Sign in to follow this  
Anarki (DayZ)

Hiding a chopper

I've got my hands on one of those new choppers, MI-8 or something, which to my knowledge, are invisible to maphackers (they don't show up on the map like Huey). Which is my early Christmas present.

However on my private server there are plenty of choppers (varies between 6 and 12) and people flying in those looking mostly off map for other hidden choppers.

I tried parking it north of Guba, twice, way off map, and it got stolen both times. Now third time is a charm and this time I'm looking for someplace better.

Now, I know I can always park it on a building with inaccessible roof in some god forsaken village. But considering there are so many choppers on my server, it will be found sooner or later. MI-8 is no tiny chopper, it actually takes more place than Huey, so I can't park it anywhere.

I've been thinking and decided that the best place to park it is on the smallest possible opening in the woods. Doesn't have to be off map, but close to the edge as possible, where people usually don't go.

Right now it's on a tiny opening east of Pavlovo. I feel like it's a nice spot but would like to find something even better!

The biggest problem I have is there are so many damn mountains in Chernarus which make the chopper slowly slide once you have landed it. Then it eventually ends up in trees so you can't get it up in the air. Which makes it even harder to hide its location. The spot has to be almost perfectly horizontal.

Parking it anywhere north of NW Airfield or NE Airfield (even off map) is like asking for it to be stolen. On my server, the admins have added extra barracks to both airfields so they are always crawling with choppers and players.

There are plenty of tiny islands around Skalisty Island, but that place already has a chopper spawn and people will poke around, not to mention that like those islands around Elektro, it's a high traffic area, meaning someone will probably see me either land or lift.

There is of course no 100% safe place, but there has to be a place where people will rarely look!

Anyone know of some godforsaken building with inaccessible roof somewhere deserted? I know there are some far north east, but that is also a high traffic area.

Edited by Anarki
  • Like 2

You can't hide a chopper. Due to the way Arma renders things it will stick out like a sore thumb - you're wasting your time unless you go and steal all the other choppers,

You thought about that burnt down ruined place? Kumryna? I think it's called that, it has a big ruined church and various other ruined buildings, no idea how high traffic it is but the zombies can be your guard dogs, I know you've mentioned there's a lot of helis on the server so it'd be difficult to hide it for good, I always think the most obvious place would be best but for something as big as your heli that's gonna be difficult, the thing is landing it in the middle of nowhere there's gonna be no zombies, atleast in a town the zombies will keep coming so it will make it that more difficult and if you can find a place where you have enough cover from buildings then I reckon it might work, then again it's DayZ and as soon as you start on that shore you're screwed from the beginning.

Its really a challenge to hide a helicopter on a map that has tons of helicopters. I think your methods of hiding it now are as good as any. Find somewhere you think is remote and hide it as close to trees as possible.

There's an island, 15km out, that's East of everything. You can see it in the In-game map, as a very small spot.

Nobody looks there. Or you could hide it on Skalitsny (spelling) Island, but away from the heli spawn. Nobody goes anywhere else on that island.

There's an island, 15km out, that's East of everything. You can see it in the In-game map, as a very small spot.

Nobody looks there. Or you could hide it on Skalitsny (spelling) Island, but away from the heli spawn. Nobody goes anywhere else on that island.

Afaik that's debug land? So in theory if the server restarts the chopper will possibly go back to its spawn location or something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong though I'm curious what would actually happen if someone tried it.

Don't bother it is a waste of time, even tents aren't safe, never mind a chopper!

Afaik that's debug land? So in theory if the server restarts the chopper will possibly go back to its spawn location or something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong though I'm curious what would actually happen if someone tried it.

On my private hive I play on, we found a chopper hidden there before. It's on the map, inside the grid that looks more in-focus than the other parts. Oh well, I hid a Mi-17 there tonight, so if it's despawned in the morning, I'll get my pal with a Little Bird to grab me. We'll see.

the problem with hiding a chopper when other choppers are on the map is those god damn white spots on the screen side

when in 500m radius or even 1km, choppers appear like a cow standing right next to you on your screen border

good places to hide choppers i know are in the middle of the map or on top of devils castles inaccessable roofs, no idea if the mi7 fits there