Druskov

Coop Server

I know many will not enjoy a pure coop server, but I am pretty sure some defiantly will. We all know the feeling when all of sudden in whatever server we are in a large group enters all bearing a clan tag of some sort. They end up doing nothing but camping in a large city or town sniping and/or straight up shooting players that spawn in that city.. Not because you have valuables but because they just want to pvp. I dont think they should be banned or remove pvp but what Im suggesting is that there be a server that is pure coop, meaning no teamkilling and if someone does something like griefing they get kicked off that specific server.

My reasons for wanting a coop server is for working together with other players who want to, and trying to do something fun and productive together while trying to live in a zombie infested world.

Some may think this is boring and would prefer the pvp side, but what Im saying doesnt affect you, nor would I want it too. It is just for those players who would rather play a more peaceful zombie shooter than quick fast paced ffa w/ zombies in the fray.

I would enjoy nice answers and constructive criticism, not just gut feelings and opinions on how it wont work because you yourself are a pvper.

• Like 1

What I think needs to happen is some sort of "Factions" effect, and some sort of "reward" for trading. Maybe each character can have a specific skill or something through trading.

Example:

"Faction - Fox Squad is created. "

"Fox Squad average player group is Neutral, considered traders."

"Fox Squad trades with United Ops"

"Fox Squad and United Ops groups gain small benefits for trading, such as increased skills pertaining to certain things, Eg. Higher Survival rate through Slower blood loss"

Make it build up over time so you have to trade, but don't make it based on the amount of trades or the type of trades. Make it pertain to how often they trade over the course of a week vs how often then kill someone. Each time they kill someone it makes it so they get less "rewarded" when they DO do something good.

Killing someone would get it's own rewards however:

Example:

"Killing enough people allows one to become cannibal."

"Cannibal's die easier when shot at, but can give more damage."

"Become insane, possibly force survivors that arn't moving to look like zombies? (idk if possible in engine.)"

Idk, there just needs to be a pro-con system of each way of doing it, although I would recommend placing more negative features of killing people for no reason.

I think the actual creation of faction groups and persistent camps would be AMAZING. Possibly using the system of creating walls and stuff similar to Project Reality? >->

I agree with you although I wouldn't want to play on that server because I enjoy the PVP aspect that really adds atmosphere to the whole experience in my opinion. Some may just want to kill zombies and work with others without fearing the guy next to them might kill them just for a can of food, and I think that should be an option on at least one server. It may be just as easy as turning off friendly fire if it's a server option, but I'm not familiar with the engine.

I'm with you on the fallout3-esque perk system lithiumfox. That would be a very cool feature if it could be implemented.

• Like 1

I like the idea of factions but it sounds longterm and I wouldnt mind more negative effects for killing players than just changing skin to put off senseless killing. However alot of people wouldnt like that and that group of people would be the clans and groups of players who come in and do that stuff.

Here is an example of a pkiller to survivor just killing to get items

2 days ago was playing on ny3, found myself a ak74 with some ammo, had an allice pack full of supplies and the group I was with also had ak's and hunting rifles.

I get sniped...

My group runs away from the scene that man just got alot of gear.

Did he snipe anyone else. No. Why cause he took a chance at getting better gear and it worked in his favor. He didnt have to hunt the others because they chose to leave fast enough where he didnt feel like they were a threat.

Now I was sad I lost some gear but I dont resent or hate what happened I expected some stuff like that to happen.

Now for example 2

Playing on same server spawn in town brand new. Get sniped instantly.

Surely he noticed I just spawned had no gear. I mean he defiantly could see that with his scope. I just died earlier before he sniped me. He must have known. Did it stop him from just shooting me just cause he could. No. I spawn again just on off chance he didnt notice and he was far away. I didnt put much more thought in it and just let it drop. I spawn relatively close again to the town I died in so I think hmm Ill go check out.. Bam my head explodes again from the same exact player... Now I know he seen me because where I spawned I was actually closer. Soon I see his whole clan join. It turns into nothing but a tdm in that town and ffa match within a game I thought was about zombie survival. Not freakin cod match.

The fact that I just spawn and have to find cover and not feel like my character is new and ready for adventures. Having to duck behind cover from pistol rounds and hunting rifle shots, when I just spawned, made the game less immersive and kinda crappy. I even seen some pkillers respawn just to get more pistol ammo to kill players.

I would also like to see a Non-PVP server. So long as we have the option to choose whether we want to play in a PVP server or not, I'm all game for this idea.

• Like 1

This would be a nice addition; if there were enough servers one server could be titled 'Beginners server' 'Passive server' or, 'CO-OP' server, although then you could have players joining the co-op server to get good loot then hopping on to PvP and DM'ing everyone with it, where really if you want to find good loot to kill with, you should really take the risk of having it stolen from you finding it.

I love coop servers, can be so relaxing and fun to grab phat gear and vehicles and clear towns or whatever the objective might be.

I don’t have anything against the request BUT, a coop DayZ server would unfortunately ruin the whole concept of the MOD!

My prayers goes towards a workable solution to keep us all interested in the full package.

I think a couple SHOULD be added. Why? So people stop whining about it in side channel. I don't think too many should be added though because if it went half and half then everyone who wanted pvp would go there so it'd just be a deatchmatch, and people who'd want co-op would go to the co-op servers.

Any kind of in-between like we have now would be ruined.

This would be a nice addition; if there were enough servers one server could be titled 'Beginners server' 'Passive server' or' date=' 'CO-OP' server, although then you could have players joining the co-op server to get good loot then hopping on to PvP and DM'ing everyone with it, where really if you want to find good loot to kill with, you should really take the risk of having it stolen from you finding it.

[/quote']

Have these "beginner servers" have weaker loot points, and have less percentages of spawning good gear.

That way, if they really want to get some good items, they have to join the PVP Servers.

I don’t have anything against the request BUT' date=' a coop DayZ server would unfortunately ruin the whole concept of the MOD!

[/quote']

Apparently they're fine with allowing servers to run 3rd person, crosshairs, etc which also ruins the whole concept, but meh, it's an experiment so let's experiment shall we?

I'm placing my bets on :

- unrestricted PVP servers die within a month or two, down to a skeleton crew of griefers or PVPers who don't better PVP mods like PR exist.

- co-op only servers will split the playerbase in roughly half

- whereas fixing the mod to both allow PVP but reign it in will keep 95% of the playerbase.

I'm down for a co-op server but I'd never play on it. I have a problem with people going to a no-pvp server, getting gear, then switching over. I better solution to limiting spawn killing is just increasing the number of spawn points across the entire coast. If you spread out the population and make it less dense then it's more likely you won't have the 24/7 killfest chern and elek are. People who complain about PvP all the damn time make me question their intelligence. It's not hard to spawn and move inland, just gear up somewhere else and avoid PvP hotspots. Use cover, travel in packs, avoid open areas... these are common sense things. Eventually you will die sure, everyone does though. But there are plenty of ways of minimizing your risk of doing so to PvP.

As for the co-op server... I give it the green light so long as either characters are not transferable or the 'good' loot is severally limited and they greatly increase the number and/or strength of zombies.

Won't happen.

People playing on the Co-op servers will have a distinct advantage to better equipment than normal servers

Im not saying the coop server has to be even tied to keep the gear between servers... I just want to relax without the need of griefers/pvpers that end up joining most the servers that are currently pvp/pve. So personally if there was a server where I could login see how far I could get and if I need to log I wont care if I lose progress because personally I dont mind. Its just when I get killed when I spawn by a player that makes it not worth playing.

I agree, something like this would defiantly give an advantage to some and not others.

Unless of course they lock that character to PVE only.

What your asking for sounds like an expansion pack for the sims.

I wouldnt really call it fixing the mod but I understand your meaning. The devs need to implement features, be they basic or extremely creative, that bring about the optimum balance. People will leave. But it sounds like the devs have a lot planned and its just going to require alot of work, whining (feedback), and testing.

Won't change shit. Your non-PvP server will have a bunch of people running around, gathering as many zombies as possible and training it onto other players as a way to PvP (and generally be dicks, but hilarious dicks nonetheless).

Eh that is why I am kinda watching forums and seeing what they fix than actually playing. (mix of the servers crashing all the time past few days and the killing) The Instant I see scripts and mission folder for this mod though I will be happy, I will defiantly play this mod singleplayer and enjoy it that way :P (maybe little hosting for friends and myself when killing zombies gets boring by myself)

Won't change shit. Your non-PvP server will have a bunch of people running around' date=' gathering as many zombies as possible and training it onto other players as a way to PvP (and generally be dicks, but hilarious dicks nonetheless).

[/quote']

At that point they would be known as a griefer and all one would have to do is report them to server owner.

Your criticism if it could even be called that wasn't much of pointing out flaws that would halt that creation of a coop server but just a slight annoyance in one if it was created.

I don’t have anything against the request BUT' date=' a coop DayZ server would unfortunately ruin the whole concept of the MOD!

[/quote']

Apparently they're fine with allowing servers to run 3rd person, crosshairs, etc which also ruins the whole concept, but meh, it's an experiment so let's experiment shall we?

They allow those servers to run 3rd and with crosshairs due to the glitchy flares while holding them, at its current state it blinds you. In real life my common sense would be hold the flare to the side not in my face... but yeah its an alpha so bugs are bugs eventually they will fix em.

The flares disturbing your vision isn't a glitch, its deliberate. Most of what I added is supposed to be a balance of risk and reward, benefit and sacrifice.

Please remember that up until last week I was the only person who actually coded/designed/developed on the actual mod itself. Only now have other people come forward to work on the project - so we simply do not have the resources to completely manage what each of the servers do. Rolling out updates is enough of a headache without policing everything they do.

To address the OP statement, purely coop servers are not in the scope of this project. The reason for this is twofold:

1. It's not something that interests me

2. There is a limited amount of resources, so this is dedicated to one concept

So wait... You intended for flares to make your vision pitch black? I mean I have used road flares before, heck I live in colorado kinda common sometimes hit deer from time to time at night never have I been blinded by my own flare..

My intention is not to run a simulation a Zombie Apocalypse, nor is it to train people to survive such an event. But my intention is to force players to make decisions and that the consequences of those decisions would spark off events that would create rich stories, generating real human emotions. Therefore many very small aspects or frustrations are deliberate decisions by me to force you to make compromises. Some of those are arguably realistic or not realistic - but what really mattered to me was the effect on behavior they make.

But my intention is to force players to make decisions and that the consequences of those decisions would spark off events that would create rich stories, generating real human emotions.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I felt this one night not from the pvp that is so common but from a night of coop turned bad.

This is what I want but since there is no restrictions to how pvp is done or how the game itself is played, I no longer feel that feeling. It also has made my friends as well dislike that game the fact of running around wondering if you should just no longer coop and just shoot whatever survivor you see to avoid any conflict all together.

I know that this issue can hardly be fixed but I just wish it could.

This isn't really a game. Maybe a real game, from a studio, will come from the concept. For me, this is art. My intention was to generate real human emotions: high on the list was frustration, being pissed off, and a general distaste for some elements of society and what happens when the shit really goes down.

If you're fed up, frustrated, maybe even angry then I've done my job. I don't want money, fame, power from it. I've achieved precisely the effect I wanted even if you never play the game again, and hopefully made people think about a few things along the way.

• Like 8

This isn't really a game. Maybe a real game' date=' from a studio, will come from the concept. For me, this is art. My intention was to generate real human emotions: high on the list was frustration, being pissed off, and a general distaste for some elements of society and what happens when the shit really goes down.

If you're fed up, frustrated, maybe even angry then I've done my job. I don't want money, fame, power from it. I've achieved precisely the effect I wanted even if you never play the game again, and hopefully made people think about a few things along the way.

[/quote']

I bet Hamburger Helper tells herself the same thing.

• Like 1

Are you stating you made a mod to troll people with it? :D if so that is dedication!

I'm not sure what a "Hamburger helper" is, and the definition of art has existed much longer than the definition of "troll".

• Like 1