Sign in to follow this  
person915

Dangers of Port Forwarding for TeamSpeak?

I want to set up a TeamSpeak server. The server is fully-functional, except no one can join but me. I believe this is because the server isn't ported on my router. BUT... porting is a dangerous and delicate thing, as it can let hackers into your system fairly easily. Now I'm fine with the default 3 channels and like 32 people on your TS; it doesn't need to be any bigger than that for what I want to use it for. But I can't rent a server. That is not an option.

So what is port forwarding, what are the dangers, what are the benefits, what am I doing when I port forward, and what are your sources?

(I can figure out HOW to port forward, just need to know what I'm getting into, what to do and what not to do, and how to make it as secure as possible)

ok, its like your routers firewall u can port forward as your internet security is your second line of defense. hope this simplifies it for ya. :)

not so long ago it was modems wich wernt firewalled at all.

Port forwarding isn't the same as a firewall.

The firewall is what blocks certain ports so hackers can't easily gain access. btw you have port 80 open for http, a hacker can still gain access with that if they really wanted to. but that besides the point

port forwarding isn't necessarily opening a port but more like telling the router, that if any packets come in with that port to send it to this internal address. It's basically a guide, so the router knows where to send the information correctly

It wouldn't make your network any less secure than it already is. Some people say if you have issues to add your computer to the routers DMZ, that is what makes it extremely easy for hackers. i would never suggest putting any computers on the dmz, unless your running a web server on it

Qualifications: CompTIA A+, Network+ .....and getting my Security+ next week

Edited by P_Griffin08

Port forwarding isn't the same as a firewall.

The firewall is what blocks certain ports so hackers can't easily gain access. btw you have port 80 open for http, a hacker can still gain access with that if they really wanted to. but that besides the point

port forwarding isn't necessarily opening a port but more like telling the router, that if any packets come in with that port to send it to this internal address. It's basically a guide, so the router knows where to send the information correctly

It wouldn't make your network any less secure than it already is. Some people say if you have issues to add your computer to the routers DMZ, that is what makes it extremely easy for hackers. i would never suggest putting any computers on the dmz, unless your running a web server on it

Qualifications: CompTIA A+, Network+ .....and getting my Security+ next week

Ok, so for instance, I use Skype. That requires ports to open correct?

Now my dad is the one I'm going to have to convince, and after explaining what I knew then as, "port forwarding is opening your router's ports to other computers so they can connect on a network" and port triggering as "YOU starting the connection to connect to a computer's ports" which I don't think is necessarily wrong, he said "well that doesn't sound safe, does it?".

Also, you said your internet opens ports, right? So my dad uses both internet and Skype. He might argue that he only goes on safe sites and only talks to people he knows. If a hacker really wanted to, they could just port in and mess you up, couldn't they? What is the probability of a random attack versus a directed attack on the port in these circumstances?

And what about TeamSpeak? These guys run a secure, quality software, and I don't think the possibility of some guys coming on my TS, protected with a password will go through all that trouble to mess up my computer, in which I could report it anyway. So what is the possibility of being in danger opening A single port, and it won't be the default port, and having about 5 people (including me) on the TS? What are those dangers?

What is the probability of an internet-based attack compared to a Skype or TeamSpeak one?

Finally, how can I port forward in the safest possible way, and what are the dangers and probabilities that I am still exposed to by doing this?

By the way, how would I fit it in to host a TS server and port trigger? Possible?

One last thing, for your classes and credentials, where did you study at for them?

Sorry if this is a bit much or excessive, but my dad is a hard man to convince, and he will need some concrete evidence. And then it still needs to be safe.

Edited by Neko-san

Ok, so for instance, I use Skype. That requires ports to open correct?

Now my dad is the one I'm going to have to convince, and after explaining what I knew then as, "port forwarding is opening your router's ports to other computers so they can connect on a network" and port triggering as "YOU starting the connection to connect to a computer's ports" which I don't think is necessarily wrong, he said "well that doesn't sound safe, does it?".

Also, you said your internet opens ports, right? So my dad uses both internet and Skype. He might argue that he only goes on safe sites and only talks to people he knows. If a hacker really wanted to, they could just port in and mess you up, couldn't they? What is the probability of a random attack versus a directed attack on the port in these circumstances?

And what about TeamSpeak? These guys run a secure, quality software, and I don't think the possibility of some guys coming on my TS, protected with a password will go through all that trouble to mess up my computer, in which I could report it anyway. So what is the possibility of being in danger opening A single port, and it won't be the default port, and having about 5 people (including me) on the TS? What are those dangers?

What is the probability of an internet-based attack compared to a Skype or TeamSpeak one?

Finally, how can I port forward in the safest possible way, and what are the dangers and probabilities that I am still exposed to by doing this?

By the way, how would I fit it in to host a TS server and port trigger? Possible?

One last thing, for your classes and credentials, where did you study at for them?

Sorry if this is a bit much or excessive, but my dad is a hard man to convince, and he will need some concrete evidence. And then it still needs to be safe.

Port forwarding as i said does not open ports, it only helps tell the router where to route the packets with that port coming in.

Router says "oh hey your packet has Port 2302 in the header, and my port forward tables says you go to computer 192.168.1.2"

Most routers use UPNP, which basically is what opens your ports. You open skype, your router see's skype and recoginizes it needs ports x, so it opens it and allows the connections. So almost any program you run will automatically use/open the ports it needs to.

With the router's firewall you can also open/deny port access. But like i said that is completely different than port forwarding.

A lot of places say "open ports" and then says port forwarding, but it is not the same. It just helps direct the traffic basically.

When your dad opens skype, it automatically opens a port and a connection, so an attack if they wanted too could do a port scan on your address and see that the port is open and can do the nessicary attacks to get it.

Now chances of someone attacking your network just for the hell of it is very low. Usually attackers have specific targets because that victim has stuff they want. whether it be finacial information or programs and anything they deem worthy.

Now someone could do a DDoS or DoS on your system, but that doesnt need any ports as it only requires ur ip and they can take down your network/internet access. Usually that stems from someone pissing off a 12 yr old who then goes and downloads someone's premade booter...And yes its illegal and they CAN go to jail and its easily traced and most 12 yr olds dont realize that

Port fowarding is already the safest it can be. Just only forward the ports the program lists. But like i said all it does is direct the traffic to tht specific computer on your network.

Hosting a teamspeak server isnt really anymore dangerous than your dad running skype or any other program that will automatically open a port.

An attack can happen to anyone at anytime. Chances are low unless you have something that an attacker wants.

Port triggering is mainly used when the computer on the network(in example the one running the t.s. server) has an dynamic internal address. But most home networks usually keep the computers with the same internal IP aka 192.168.1.3

I go to a trade school that focuses on learning the material for these subjects or an army provided class(as i am in the army) and learn. Then i go to an an Authorized PersonVue testing facility and take the exam. And if i pass i become certified and it is recoginized globally

You can findout more information here, this link directly goes to the Network+ but u can look at others

http://certification...ns/network.aspx

Edited by P_Griffin08

Basically what P_griffin08 said. Port Forwarding basically maps a shortcut for certain types of data to your computer. So if I say, port forward teamspeak, the router will automatically send the data to my computer because of my port forwarding, rather than the router having figure which device over the network was requesting the data. You're just as safe as before.