dph314

...Um....orbs?

I just saw this for the first time. Two screenshots below show what I saw. They were these orbs of light that were around the zombies' heads. Every zombie in sight. Even ones not in sight. The orbs even highlighted the zeds that were blocked from my direct line-of-sight by trees and even land. Has anyone seen this before? Glitch maybe? Made things a hell of a lot easier, ha. But the server was restarted shortly after taking these screenshots and I didn't get a chance to ask the server name before I got booted.

I get that, though it only shows on the sides of my screen until I look at the object emitting these "orb" lights.

So it acts like an off-screen zed type of radar for you?

It works on other players even, and working vehicles.

So is this a glitch? Or some 'Super-Easy Mode' that I don't know about that can be activated server-side?

Its intende to "simulate" peripheral vision since fov in games are very low compared to a humans normal fov and then added peripheral vision. It is supposed to just be there when there is something in your peripheral vision then when you look at the object it should fade out

it's not a glitch, it's a server running basically the default settings. people turn that off after awhile which really annoys me but hey, I can play without it so it's not a big deal.

I have it in DayZ on most servers, but never on objects that are actually IN my field of vision.

That is when the server is set to recruit difficulty. It is trying to emulate peripheral vision. It the server was set to expert or higher you would not see this. Same as you would not see the green cross hairs.

It is a part of Arma 2.

Ah, so it's left over from Arma2? Well, these orbs definitely didn't go away when I looked at the zeds. In fact, there were no orbs along the border of my screen. I only saw them when I was looking at the zeds. So it's just a rare setting that 90% of servers disable? Played dozens of servers over my 100 hours of gameplay, never seen 'em before.

Edit: Ok. Yeah I don't play many 'Recruit' servers, so that might be why I never saw them. But they didn't go away at all when looking at the zeds.

They are also meant to be used as a target indicator, hence the recruit setting...