hard to believe anyone could carry that weight for that length of time and consume only 350ml of water. You say you did, and I wasn't there. I still don't find it credible.

To perform consistently over an extended period of time a person needs to maintain a level of hydration (amongst other factors), not swing to and from badly dehydrated.

From my recollection, 40mm makes a deep thump when fired rather than the sharp report from gunfire (even if it is suppressed). Higher register noise is far more easily noticed and located than low register sounds.

How you pack a heavy load can influence how comfortable it is to carry and how cumbersome it feels to move while carrying it. It will not make it weigh less or take significantly less effort to carry it around.

You misunderstood. You can't clean a deer with an axe because it's such a delicate operation. You try to use an axe, you'll just end destroying the deer. If you actually went out and gutted one, you'd understand.

ill just go ahead and repeat/clarify. It worked for cavemen with serrated FRAGILE! tools that could handle less cutting than a modern durable metal axe, it comes down to how you handle that axe. So i will say again, i will call your bullshit on this, sure it may not be pretty, but dont tell me its raining when your trying to piss in my eye.

An ax is a bludgeoning/cleaving weapon or tool, you could possibly get SOMETHING to eat by trying to gut/skin an animal with it......but more often than not you will just make a mess. Cavemen used certain types of sharpened rocks that would hold an edge and fit in your hand to do the delicate job of cleaning their kills. Maybe if you gutted a cow with an ax, you would only get 1 steak-like lump of flesh, wasting the rest because of the tool used.

While I'm not an expert on primitive tools and technology, I'm fairly certain that small flints where shaped to skin/dress carcasses in days of yore. As has been said, it is relatively delicate work suited to precise tools.

The geometry of an axe blade would make it very difficult to get sharp enough, let alone keep sharp enough. Have a close look at the edge of an axe blade. Then have a close look at a skinning knife. They look different because they are used for different purposes.

I find it hard to believe anyone could carry that weight for that length of time and consume only 350ml of water. You say you did, and I wasn't there. I still don't find it credible.

To perform consistently over an extended period of time a person needs to maintain a level of hydration (amongst other factors), not swing to and from badly dehydrated.

From my recollection, 40mm makes a deep thump when fired rather than the sharp report from gunfire (even if it is suppressed). Higher register noise is far more easily noticed and located than low register sounds.

How you pack a heavy load can influence how comfortable it is to carry and how cumbersome it feels to move while carrying it. It will not make it weigh less or take significantly less effort to carry it around.

Hunting knife, not a skinning knife. different tools, hunting knife is meant for multiple purposes and has the same angle of sharpening on it as a splitting axe(i am assuming the hatchets we get are splitting axes, due to the fact they are called Hatchets and can cut wood. Ergo my prewious argument) I never said it was efficient. but it was doable.

as far as the march goes, that was in a flat terrain, and we did our packing well. so we had as little loose things as possible. the less it moves the less useless movement your body needs to make, had we gone over to the woods the whole 18 hours, i am pretty sure though i would have personally downed 2 canteen fulls. no doubt, simply saying things can be done, if you know how, Also i am not saying we didnt drink alot after that :P Also back to packing, if you can disperse the load well(pack well and strap it properly to your torso) you will use less energy as your muscles dont struggle to keep the load still, and you dont have to correct/shift it every now and then. You tell me there isnt a factor in there if you need to shift/change how the load is in your backbag every 5-10 minutes compared to not having to, add taking the pack of your back every 30-60 minutes. it will have a toll on you, A lot of us did that on our first march when we had no clue how to pack our shit, we were shot after 3½ hours.

An ax is a bludgeoning/cleaving weapon or tool, you could possibly get SOMETHING to eat by trying to gut/skin an animal with it......but more often than not you will just make a mess. Cavemen used certain types of sharpened rocks that would hold an edge and fit in your hand to do the delicate job of cleaning their kills. Maybe if you gutted a cow with an ax, you would only get 1 steak-like lump of flesh, wasting the rest because of the tool used.

So your saying if theres a lil amount of skin/connective tissue on a meat piece, you consider it a waste and would not cook it, and be a snob about it, seriously people, if you were surviving would you really be that fucking picky about skin and connective tissue(skin by the way peels off nicely when you cook your damn meat, so problem?)

Edit: Also you know that metal thingy Behind the actual sharp edge of the axe? you know you can take a grip from it, you dont have to be shy princess. when you do that with a splitting axe, look at the way you have it in your hands, sure might take a bit more wrist power to handle it due to the whole wooden shaft attached to it, but really, is the community here lacking this much creativity that they absolutely shun the use of an axe in a survival game?

On side note, i love you guys who give me shit for throwing in the idea of using an axe, goes to show that even in a survival game, the internet"Do it all man" absolutely must have prime cut meat, or he will ditch it as a food source, nah, no skin for me Gaston, if it has skin or isnt cut perfectly, throw it for the hounds. Most of you guys instead of a survivor or something like that need a new rank ;D "still in glass shoes"

NO. What I am saying/suggesting is that you could improvise and gut an animal with an ax, but because you use an ax and NOT the right tool for the job, your yield is penalized by only getting a portion of the available meat.

On a side note, you can be a real jackass when people try to have a discussion with you. Try not to take things so personal(Feel free to take this post personally) and don't jump down someones throat when they question your "facts".

I asked you if you had experience with 30mm grenades and silenced weapons and you responded like I was arguing with you. You have to understand that when you simply throw out some things that might be common knowledge to you, other people might not understand and thus question your facts. I wasn't sure if you pulled those decibel numbers out off your ass, a wiki, or you were chuck norris and you handle those weapons on a daily basis, so I asked.

It obvious you've never hunted and skinned large animals before. (Neither have I) so perhaps having a discussion with the people telling you that you can't gut one with an axe would be better than calling them princesses.

Your ideas might be good, but you're delivery and attitude are driving them into the ground.

Edit: Here's another one for your list, why can't I collect wood without an axe? I'm sure you've collected wood in your life by hand, most outdoor types have. So it must be obvious the difference between chopping up wood with an axe and collecting whatever you can with your hands. They both produce wood, but the axe does a better job and makes the job quicker. It's the same with an axe cutting up dead animal. You'll get some meat, but it's not going to be the same quality and amount as using the proper tool.

How about making the axe take 10x as long, and you get 25% yield???

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 1

I've done the old butcher thing, It's not really suited to axe tactics, but precision is irrelevant in a "do or die" situation.

I'd be more worried about collecting cuts of meat with the same tools you use to smash zombies' faces in.

How about adding "do you want this gun? Hold on a second while I clear a space and put it on the floor for you."

And the fact that there are millions of empty cans lying around, but when you eat beans, you eat the can too. Same with drinks.

Infinite matches?! They could at least give us a fire-steel if it's going to last ages, it's more believable.

The list goes on.

Best not get your knickers in a twist about it though.

In reference to the Axe in particular, as said SOMTHING would be obtainable to eat, so perhaps you get less meat, like 1 steak per animal regardless of animal's usual yield, showing that its a desperation butcher, not a matter of due course.

Moronic I wouldnt got that far. I can see your points food being not needed for extended periods as for hydration full kit and dehydration levels would be dependent on terrain and weather conditions. Your not going to hump Kunar Province without the right amount of water because your burning more than you are earning. Sure you can push yourself to heat stroke but then you are useless in theater and become a burden on your team.

m203 agreed.

Axe agreed because if your down and out on luck if theres a will theres a way.

• Like 2

And that a player "day" session doesn't actually last 24 hours.

NO. What I am saying/suggesting is that you could improvise and gut an animal with an ax, but because you use an ax and NOT the right tool for the job, your yield is penalized by only getting a portion of the available meat.

now your comment makes sense, my apologies are in order.

On a side note, you can be a real jackass when people try to have a discussion with you. Try not to take things so personal(Feel free to take this post personally) and don't jump down someones throat when they question your "facts".

I asked you if you had experience with 30mm grenades and silenced weapons and you responded like I was arguing with you. You have to understand that when you simply throw out some things that might be common knowledge to you, other people might not understand and thus question your facts. I wasn't sure if you pulled those decibel numbers out off your ass, a wiki, or you were chuck norris and you handle those weapons on a daily basis, so I asked.

It obvious you've never hunted and skinned large animals before. (Neither have I) so perhaps having a discussion with the people telling you that you can't gut one with an axe would be better than calling them princesses.

Your ideas might be good, but you're delivery and attitude are driving them into the ground.

Edit: Here's another one for your list, why can't I collect wood without an axe? I'm sure you've collected wood in your life by hand, most outdoor types have. So it must be obvious the difference between chopping up wood with an axe and collecting whatever you can with your hands. They both produce wood, but the axe does a better job and makes the job quicker. It's the same with an axe cutting up dead animal. You'll get some meat, but it's not going to be the same quality and amount as using the proper tool.

How about making the axe take 10x as long, and you get 25% yield???

Ok first of all, i did not jump on your throat, i even mentioned that i did not know what to think of your post regarding the nade launcher, because of the way you phrased your sentence.

Second. About hunts, i renew my deer hunting permit every 2 years(been to 4 hunts) never actually attempted to skin and gut an animal that size with an axe, but out of necessity had to do it once for a rabbit, it was not pretty, but most of the skin came out as easily as with a knife, needed to make more work on the opening cuts before pulling the skin.

And about calling them princesses, it is nice to see you ALMOST, read the replies correctly, i was calling them princesses for getting picky about the tools they choose in a survival situation. Also they can either take or leave the suggestion, bad attitude or not on anyones end, i aint gonna loose sleep over it.

Third, good point about wood gathering.

I've done the old butcher thing, It's not really suited to axe tactics, but precision is irrelevant in a "do or die" situation.

I'd be more worried about collecting cuts of meat with the same tools you use to smash zombies' faces in.

How about adding "do you want this gun? Hold on a second while I clear a space and put it on the floor for you."

And the fact that there are millions of empty cans lying around, but when you eat beans, you eat the can too. Same with drinks.

Infinite matches?! They could at least give us a fire-steel if it's going to last ages, it's more believable.

The list goes on.

Best not get your knickers in a twist about it though.

Yeah you beat me to those :P I would also like to point out how we "dont need any vitamins" but i gues that is a stretch, but a couple of other silly things, like smashing yourself to death or breaking your skull by opening a door, or accidently putting a gun into your backbag and watch it go poof, or the fact that some zombies just randomly glance at you from 150 meters, when your in tall grass on your belly immobile, and they see a damn all you can eat lunch table. But my favourite has to be the magical airstrip hangars, and other buildings with curved roofs, sometimes they glitch out and blink on and off when your close to an edge or a corner, and if a zombie happens to look your way, oh boy things are getting fun.

In reference to the Axe in particular, as said SOMTHING would be obtainable to eat, so perhaps you get less meat, like 1 steak per animal regardless of animal's usual yield, showing that its a desperation butcher, not a matter of due course.

Yeah i was trying to drive this thought in. Did not make a splendid job at it :S

Why not implement a spit-roast. Then you can eat the flesh right off the bone.

Mmmm think about it, Beans(including the can) plus beef roast for a hobo feast :D