Sign in to follow this  
Tomeusz

Whats so entertaining about this mod?

I'll shoot you for any reason I want thanks :)

The realism argument is entirely bunk. In all likelihood there would be a lot of violence.

Whole lotta violence.But not so selfish, or with killing being your motive.

Edited by thodouras95

What you describe is what makes DayZ so special compared to everything else out there: the fact you can lose hours and hours of work in a single shot from a thousand meters away, and then have to start over again. I never understood the appeal of clans and camps because that takes away all the thrill. Why do you care if you die when you know your friends are going to watch your body so you can recollect everything and be fully equipped again 10 minutes after spawning?

I've put 250 hours into DayZ, 95% of which I was alone. Only recently did I start playing in a group on one particular Namalsk server after making a few friends one night flying a heli for them, but even then there are maybe 2 or 3 of us playing together, and we never organize anything.

I was on a server today with Side Chat and player death broadcasting enabled. Two guys randomly teamed up. They did all their communicating over side chan. They took out 7 guys; some of whom were also working together. You don't have to be in some big, fully geared, clan to compete.... just gotta be able to sneak around and aim well.

Find a vehicle is a lot of fun; you should try that. I made it a personal objective of mine to find a vehicle, fix it, get some loot stocked in it, and hide it well. This has provided many hours of enjoyable gaming. I've lost several vehicles, found others, hid them well for a day or so, lost them again, found more, explored a lot of the map I'd never seen, found some of my first chopper crashes.... it's really been a whole new aspect of the game.

That's what sandbox gaming is all about. We have these tools at our disposal. We have the freedom to do as we please. I chose to go fix up cars, drive them around, give people rides, find better loot, etc. etc. I made my own objectives and ultimately made my own fun experience. I didn't need some quest system, standard mission objectives, or other hard-coded features to lead me around by the nose in order to have fun.

I hope the SA brings more things like this into the game world!

Whole lotta violence.But not so selfish, or with killing being your motive.

Erm, it would be the epitome of selfish, and I never kill just to kill.

Edited by Dankine

Teams can be quite over rated. you see a big group and you can be easily intimidated but working coherently in a group requires a lot of time playing with the same crew to be truly effective, and often times the groups can be so confused over comms that you have ample time to get some shots off or gtfo of the danger.

More often than not i do better solo, iI only have to worry about where i decide i want to explore or hunt, when I'm chasing my teammates and we all are trying to group up somebody gets killed and we rinse and repeat. That's even more annoying.

I'll shoot you for any reason I want thanks :)

The realism argument is entirely bunk. In all likelihood there would be a lot of violence.

The realism argument is not totally bunk. The fact that we have society now is proof that humanity is not a race of psychopaths since there were eras in early human development that were way more harsh than the DayZ world.

Anyway, it's a game, so expecting realism is kind of silly. However I do take issue with people who claim that random murder is realistic. It just isn't. People don't work that way. Except for teenage boys playing videogames.

The realism argument is not totally bunk. The fact that we have society now is proof that humanity is not a race of psychopaths since there were eras in early human development that were way more harsh than the DayZ world.

Anyway, it's a game, so expecting realism is kind of silly. However I do take issue with people who claim that random murder is realistic. It just isn't. People don't work that way. Except for teenage boys playing videogames.

eras in early development of humans (being homo sapiens) that were way more harsh than a zombie apocalypse? are you joking?

it isn't random murder though, it is keeping yourself and your group safe, while scavenging.

Edited by Dankine

@thodouras Why is it that you start to compare real life with a video game? Real life risk and video game risk WILL NEVER be the same. How can you bring up dictators when I'm talking about balls to risk pixels in vid game?

@Bongofish How many zombie apocalypses have you been through? Random murders not being realistic? How about that guy who was sniping people in cars for NO REASON? Zodiac killer any one? There are MANY instances of random murders happening. Ask any cop from Philily, NY or LA. Granted they do not happen often but realistic? NO DOUBT they are.

2 men working together efficiently can easily do the work of 3 separate men. #s only matter after a certain point. Think of the Spartans and the Hot Gates. ;)

I enjoed an RP and survivor aspect of this game. First session i played last after about 4 hours. I was collecting gear, clothes, wood, running at low profile, rolling on ground at villages looking around by pressing alt at every corner. Finally got spoted by heli at tree covered hill and killed by one of the parachuters hidened around( not just because of advantage of teamplay gamestyle of them, but also because of game mechanics like zombie spawns only near player(so they knew someone is there even if i was hidden) and bad drawing system- at first person near area seems highly covered, but from far distance only "cover" drawen are the trees- no grass and bushes at which you think you may take cover.)

Sec respawn same thing, but at major city, spoted by heli(even when i was hidden) and shootedfrom behind. Before death always was saying iam friendly at close chat and got no other respond than bullet. That thing ruins your motivation for game;/.

You should try out DrifterMod, you'll probably like it better. It seems to be balanced more for the survivor aspects of the ZA.

ive survived for 14 days alone once then a church in electro killed me.. The problem is that many players buy arma II OA just for dayz and they are not that good most of the time, many so called "CoD" players like this mod and they dont think very far ahead. for example a CoD player die almost 1-40 times each sesh a good arma player dies about 0-5 times each game..

and then we have all theese guys thinking that they are good at playing marksman and sniper / spotter..

You can always try to join privates with side chat and ask for teamates in the beggining add them on skype and after a month you have your very own squad ;)

@thodouras Why is it that you start to compare real life with a video game? Real life risk and video game risk WILL NEVER be the same. How can you bring up dictators when I'm talking about balls to risk pixels in vid game?

Well, realism does have an aim.It is to get as close to the real thing as possible.As for the dictators, my point was to point out that I believe calling a game/playing style something for people with balls is more of an exaggeration.It's game, not life.Success in a game means little/nothing in real life, and vice versa.If one wants to prove he has balls, he does something e.g. dangerous, he doesn't say "I kick yo ass 24/7 any game any weapon".

Well, realism does have an aim.It is to get as close to the real thing as possible.As for the dictators, my point was to point out that I believe calling a game/playing style something for people with balls is more of an exaggeration.It's game, not life.Success in a game means little/nothing in real life, and vice versa.If one wants to prove he has balls, he does something e.g. dangerous, he doesn't say "I kick yo ass 24/7 any game any weapon".

The real thing being a zombie apocalypse? Right...

Success in a game can mean huge amounts in real life. Very naive to say otherwise.

Actions will always speak louder than any words. I'm in the game everyday. = ))

We can't begin to talk real 'realism' when I can sprint forever and carry 4 Ural tires or 2 AS50's in my backpack.

@Dankine. Agreed!! It is the over-coming of an obstacle and/or the accomplishment of a goal that increases confidence. Confidence is VERY important in getting something done. Women love a confident man. Learning to not give up, whether IRL or on a video game will affect your decision making process for the better.

Edited by NoyZ

Also, it is now a career. You can (if you are the very best) make quite a lot of money.

It all depends on how you play. I've tried it most ways possible as a lone wolf and even started with a clan for a little while (which is great fun, by the way, a nice way to spend a good 6 hours on a mission but also has some downfalls like way too concerned about bases and gear) and on the main hive I'm a survivor of some long-stretch, forgot the days, but stuck to trees and taking down single targets and avoiding contact and living in the woods... he's stocked up with an AS50 and M4CC0 and all provisions but with that gear alone you feel like you're just walking into death to gear up someone that gets the jump on you.

There are plenty of private hives around for you to try out other strategies without any real penalty and should get you more accustomed to playstyle and DayZ's point. I gave it a break for a few months and just came back and I'm not concerned about gear anymore, if I die I try to avenge myself but in the end you can have a lot of fun before dying if you know it won't last.

There's a lot of fun to be had in Cherno and Elektro which are easy starting points to drop you in the deep end and you can gear up pretty quick. There's always campers and snipers if you know where to look and taking them out can gear you up fully. The other day in Elektro I found an AK and an M4 in about 30minutes and thought I'd try out the sniper hill only to get killed by an AS50. Thought it was just the one guy so I ran back and took a DMR out of his backpack while he was sitting in the tree only for him to turn around and shoot me while I was reloading the thing. I kept running back and found their Sedan which I could have easily taken and stole off to some place but I considered this fair game and upon going back I grabbed an Enfield out of the car and took what I though was just the one person. It turned out they were about 5 guys (I don't know how many exactly) and I had some great play sneaking and flanking and making moves from behind trees and took out 3 guys before getting shot in the back and when my legs were broke I got a shot back on that guy, too. I kept trying to go back but they looted the bodies and transferred to the car then hid the bodies (bastards) so there was nothing left but the couple of times I got to look at a body before being shot I saw all end-game gear while they wear camo clothing... and if there wasn't so many of them I would have came out on top which I nearly did - lots of players with end game gear doesn't mean they're skilled! It sucks that it means you're a one-shot-kill but if you can aim, flank and sneak half decent you can take them out with better play since most of them are just kids. It's fun as hell and even though I scared them all off I considered it a good victory and try.

Then again in cherno yesterday, died to zombies from a lucky super-punch to the leg, braking them, and chose to respawn. Went back to pick up the Winchester and headed to town. Spotted a survivor being so overly cautious so I flanked around him, threw off a smoke grenade for a distraction and 5 minutes later he was dead in the church and I had his loot. Positioning, awareness and trying to think like your opponent (see what he sees) can make the difference. He was so cautious he would crouch WALK around each corner aiming every which way, playing as a true survivor but in the end being that careful he still didn't spot me or even get a shot off before I took him out. On the way out from that I walked into a hotel as another player was walking out with a Remington, managed to kill him as he broke my legs and took me to half health (point blank fire fight) and his body sank before I could loot it (disconnected? pussy) so I bandaged up and repaired myself by finding another body with some cooked steak, got my blood back. These cities have snipers which often don't loot the gear so listen out for flies and get your gear, by doing this I got my health back and found another body with an M4 so now I can head off into the distance, calling it quits on the cities, job done.

I also helped out a guy being eaten alive in the hospital tents in cherno, while I was trying to get that clan on sniper hill in Elektro. I fixed his legs, bandaged his wounds and gave him a transfusion and asked him to help me take them out (I was unarmed). We got to Prigadoki (whatever) and found a guy heading our way, I grabbed a winchester from the barn and took him out and as I was looting the body the guy that I helped shot me down. Bad shot, too. It happens... to trust or not to trust, loss and gain.

There are plenty of ways to play alone and you can do some big damage if you know how to act according to your situation but the most important thing is you can have a shed load of fun before someone gets the drop on you, just see how many ways you can do it before that YOU ARE DEAD screen.

Edited by Anton17