Sign in to follow this  
Dabaroony

A few ideas for items and game mechanics. Brainstorm! Synergy!

Headlamp

Possible common/uncommon lootable item to replace the function of a flashlight while staying more or less on your reticle while running or firing, also making your head a very unhappy target. Kind of an intermediate between a flashlight and NVGs.

Ballistic Helmets

Could be an uncommon/rare find, used to deflect one low-powered/long-distance/glancing shot to the head, rendering the player unconcious but perhaps giving his crew a chance to counter the attack or revive the victim and get to safety before another shot is lined up.

Tobacco

Now, I've searched and searched for plausible arguments for this throughout the forums, but everyone who seems to like the idea of using tobacco in-game wants to do so simply to look cool while playing. But I propose adding tobacco to residential loots spots for these reasons:

1) Nicotine has known anti-inflammatory properties, and tobacco had been used in poultices for wounds for thousands of years.

2) Nicotine has well-known stimulant properties; it causes the release of glucose and epinephrine (which is already used in the game to treat shock and unconsciousness) and leaves noted effects of relaxation and calm alertness. (And that's not just for smokers; I sure as hell remember my first cigarette)

3) Nictotine is known to decrease appetite and increase metabolism, which could be used as a quick fix to curb hunger but cause it to decline more rapidly when the effects have worn off.

4) You could have negative effects from its use. You know, for the kids.

5) IT'S ABUNDANT AS FUCK.

And, in my own opinion, it would add greatly to the immersion of the game to have small choices such as taking up smoking, something that wouldn't be necessary but could affect your character's life in the long run, be it positive or negative. Sort of like Traits in Fallout.

Crippled Limbs

More than just broken legs. Break your arm = unable to use primary weapon, sidearm inaccurate. Broken rib, maybe reduced speed, take more damage from zombies?

More importantly, make crippled limbs harder to recover from. Not like hyper-realistic, but maybe the bone has to be set, and if you dont have morphine then it causes you to pass out, and then you continue to suffer effects for a day or two.

Suppressive Fire

Perhaps a BF3-esque mechanic to disorient people with suppressive fire. It would certainly help to balance out the fact that a decent sniper trumps almost anything.

Offhand Tools

I'd love to have my flashlight on while my pistol is drawn, or even a knife in my offhand to sink into a zombie's brainstem.

Combining Magazines

I have two clips; one with 4 bullets, one with 3. The capacity is 7. WHY NOT!? *edit* Better yet, make ammo and magazines separate items, and make magazines more rare.

Slower, more numerous zombies that only die from headshots

Yeah. I said it. Slower, easier to aggro, and they only die completely from a blow to the head. Way more intense.

I'll add more in edits, I'm losing focus.

Edited by Dabaroony
  • Like 8

ARMA 2 has the best suppression effect of all games i have played, you dont want to peek around a corner when the said corner is being barraged by gunfire and you know you will die instantly if you arent careful, so just put a lot of bullets towards the enemy to pin them down.

Combining Magazines

I have two clips; one with 4 bullets, one with 3. The capacity is 7. WHY NOT!?

I remember seeing this idea mentioned somewhere and there was a response saying that it would be eventually introduced.

I can't remember where, but yes, I wish we could do this. It'd be extremely helpful.

I think they have confirmed it with the magazines and bullets etc in an interview somewhere on youtube.

Interesting idea about tobacco, be cool to use as a kind of currency, reminds me of smokers from Waterworld.

Crippled limbs, for broken legs you could use crutches to walk as I hope morphine won't be an instant fix, as well as slings for arms.

Everything else thumbs up :)

Slower, more numerous zombies that only die from headshots

Yeah. I said it. Slower, easier to aggro, and they only die completely from a blow to the head. Way more intense.

o hell no, dear god, do not employ this. i, and pry some others, get so jumpy when im spooked/scared/creeped out, i fling lead at zed at random. it works, and id like to keep it that way. i cant line up a cqb headshot under pressure for the life of me

Edited by Perigrin
  • Like 1

crafting stuff from broken mirrors and scrap or maybe wood to peak around corners or atach helmets or hats as bait etc.. take your pick if you have watched enemy at the gates you know what i am referring to.

p.s.sorry for my bad english

I think they have confirmed it with the magazines and bullets etc in an interview somewhere on youtube.

Interesting idea about tobacco, be cool to use as a kind of currency, reminds me of smokers from Waterworld.

Crippled limbs, for broken legs you could use crutches to walk as I hope morphine won't be an instant fix, as well as slings for arms.

Everything else thumbs up :)

I don't see tobacco working, if they did add tobacco they should have it like where if you smoke you run for a shorter period of time, your character may cough randomly (Causing players and infected to come looking).

I'm strongly against undead slow-zombies, too unoriginal, too easy, too unimmersive. The fast zombies who die like regular humans are cool, they just need to be revamped to be tougher, less buggy and more scary. walking dead zombies are all well and good, they just don't cut it in terms of scare factor and realism. If the zombies were slow and undead i would never play this game, the scares you get when you get chased by a horde through a forest at night, slow zombies could be a nice option for people who make servers though. Perhaps present an option for undead or infected when making a server.

Dunno why anyone hasn't mentioned this, but combining magazines is already in the mod and will probably be in Standalone. Simply right click your magazine and hit combine then boom, your magazines are combined for a full magazine.

I also don't think you need a mechanic for supressive fire, it already scares the living shit out of people when you spam bullets towards them, and has mental effects on them IRL(at least it does for me). Same argument against people who say we need to add a mechanic that freaks your character out in times of danger, majority of people I know say when they get in a firefight in DayZ they become scared and full of adrenaline.

• Like 1

The tobacco is an amazing idea because everything you said is actually true. And in foreign countries such as where the game takes place its a bit more normal to find the occasional tobacco plant.

Yes. All the way with ciggarettes! I want a huge fucking Cuban Cigar. The rarest type, hanging from my mouth while wearing my aviators. Killing off any bastard who looks at me funny...

ballistics idea is good, but instead of a single shot, it could be properly worked to be feasible and realistic using some elements of the current system. so the chance of rendering a character unconscious via shock is lowered, as well as the damage from the shot is lowered, both by a % based on the normal bullet to range mechanism.

tobacco idea is killer dude. really well thought out. one addition though, is a difference between wild tobacco, and the chemical treated tobacco. iv never even tried the real deal, but i sure as shit wouldnt go rubbing a broken up ciggarette onto my wounds lol. but hey, you could always use the chemical treated tobacco as poison, by soaking a large enough amount in water and getting someone to drink it :D. a little text based popup arises after drinking it, like they have sorta implemented into SA: 'this water tastes a little strange..' heh :P

everything else is pretty sick also.

Edited by tomfacekillahhh

Smoking should have negative effects, like coughing, get tired from running easier, run slower.

• Like 1

Smoking should have negative effects, like coughing, get tired from running easier, run slower.

we have weed you can smoke it as a painkiller

• Like 1

Suppresive fire is already in the game. Try shooting 1-3 shots around someone with rifle shots. Your aim will start flying everywhere and you won't be able to hit a crap from 150m and onwards with more than 50% accuracy.

Good sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Allow me to contribute.

- Items and inventory should be factored by weight. This seems obvious. I won't ever have to sacrifice something like a pack of cigarettes for any one item. Slot based inventories are weird and inauthentic.

- Very heavy, bulky items like car parts, wheels, construction materials, ect. Should only be transportable by carrying, with your own two bare hands, at the cost of speed and holding a weapon - or by vehicle or possibly load-bearing equipment.

- Large constructions should require multiple players to simultaneously interact with tools and materials to accomplish. They should NOT be removable except by demolition - i.e. satchel charges or other high powered explosives.

- Group spawning via lobby partying. Essential to building cooperative relationships and also allowing players who know each other to form groups more quickly than lone wolfs can pick them off.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

we have weed you can smoke it as a painkiller

I would grow my own weed in the apocalypse. Trade it for anything I need. People love that shit. They'd probably give a lot to get some in the middle of so much violence and horror. Lol.

Dunno why anyone hasn't mentioned this, but combining magazines is already in the mod and will probably be in Standalone. Simply right click your magazine and hit combine then boom, your magazines are combined for a full magazine.

Combining magazines wasn't in the mod 8 months ago when this thread was started.

Anywho, like all these ideas apart from Slow ass headshot only Romeroesque zombies, much prefer the dayz infected. 

• Like 1