thoxon

is dayz becoming over saturated in the media?

I dont know how many users in DayZ are online' date=' but even if its around 1000 Users.. that 1/70 of BF3, thats huge !!

[/quote']

Our peak time number is ~12400, which was reached two hours ago.

Currently there are 12154 players connected to a DayZ server.

In reply to the topic... No. :P

I dont know how many users in DayZ are online' date=' but even if its around 1000 Users.. that 1/70 of BF3, thats huge !!

[/quote']

Our peak time number is ~12400, which was reached two hours ago.

Currently there are 12154 players connected to a DayZ server.

make that 12155 im just about to rejoin :)

Congrats on finding DayZ before it became popular?

But don't be so selfish' date=' if you don't want the rest of the world to enjoy the game you play, go find a new more obscure game. Enjoy DayZ for the experience you get while playing, not for how many people know or don't know about it.

[/quote']

Nailed it.

I think you both missed my point. Or maybe I didn't express it correctly. I'm not upset that it became so popular, and that I want it all to myself. Far from it. I'm fearful of the inevitable backlash that will come from dayz becoming so popular so quickly. It happens in pop culture all the time. And, I'm wondering if the over saturation in the media lately, is that tipping point for dayz.

My post was more directed at esaciar's comment "Part of the draw is that 'cult/underground' perspective"

You might be onto something, but really whats the worst that can happen? It's not like Rocket has investors and has to meet deadlines and please his publisher. This started as (and still is) a free mod, any publicity is good publicity.

well i guess what youll see next are not headhunter trying to snatch rocket away but simple clones that are being started right now to hit the bargain bin by xmas..

i dont see a problem with the media.. the way samdbox games work is that every session is unique.. everyone experiences something different and that leads to unlimited funny,sad and crazy stories.

alot of dayz player spend their time off game talking about it, posting about it or watching videos of other players..

its a bit like facebook during a zombie apocalypse..

and a huge benefit to the devs is that its an mod because they can fuck around with every crazy idea they have and just do it and see the outcome.. there is not a myriad of leads, head, managers etc. you need approval from before you even hit a key on the keyboard..

this is an experiment and as a dev myself i can say that being free in your creativity is the greatest joy you can have.. one of the reasons so many go indie or do mods like this one.. no one cares about businessplan, monetarization, risk or whatever..

this is the purest form of game developement.. so let the media cover it because its awesome to work out of the box..

ONLY 230k users for A MODIFICATION?

Are you fucking serious?

What he meant was, that while there is a lot of users for a mod, considering the coverage that it's getting (and as rocket pointed out the influx of new sales and what not) that you'd think that it had a lot more players. It's about its reception/coverage, not that it's a mod.

Hope that made sense and cleared it up!

Personally I think mods need MORE coverage. I've seen a lot of good mods die because no one cared about them. If DayZ gets coverage and more players then it gets support which encourages rocket to continue work on it beyond his own interests! (hopefully!)

What I think is most important is that people don't play it BECAUSE it's popular, and then complain because it's not their type of game. There are A LOT of good suggestions floating around here that get sunk by "carebear" comments because people think those ideas are trying to change the mod instead of enhance it.