Sign in to follow this  
SinLodos

CD/Serial key is in use

So. This all started with me buying a steam account that had dayZ on it for my brother for Christmas. I took the account logged on set him up a profile on my computer etc. But when I tried to join a server he had all my gear. So in spite of this I logged onto both computers on the separate steam accounts and ran both games on the different computers and sure enough one of us would be "kicked from the server/kicked off the game" when I looked into it further all it said was cd key is currently in use. Any suggestions??

No hacks, both steam copies and two separate accounts.

Most likely the registry key for the accounts got set as the same one on both computers - thus telling the public hive that you are attempting to use the same CD key. Even if Steam states otherwise sometimes the registry key remains the same. I'll look real quick for the tutorial on how to fix this out - if I can find it. I'll do a edit.... standby. Not saying this is the problem, simply saying this is what I think it might be...

Edit:

Link found to tutorial - might solve your issue - if you have 2 completely different keys (meaning for one computer you bought ARMA II OA, and same thing on the other. Along with having to separate Steam Accounts.... which from what you said it sounds like this is the case...?).

http://dayzmod.com/f...ared-computers/

Edited by FinKone

maybe you and your brother have the same cd key :huh:

Most likely the registry key for the accounts got set as the same one on both computers - thus telling the public hive that you are attempting to use the same CD key. Even if Steam states otherwise sometimes the registry key remains the same. I'll look real quick for the tutorial on how to fix this out - if I can find it. I'll do a edit.... standby. Not saying this is the problem, simply saying this is what I think it might be...

Edit:

Link found to tutorial - might solve your issue - if you have 2 completely different keys (meaning for one computer you bought ARMA II OA, and same thing on the other. Along with having to separate Steam Accounts.... which from what you said it sounds like this is the case...?).

http://dayzmod.com/f...ared-computers/

I think im going to try this later tonight. Ill reply back within the hour and let you know how it went

Run steam as admin and launch OA, that should update the cd key in the registry to the one on that steam account.