Sign in to follow this  
wolfsone

Next Epic Map?

So I have been tossing the idea of what would be an epic map to play on and the first thing that came to my mind is a dense urban environment. Then I thought about what kind of urban environment are we talking about? We looking at a suburbia or a massive city? Possible a small city. But then it hit me. We have seen a lot of urban maps and dense city like maps. For example Fallujah, and the city of Vorkuta in Namalsk. I finally came to the conclusion recently of what the most epic map of all would be. New York City. Skyscrapers, dark alley ways, military checkpoints, and off course New York wouldn't be whole without Central Park. The subways would offer the underground base areas that people would be asking for, and the cities buildings would be rich with both loot and zombies. Imagine a map where you spawn in out front of an apartment with buildings lining the streets. Apartments, office buildings, tv and radio stations.

Just picture the first thought you would have when you come into a world of burning buildings in complete blackout in the middle of the night. The streets lit by the embers of the destruction that took place only days earlier. Vehicles destroyed and crashed into each other. Bodies littering the streets at ever turn. You check the nearby buildings for survival gear and start heading down the road just to come across what looks to be a military check point. Military zeds line the hastily constructed towers and barbwire with hummers blocking the roadway. United States Marines or Soldiers who once attempted to stop the carnage and the spread of the zombie virus now lay dead at the feet of dozens of zombies.The first thing that comes to mind. A gun... but how do I approach without being seen. Then you hear a loud engine and see a hummer driving through the checkpoint from the other direction with a 50 cal mounted on top gunning the zombies down in front of. They stop right in front of you and three men jump out armed with M16 and M4 variants in MARPAT uniforms and tell you to get in. and your off. Wondering what will come next.

Who will you meet, Will everyone be this friendly or is there a battle to be had. You pass through time square and they reveal to you their plan. They are heading to Central Park. There is a massive military camp set up there for refuges and Marines and Army Reserves who were stationed in New York to contain the spread of the zombie apocolypse that was unfolding before the eyes of the world. The virus has spread from the middle east and Russia and now its on our home front. What will happen next. Who will you meet next and will you be as fortunate as you were when the Marines showed up to whisk you away from the lost and terrifying position you were in.

post-27045-0-09696900-1353318350_thumb.j

Edited by Inception.
Added a space between appropriate text. Makes it easier to read.

I would also like to see DayZ have the option to take place in an urban setting too - however, I'm not entirely sure (not being a map-maker, or anything) on how easy it would be to design a massive map, with enterable multi-story buildings?

Too ambitious far too ambitious. You can make virtually anything but...

Your talking FPS nightmare even on NASA gaming P.C.'s

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

Too ambitious far too ambitious. You can make virtually anything but...

Your talking FPS nightmare even on NASA gaming P.C.'s

That's what i say all the time, most people can't even run Crysis 1 on their PCs let alone ArmA 2 with enough fps and they cry for bigger maps with more details...

Maybe Toyota can help out...

"Nothing is impossible"

Don't just include midtown Manhattan... At least include Brooklyn and Queens as the starting points. Manhattan's Central Park would be the new North West airfield, a huge military compound :D

Edited by Sutinen

Dead Linger maps are said to be huge, but I think they will lack features to the scale as DayZ. There is nothing wrong with vision, but when you can't or don't have the ability to create this then it becomes a dream.

I dream all the time for a Dog's Bollocks Map, One where every player can find what he needs, Take on Helicopters has a Seattle map and its great but start adding fire and smoke and enterable buildings and its just unplayable for most players, which is a shame, yet Minecraft can run even on a mobile phone and look how big them maps are.

When the P.C. killers like Crysis came out I was fortunate to have the funds to upgrade, but it taught me not to do it again, because as long as you can run something with decent FPS then why fork out hundreds for a part time experience. The Games industry moves so fast and It is very expensive to keep up which is why i am surprised when a console game comes out and all that uses is what it has with an update now and again.

I wish it was easier to make maps for ARMA 2 also.

Check out Take On Helicopters, Dayz standalone will be using the same engine. Take on Helicopters has an extremely large map of Seattle.

While not every building is in 3D there are large portions of the town which have been built up to scale in 3D.

A group of skilled map creators could possibly take portions of the Seattle map and turn it into a great dayz adaptation with enter-able buildings

EDIT: Beaten to the punch with the above comment about Seattle map.

But due to it's immense size it would have be small concentrated areas of that map to keep it from destroying every computer around. A few square KM's of downtown could provide an interesting experience

Edited by RuecanOnRails

Yeah, my computer would probably crash before I even got to play it though.. Not even the optimized DayZ standalone can make it better for me.