finkone

DayZ STANDALONE base respawn idea (KEEP THE DISORIENTATION)

Reasoning behind why this would be a good addition to the standalone (skip if you're not a long term reader, jump in at overview.)

Ok well - I was crawling over the web looking for more and more information about this secretive DayZ Standalone I keep hearing of - anyways... was watching some Dean Rocket videos with questions and answers.. a hour long thing - I know, I have no life. Anyways... on to the topic.

Mr. Rocket said he wasn't sure he wanted to add a group spawn, because this takes away from the disorientation of the game - man I couldn't agree more. He also mentioned that possibility of having underground bases, and that which could be a spawn point of players, NOW THIS, I agree with. I would be highly annoyed if I was in a shoot out with several players and they simply had some buddies "spawn in" on them. If their base is over 4 clicks, not a big problem.

I know he said he also didn't want any NPC's or NPC interaction within DayZ, BUT I ain't talking about adding them for the purpose of interaction - its only to established a means to respawn at your base. Now that I've explained the basis of this suggestion - I'll stop wasting your time and explain the suggestion.

OVER VIEW

Once you've established and base (under or above), and joined a faction (since he said there would be factions within DayZ that are in game supported form what I've seen from the videos) you will have a area (that you constructed) at which you can store/place survivors you've encountered. The term survivors within this post means a NPC at which you've come across in the game, that you can take to your camp, so when you see it later in posts you'll know. The spawns for finding survivors could be put into the same par as finding a ghillie suit or something of that nature in terms of "rare" or rare like findings - they can be found in residential areas, they will be just stationary and crying/quivering, as to alert you to them slightly. Once found you will be able to interact with them - here is the interesting part, they will be able to use the majority of the scripts from the dogs (if we ever see them) for the survivors. Survivor trust must be gained, AND they will flee from bandits / not trust these guys regardless of the conditions (giving incentives not to be a brat in game.). Once you've gained a survivors trust you will be able to ask them to follow you - you'll want to get them back to your camp. Once they are at the camp you'll be able to give them a command to rest (these survivors will be non-combatants.)

LETS RUN THROUGH IT

So now lets run through it. We found a survivor - gained his/her trust, got them to follow us back to our base... great... why? Well - when a member of your faction gets a 107 .50 CAL round to the face, and takes 37,000 damage... he will have the option to spawn at the base, or on the shore line. He WILL NOT have the option to spawn at the base if no survivors have been found and stored at camp. Sleeping bags must be found also along with the survivors. You won't be able to spawn at your base if there is a active fight for a period of time (just like the combat logger, just a expanded area it will cover)

What else is needed? Sleeping bags! AND Spawn restrictions!!!

Sleeping bags!

The construction item that should be needed could be something as simple as finding a "sleeping bag" - once you found a sleeping bag placing it at your base, and linking it to your faction will let you use it as a spawn. Survivors within a bag show it as full, empty open ones are not.

Spawn restrictions!!!

While the base is being raided, meaning any shots that are fired within or around the base - the players of that faction will be unable to spawn at that location for a period of 30 minutes.

This suggestion will do several things for the dynamics of the game.

1) Keep players disorientated as Rocket wants - you'll spawn with the same regular load out - not your old gear, and your buddies might be 10 clicks away from you, but you'll still be "at home".

2) Give players incentives to be good.

3) Give bandits the opportunity to follow players that are good back to their base if they are not careful with the survivors.

4) Give bandits the opportunity to set up ambushes on survivors (adding a danger dynamic).

5) Give players a reason to team up and work together - or the END GAME to establish and safer and better strong hold. It should be hard or a item/tent/underground construction requirement should be met before the spawns are allowed.

pseudo code example (I am by NO MEANS a programmer so enjoy and laugh it up)

If faction created (joined group)

Player in faction

if spawn option open

spawn option at base survivor check

spawn if survivor check not = null

spawn [worldspace of faction spawn construction]

spawned survivor removed - 1

if no faction created (no joined group)

if survivor option = null (no survivors)

shore line spawn

survivors could come preloaded with the dog scripts - trust must be gained, follow, wait, and go away (survivor will return to start point or disappear depending on range).

I'm sure I'll keep adding more to the post - I'm drunk and decided to wing it...

Constructive criticizers are welcome.

I hope this thread is liked enough to stay at the top and perhaps get Rockets attention... I'll go over searching for typos in the morning and remove drunk rambles...

Edited by Reaper 3
  • Like 2

Yea I think it stays in the terms of rather logical - if players want base spawns they've got to work for them. Any suggestions feel free to chip in if I think they are good ones I'll add them to the OP.

seems prety logical, but what if the faction has tons of gear stored in base?? Just my concern

• Like 1

I know this is a game, but think about it logically: You build a base, you live there. One day you go out looting and you get killed. Now where do all the new survivors spawn? At the beach. You basically start a new life every time you respawn, you don't just rise from the dead and spawn to your base.

Don't flame me for saying this, it was only my opinion.

• Like 2

I don't want to see any NPCs apart from zeds.

Being the only living people in the world makes the reactions between players more important than populating the world with bots.

I think everyone should just stay as beach-landers. For the sake of situational balance, if nothing else.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

I know this is a game, but think about it logically: You build a base, you live there. One day you go out looting and you get killed. Now where do all the new survivors spawn? At the beach. You basically start a new life every time you respawn, you don't just rise from the dead and spawn to your base.

Don't flame me for saying this, it was only my opinion.

There will be no flaming here sir. You don't really rise from the dead and just spawn at your base - you will be a fresh spawn, just as if you spawn'd on the beach - the only difference is the location at which you spawn and the survivor deduction within your base from your faction. Keep in mind that camps might be a whole lot harder to find if they are indeed underground also.

I don't want to see any NPCs apart from zeds.

Being the only living people in the world makes the reactions between players more important than populating the world with bots.

I think everyone should just stay as beach-landers. For the sake of situational balance, if nothing else.

I'm not saying go on a bot spree, be able to give them guns, and have personal body guards or quests. My suggestion as to these are very limited, rare bots will simply add a whole nother' loot hunt to the game. I couldn't agree with you more (in regards to player interaction being the soul of this game). You will be able to tell the "bots" (survivors) right away since they won't be activity roaming around - instead they will be a random rare loot spawn, simply cowering away in their house, so to speak that you can interact with the only true goal of adding a additional spawn location in your base.

To be honest - having everyone as a beach-lander is not very great for the situational balance in my opinion. My boys will come pick me up if I die in that Huey, or truck - and we gonna gun down anyone that even looks our direction (If they don't look, they don't threat - so we leave them alone...) - regardless of location or play (bambi, bandit, hero - don't look now :D ) as to where these random chance interactions of end-game players wouldn't have even typically ended up on the beach in the first place if there was a spawn system - I know some guys head back to the beach for parts and so forth late game, and some would for the bots also, but having the ability to use a rare survivor find (they should make it so a group of 30 working together, even with restartin' their server ever 10 minutes they STILL have trouble finding a sleeping bag and or survivor).

I can understand where you are coming from - I really can. Most of the PM's I've gotten in regards to not wanting bots seem to be the one man, two man teams... The only real difference in this scenario, is that end-game large groups without this option will just drive/fly to pick up their fallen comrade, which honestly maybe they ain't even operating out of a close location so they might have to still take a trip back to base to pick him up... if he spawns there.

There will be a game like this coming out early 2013 called State of Decay, it sounds like it may be more your cup of tea. There is already some gameplay footage and screenshots out, so if you'd like npc interaction then check it out, I know I'll be playing this and DayZ. DayZ will probably still be my fave though ;)

There will be a game like this coming out early 2013 called State of Decay, it sounds like it may be more your cup of tea. There is already some gameplay footage and screenshots out, so if you'd like npc interaction then check it out, I know I'll be playing this and DayZ. DayZ will probably still be my fave though ;)

You guys are talking as if I'm suggesting the first set of NPCs to ever be placed into DayZ - there is going to be dogs. I'm not interested in NPC interaction honestly - this post is about a spawn system and how it should work if you have a well established group and base. More of a end-game suggestion. I think I'll have to reformat my post to get the point better along - I'll do that over the next few days...

BTW that game - some parts seem interesting - surprising what the arcade is capable of putting out now-a-days.

Edited by Reaper 3

I disagree with adding any NPC other than dogs or zombies. Also, it would be incredibly annoying to have someone spawn in their base and grab some more weapons then get back into the fight.

• Like 1

On a second look there would need to be an exception to your rule and that is if people are assaulting the base. Maybe if the base is seen as underattack spawing there would be impossable.

On a second look there would need to be an exception to your rule and that is if people are assaulting the base. Maybe if the base is seen as underattack spawing there would be impossable.

Yea that shouldn't be hard for them to do the mechanics of that one since the combat logger is also in place. I didn't think about people using the spawns to get back into action if a raid is active. Its not like they will have 20 survivors - I'm talking these things should be worse to find the mountain dews... but I agree with that entirely. The logger for shots fired in a base should be something along the lines of 30 minutes or so I think also.