Sign in to follow this  
Shag

Perma Death - extension

How about when you die, rather than some cooldown period where you can't play the game, you die and can't play on the server you died on for a set amount of time? The set amount of time could be linked into how long your tent/vehicles persist until they are found or just despawn.

Advantages:

- You kill a guy on a server, they can't spring back to location and try and kill you (breaks the immersion - you killed this guy already, how does he know you're position).

- Provides the perma death mechanic which currently disappeared due to ease of resupply, and a real deterent to being too risky.

- Doesn't mean you can't play Dayz for x amount of time, just log into another server, there are many.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea but I can see the vast majority not agreeing. Would be kind of annoying if you were playing with friends on your 'home' server and then you die and can't respawn there. But then again... You're supposed to be dead!

• Like 3

I agree with the sentiment. This kind of "death" will prevent folk from looting their own corpses, or instantly gearing up at tents* on respawn. (*and they wonder why they're bored?)

Even just an hour or so would be enough to traumatise most players. Any more than that risks anyone with seriously shit luck, NEVER getting a decent game with buddies. :P

I really like this idea. I appreciate any changes that would increase the actual repercussions for dying, especially for those who play in groups.

I love this idea but the only problem is those assholes who sit on hills waiting for bambis to spawn then they would not get to play ever

Nice idea but also cant see many agreeing. I often wonder whether your character should be locked to one server. Less server hopping.

hmm everyone seems agreed so far.

i think it is simple, easy to understand, intuitive (I'm dead in this world until everything I own despawns) and provides incentives to live.

groups either take the loss of one of their group, or move off that server to another.

Hello there

In *theory* a great idea.

But, what happens when one dies by rock or door for example. Or simply dies from moving down a staircase too fast? If those issues could be sorted then I'm all for the idea.

Once you die, perhaps one can go spectator view (set still cams to stop exploits) /channel, rather than booted from the game.

It worked for us in the old OFP ( and early A/A2) days, where you had ONE life and if killed would have to sit the round out, perhaps for some hours.

Rgds

LoK

Nice idea... but if you guys go on like this, sooner or later you will be asking that if someones character dies he should also die in real life. It adds to the immersion!

Well... I believe nothing should be done. If the guy you just killed comes back for more, bad for him, send him back to the beach. Knowing your position is the same mechanism as a dead guy can still talk to his alive friends through TS and reveal you position.

Apart from that there might be guys like me that can't find too many servers that play well (good fps, ping), so one could loose interest in the game, if he had to wait for long time to play. Especially if your gaming time is limited!

I suggested that players sould be locked from a server for a couple of hours if they bring about the end of humanity, and people still didn't like it - lol.

Maybe base the "time out" on how long your character has been alive in game?? That way new spawns will only have to wait a couple minutes while narled woodland warriors will have to wait an hour or so??