PracticalTactical

Canoe or Kayak?

When I look at the chernarus map I see allot of it covered by sea. Perhaps it would be a good idea to insert some sort of man powered lake, river and sea transport (other than swimming, of course) such as a kayak or a canoe? On land we have the bicycle but we have nothing on the water! In an apocalyptic situation with oil and gasoline in limited supply, many people would probably use man powered transportation like bicycles and canoes because of the lack of fuel and because of the complexity of car/boat engines (probably not a whole lot of mechanics around).

Also, if the chernarus plus map that is under development for standalone comes with added bodies of water like lakes, rivers and streams canoes and kayaks would come in very handy, especially because they can be taken and used in places where motor boats would have a very hard time going (such as thick cattails, small creeks and ponds). Maybe they can be portaged from one body of water to another?

So, what do you think about this?

• Like 9

Brilliant idea but would need more river systems to canoe and kayak in. :)

Defiitely should be taken into consideration. Girls shouldn´t be able to kayak alone tho. Just joking.

But yeah, a good idea if we get more river-like places.

Despite the shameless selfbump, I'm still going to submit this thread for thread title of the year.

Great idea! The map defenately needs rivers!!!!

And if added, how about making wooden rafts (hatchet for wood, and rope), and let the current drift us to the sea? Not everyone has a car in chernarus... It could also be used to move a whole camp to somewhere else, by loading your stuff on the raft.

• Like 2

Great idea! The map defenately needs rivers!!!!

And if added, how about making wooden rafts (hatchet for wood, and rope), and let the current drift us to the sea? Not everyone has a car in chernarus... It could also be used to move a whole camp to somewhere else, by loading your stuff on the raft.

Lets add the Army of Two back-to-back effect while riding the raft for some extra bandit action.

Have both, kayaks(modern style) would have a minimal storage for supplies, you could propably house waistbag in front or behind of your feet, and with canoo(traditional style) you got more room for shit, but you need 2 people to go anywhere fast.

Edited by DiazWaffleCrabstro

Despite the shameless selfbump, I'm still going to submit this thread for thread title of the year.

Yes, I am quite shameless. I think it is a really good idea though, so in my opinion it was worth it. Thanks for your input.

Have both, kayaks(modern style) would have a minimal storage for supplies, you could propably house waistbag in front or behind of your feet, and with canoo(traditional style) you got more room for shit, but you need 2 people to go anywhere fast.

Yes, much to what I was thinking. I have done allot of canoeing and kayaking in my life and they are great ways to get around and they would be extremely usefull in a SHTF situation or in DayZ's case a zombie apocapitz! You can solo a canoe easily and make good time but having two or even three people definately eases the load and quickens the pace. Allot can be caried by canoe, ive done month long treks with a group of 4 with tents, food, clothing and other supplies and canoes in particular can hold ALLOT of stuff. Heck, two barrels, 4 packs, fishing gear, tarp, tent, food and three people can fit in one canoe if need be. It would be cool to have this ingame.

search bar? been suggested and discussed many many times over the past few months

According to the search bar "Canoe or Kayak" only has two forum posts about it (this one included). And the last one was started on July 29, 2012 with the last post on the same day. Honestly, two forum posts are not "many times". I appreciate the input though, allot of things have been suggested many, many times on here.

Edited by PracticalTactical

search bar? been suggested and discussed many many times over the past few months

good solid suggestion, no harm done.

Edited by DiazWaffleCrabstro

There has to be more in the sea for this! Islands people maybe streams and rivers inland?

Yes, I recall Rocket saying something about more waterways in Chernarus + (I could be mistaken though). I sure hope they add rivers, streams and lakes in the standalone it would make the landscape so much more interesting.

Waterways should lead to key areas. For example, in a city which is halved in two by a waterway; taking a canoe into the heart of the city could save you some trouble from zombies. Or if I want to discretely approach a fortress in the cover of nightfall, I could use a canoe and be stealthy.

Could also be quite useful for travelling along the coast, or far north.

With any luck you'll be able to drag canoes around, or carry it with a friend. I'd love to see you being able to load one onto a car, too.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 1