Sign in to follow this  
mitor

Which app do you recomend to use to record videos?

Hello,

mostly what the title says. I am using Fraps, but depending on the server it makes my game unplayable, (I have selected to record to another Hard drive.)

Also, Fraps makes videos of ~3 gb which last about 2 minutes, which is not very usefull. So, if Fraps is the best option, I would like you to recommend me a way to reduce the size of the files Fraps creates.

Thank you.

You can lower FRAPS file sizes with programs like VirtualDub.

Taken from the Fraps website -

Using VirtualDub is quite easy. To create a compressed version of the AVI follow these steps:

Start VirtualDub

Select File->Open and choose the AVI in the Fraps directory you wish to compress.

Select Video->Compression and choose the codec you wish to compress with (usually divx)

Select File->Save As AVI and specify a filename for the new AVI.

4:3, 720p quality video (2:30 minutes long) converted to about 135mb when I last ran it. You'll probably have to play with the settings a bit at first, but once you figure it out, it works great.

Edited by Phil Highwind

I use MSI Afterburner, and as far as I can tell it barely influences my frame rate and also makes significantly smaller files than Fraps. I have also heard good things about Dxtory, but have not tried it myself.

I also use MSI Afterburner to control my GPU's fans since Catalyst Control Center doesn't allow fan control profiles, I highly recommend you try it out.

• Like 1

If you are using fraps and do not need to edit the video use easy h264.

No clunky ass video editor there. You select file, select preset, start and that is it.

Edit: Use MSI afterburner.

Edited by TreeSap

I use fraps but will be moving to dxtory when I get round to it. It is less system intensive as has been mentioned, but also, it splits your audio to different channels - which is great when you have people waffling away on comms.

You might wanna check this out, if you havent already:

http://www.avermedia...ail.aspx?Id=571

AVerMedia-Live-Gamer-HD.jpg

Basically this takes all the hard work away from your system and does all video processing on the box it's self. That means it doesnt effect FPS and you can recored 1080p videos with no performance issues. The record button is cool too! xD

But yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Dxtory as people have mentioned.

Also another option might be Gamebooster by Razer, this has (or will, its still in Beta) video recording functions as well a supposed PC performance improvements while gaming. Whether its any good or does what it says it does is another matter, Ive never tried it. But you can download the beta for free from Razer website, so maybe thats something to try.

Edited by Rooneye

You might wanna check this out, if you havent already:

http://www.avermedia...ail.aspx?Id=571

AVerMedia-Live-Gamer-HD.jpg

Basically this takes all the hard work away from your system and does all video processing on the box it's self. That means it doesnt effect FPS and you can recored 1080p videos with no performance issues. The record button is cool too! xD

But yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Dxtory as people have mentioned.

Also another option might be Gamebooster by Razer, this has (or will, its still in Beta) video recording functions as well a supposed PC performance improvements while gaming. Whether its any good or does what it says it does is another matter, Ive never tried it. But you can download the beta for free from Razer website, so maybe thats something to try.

I've used Gamebooster a couple of times and the video was laggy and the colors were messed up. I don't know if that's a problem with my PC or Gamebooster, but that's my experience with it.

I've used Gamebooster a couple of times and the video was laggy and the colors were messed up. I don't know if that's a problem with my PC or Gamebooster, but that's my experience with it.

Ahh shame, though it IS still in Beta ofc, maybe they will iron out any problems, but then again this is Razer. Terrible company IMO.

Can someone explain me what to use with the format .xtor Xtory creates? VLC can´t reproduce it, I have tried using avidemux, but doesn't seem to recognize the file.

Thank you.

Edited by Mitor

Can someone explain me what to use with the format .xtor Xtory creates? VLC can´t reproduce it, I have tried using avidemux, but doesn't seem to recognize the file.

Thank you.

Hmm I have no idea what can use that format, but I do know you can change the codec in the options. You can change the codec from Dxtory to a number of other codecs. Not sure if that will help or if you have already tried it, but if not it may be worth trying.

Hello again.

After trying Dxtory and MSI Afterburner I definitely prefer the second one. Easier to use, easy to configure and to select the quality of the video before recording, and with no mysterious codec.