thoxon

is dayz becoming over saturated in the media?

Everyday it seems like all the major gamer sites have a new article on dayz in some form or fashion. Granted, its an amazing mod. I love it. But, there's only around 230,000 users right now. You would think the mod has millions of users with all the press coverage its getting. I'm just wondering at what point all the coverage starts having a reverse effect where people start hating it just because its becoming "hipster" in a sense. Like that cool indie band who everybody raves about but in reality dosent have a big following.

How long before all the hype dies down? Its showing no signs of slowing down on steam sales, but at some point its going to reach its ceiling. How many users you think that's going to be? 400,000? 1 million?...

ONLY 230k users for A MODIFICATION?

Are you fucking serious?

I don't want it to appeal to the masses. Part of the draw is that 'cult/underground' perspective that the community has actively promoted and fostered.

We don't like outsiders...

Lol

I think it's not so much the size, as the rapid growth (much more than ArmA2 on it's release), and its method of growth, that has surprised everyone.

I also think that many people overestimate the quantity of sales that a game usually makes. A very small number of games are responsible for most sales. Having your game sell over 500,000 copies in it's lifetime is a significant achievement for ANY game studio. A large number of the unique ID's are new copies, somewhere in the region of 170,000 or so. And that's been in just about two months. Also, the fact the game is very old (relatively speaking) and is outselling new releases - people want to know why.

Are you fucking serious?

What?

Are you thinking there are 1 million users in this game?

Are you fucking serious?

What?

Do you even know what a mod is?

Are you fucking serious?

What?

I know, but the way you saying is like you are expecting more users than 230k. If that is not your point, then ok, my mistake.

Are you fucking serious?

And that number isn't necessarily correct anyway' date=' things like that change all the time.

[hr']

Are you fucking serious?

What?

I know' date=' but the way you saying is like you are expecting more users than 230k. If that is not your point, then ok, my mistake.

[/quote']

The way he's saying it is more like it's a huge number for a mod.

Are you fucking serious?

What?

I know' date=' but the way you saying is like you are expecting more users than 230k. If that is not your point, then ok, my mistake.

[/quote']

No worries. Just meant that this isn't something you see often these days where "DLC ONLY NO MODS ALLOWED" rule the gaming industry.

Day Z and BI deserve the publicity.

nice statistics..

now what if ToH got on sale, and all that people bought it for the better clouds in dayZ?

that would be awesome when all these people someday notice what they really have: Full scale Heli / Milsim!!! holy crap ^^

Congrats on finding DayZ before it became popular?

But don't be so selfish, if you don't want the rest of the world to enjoy the game you play, go find a new more obscure game. Enjoy DayZ for the experience you get while playing, not for how many people know or don't know about it.

DayZ got way too popular way too quick. I preferred it when the sensible people were the gist of the forums, and someone could come up with an idea and work with the community until it was ironed out into something that could work.

The rest if the world shouldn't feel the need to change a game that attracte such loyalty in the first place...I think that was the point.

If a core element believe in a concept, it is deeply uncomfortable to see that warped by others who haven't been there through the earliest birth pangs.

Like watching your girlfriend become a sex symbol and seeing her exploited by an industry.

Just my pseudo psychological evaluation.

Congrats on finding DayZ before it became popular?

But don't be so selfish' date=' if you don't want the rest of the world to enjoy the game you play, go find a new more obscure game. Enjoy DayZ for the experience you get while playing, not for how many people know or don't know about it.

[/quote']

Nailed it.

Well, if there is ever the need for evidence that the core concept is alive and well - 1.7.1 will be it.

I mean, shit. Starting players aren't going to have a weapon. That is fucking cruel!

It's bloody realistic.

I don't have a handgun within a 20 mile radius of me.

Although our neighbouring town is dodgy, do they could be present there...

The rest if the world shouldn't feel the need to change a game that attracte such loyalty in the first place...I think that was the point.

If a core element believe in a concept' date=' it is deeply uncomfortable to see that warped by others who haven't been there through the earliest birth pangs.

Like watching your girlfriend become a sex symbol and seeing her exploited by an industry.

Just my pseudo psychological evaluation.

[/quote']

So... you'd rather lock your girlfriend in a dark basement somewhere and hide her from the world? LOL

Rocket isn't being exploited by the media hype. And your girlfriend loves all the attention, what girl doesn't?

Touché!

Rocket has far broader shoulders than I and is a credit to himself, BI and this community.

I would never suggest otherwise.

What I don't like is newcomers who feel we are obliged to follow a mainstream path.

It seems...arrogant.

I hear that, all these posts that translate to "If DayZ is going to be a successful game, you have to add everything we see in COD!" really piss me off too. Makes me wonder why they thought they'd like the game in the first place.

Well' date=' if there is ever the need for evidence that the core concept is alive and well - 1.7.1 will be it.

I mean, shit. Starting players aren't going to have a weapon. That is fucking cruel!

[/quote']

I think this is a big step in the right direction, but I also think this won't stop the bigger issues. Any bandit clan worth their salt has enough guns to stock up an army already.

I don't like it, I doubt you like it, but I'm definitely saying we need to go all out server-wipe after this update is established as working.

Well' date=' if there is ever the need for evidence that the core concept is alive and well - 1.7.1 will be it.

[/quote']

I think this is a big step in the right direction, but I also think this won't stop the bigger issues. Any bandit clan worth their salt has enough guns to stock up an army already.

I don't like it, I doubt you like it, but I'm definitely saying we need to go all out server-wipe after this update is established as working.

We're going off topic here, but why does it matter? You can walk around a coastal city and have basic guns in under 10minutes. Spend some time running to NW airfield, stopping at tree stands along the way, and you're armed with some of the best weapons in under an hour.

The problem was never that players were armed, it was that players with nothing to lose were armed. If you spawn with weapons, people don't care about dying until they have a better weapon. It'll be the same with no weapon, but your no longer a threat to people who DO want to survive.

230.000 Players are a lot for a PC only today.

And for a mod it's just crazy.

And imo the main reason for all the attention DayZ get from Press and Interwebs is, they can't believe it.

People actually playing a game like DayZ.

People loving the "hardcore" in DayZ.

We Gamers aren't the dumped down button smashers the major publishers keep telling us we are.

Because we have to buy their dumped down button smash games with autohealth, autosave, autocover and content ripped because of DLCs with no Mod or dedicated Server Support for 60 bucks and so on.

This makes the Press crazy :)

But' date=' there's only around 230,000 users right now.

[/quote']

IT'S A MOD.

It has as many users as Rift lol...

The mod BLEW the game up, big time. It's extremely innovative, thought provoking, and fun.

just compare to a triple A title like BF3. It has 'only' around 70k Users online.

So I guess this is kind of a maximum value for a pc shooter-ish game..

http://bf3stats.com/

I dont know how many users in DayZ are online, but even if its around 10000 Users.. that 1/7 of BF3, thats huge !!

how many people worked at bf3, how big was their marketing group, their budget their plans, and the game is out since 10/2011...

DayZ is a hardcore success and I guess all management in the business have crisis conferences and target meetings right now ^^

edited the numbers.. WOW thats so huge, I didnt know that!!

and guys one thing is for sure.. and the big companys would be stupid if this aint the case. they have possibly headhunters looking to hire rocket! I could nearly guarantee that.. and that we are still playing this mod is a sign that money 'doesnt talk' so much after all..

(But I hope the creator of the mod gets back something from it somehow - if its not only for the fans who will watch his upcoming projects closely, and all the fame he received..)

If I had the money and the big company I had hired this man! Of course the success of the mod is also a bit of luck and right timing - and in my eyes the arma game and explicitely the chernarus map are so perfect for this mod ( i dont believe I could get the same mood in any other game engine).. one must not be genius to see that. but that is not really important for a billion$ company. they see success - they buy success, or if too expensive, they copy success.

I just hope they dont get overcrazy and just buy the whole BI Company ^^ (just kidding, but I hope they (BI and rocket and all these great guys) are financially independent - to be sure they are we should buy all their products - right now!)