griffinz

ArmA 2: CO in "Top Seller" list

It's been that way for a couple of weeks now. I find it unbelievable how one well-designed mod with not much publicity (except for /vg/) could skyrocket sales of a $30 USD game.

Bohemia is enjoying themselves, I'm sure. Just another example of how mod-ability can really carry a game.

Let's hope Bohemia takes notice and decides to officially back this project, either in it's current state and/or for the upcoming Arma3 release ;)

It's no secret now. It has gone from #20 up to #9, with recently released games of a similar genre below it.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the BIS offices. Rocket said it best, if this mod gets featured on a major publication (IGN for instance), servers will melt and we'll be in trouble. I think he needs to start seriously considering this has happening within the next week or two.

This game is growing by like 500-1500 players a day.

Buy the rights Rocket, don't let me ruin your (and our) dream!

So that's what merging threads does...

...dont need 2 threads on steam sales.

LOL! I asked you about merging threads yesterday in the.... errr... nevermind.

if this mod gets featured on a major publication (IGN for instance)' date=' servers will melt and we'll be in trouble.[/quote']

Oh god I hope not! I don't want an influx of cowadooty kids in the game! I rather have DayZ as a niche mod/game than a mainstream sensation.

if this mod gets featured on a major publication (IGN for instance)' date=' servers will melt and we'll be in trouble.[/quote']

Oh god I hope not! I don't want an influx of cowadooty kids in the game! I rather have DayZ as a niche mod/game than a mainstream sensation.

Relax mate. For DayZ to be a mainstream sensation would actually be a good thing. DayZ is simple, adapt too it, or leave. That won't change. But if enough people would like it, the industry would notice. That would hopefully mean a shift in the focus on development, giving us more challanging games with more freedom.

The technicalities would be handled. It would benefit the gaming community greatly if this turned mainstream. I'd rather see most games be like DayZ, than most games be like CoD or battlefield 3

Relax mate. For DayZ to be a mainstream sensation would actually be a good thing. DayZ is simple' date=' adapt too it, or leave. That won't change. But if enough people would like it, the industry would notice. That would hopefully mean a shift in the focus on development, giving us more challanging games with more freedom.

The technicalities would be handled. It would benefit the gaming community greatly if this turned mainstream. I'd rather see most games be like DayZ, than most games be like CoD or battlefield 3

[/quote']

The attention span of the youths these days is pretty small and as such I hope only the worthy will stay in DayZ.

Regarding the rest, the industry will always focus on what makes more profit and the public wants products they can consume fast. Just take a look at the food industry. I do not deny however that there will be benefits on the popularization of the mod.

The attention span of the youths these days is pretty small and as such I hope only the worthy will stay in DayZ.

Regarding the rest' date=' the industry will always focus on what makes more profit and the public wants products they can consume fast. Just take a look at the food industry. I do not deny however that there will be benefits on the popularization of the mod.

[/quote']

Well, my point is exactly that. If we get a load of persistant players and by that the attention of the industry becouse of popularity it might spark some change. A popular game is profitable.

The main thing is, I don't think that DayZ will ever become that popular, sadly. But if it would, that would be a good thing.

To word it differently, if the public would want something like this, the industry would provide.

Well' date=' my point is exactly that. If we get a load of persistant players and by that the attention of the industry becouse of popularity it might spark some change. A popular game is profitable.

The main thing is, I don't think that DayZ will ever become that popular, sadly. But if it would, that would be a good thing.

To word it differently, if the public would want something like this, the industry would provide.

[/quote']

I would really like to see some change happen but only time will tell.

Regarding the popularity, it depends on what your definition of popular is. Lady Gaga is very popular on the mainstream music scene. Michael Schumacher is very popular on the auto sports scene. DayZ is becoming very popular on the zombie game scene (let's pretend we can label it just that). It's just a matter of perspective.

Arma 2:CO just moved to position 8

I see it as number 5 on my end. Below Skyrim, and above the Walking Dead

With these sales, I'm sure the developers will have no problem assisting

the DayZ team with early access to ARMA III for mod development.

aCqGs.png

EDIT -- Merged with appropriate thread.

the huge influx of players must be putting so much stress on the team to add new content and what not!

i wish you guys luck, so much interest so fast, DayZ has gone viral!

I wonder if it'll push past Skyrim? Maye even reach the #1 slot. This is the most successful mod I've played/seen. I wonder if BIS could give us some exact numbers as to how much sells for CO have jumped since the mod has released, or even just this month.

Yeah, just imagine what would happen if Steam decided to put A2:CO on sale and all those players that have been sitting on the fence decided to jump in. We need like 100 more servers now!

DayZ central database will burn.

I think a lot of people who are buying the game now don't know about DayZ...they just see it on top sellers, read about it, and buy it.

The snowball effect that DayZ started. Good news for BIS, and frankly I hope rocket is getting the recognition he deserves in the office.

I for one can say I purchased Arma2:CO solely for this mod!

Yup. Haven't even touched campaign or any other multiplayer server.