kilmannan

Adjustments to fall damage needed

So I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm pretty confident that I can step off a height of five feet and land without collapsing in a heap and falling unconcious.

I understand the dynamic of the damage system in use, but really, either it needs to be improved or things such as fall damage need to be reassessed.

• Like 1

It's fallout from the Arma system...was always pretty sensitive.

It might be adaptable, but I can't see much being done aside from an extra foot or so.

One of my friends seems to be having success avoiding/reducing fall damage by going prone right as he steps off the edge.

I have not attempted it.

With a full backpack & stuff, 5 feets. Ouch.

Well i get the carrying lot and falling 5 feet, but falling of say some stairs at the third step? come on you'd roll over its about it.

Plus I have been gear-less and fallen of few steps and broke a bone.

Infact I broke a bone while pitching a tent one time lol.

I've lost 2000 blood and broken my legs whilst climbing up a ladder with a friend. Go figure.

Anyway, yeah the fall damage is a bit odd. Seems to be a certain distance threshold under which you'll land safely without damage, and over which you'll collapse, break your legs and pass out for a while.

I was coming down the stairs in a barn and was about 3/4 steps from the bottom, when a zombie I hadn't noticed startled me. To avoid his attack I went off the edge of the stairs and to my complete shock I broke a leg from the fall. So going by the experience, I would concur that the damage to fall ratio could do with some tweaking. However I do not expect to jump from 5ft with a full pack and not be f**ked up after the fall.

I was coming down the stairs in a barn and was about 3/4 steps from the bottom' date=' when a zombie I hadn't noticed startled me. To avoid his attack I went off the edge of the stairs and to my complete shock I broke a leg from the fall. So going by the experience, I would concur that the damage to fall ratio could do with some tweaking. However I do not expect to jump from 5ft with a full pack and not be f**ked up after the fall.

[/quote']

You know paratroopers are trained to be able to fall 40 feet with a gun without injuring themselves. I'm sure it's not too unreasonable that you could go 5 feet with a heavy backpack perfectly fine.

The problem is of course the stiff model doesn't know how to brace for the impact and release the energy. It's something even an untrained kid can do on smaller jumps (I jumped 10 foot heights when I was 11 years old)

THIS GAME SIMULATOR. IN REAL LIFE A 3 FOOT FALL BREAK ALL BONES, CAUSE CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER, AND KILL 3 KITTENS. U CANT TAK IT? GO BACK TO COD CAREBEAR

HURRRR

DURRRRRRRRRR

THIS GAME SIMULATOR. IN REAL LIFE A 3 FOOT FALL BREAK ALL BONES' date=' CAUSE CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER, AND KILL 3 KITTENS. U CANT TAK IT? GO BACK TO COD CAREBEAR

HURRRR

DURRRRRRRRRR

[/quote']

^^ This. You can also beat fall damage with practice.

You can easily fall 5 feet in DayZ and take no damage. Just run off the small plateau outside the glass warehouses, that's roughly one meter high, and you don't even stop running after that fall.

What's that? It doesn't seem like a meter drop? Well that's because you are too used to counter strike and COD I'm afraid. What you consider to be 5 foot drop is like a 25 foot drop. Consider the deer stands, which are a good 4 meters in the air. Falling from that height would cause considerable damage without substantial bracing. And guess what, you can't brace in this game. As far as the game is concerned, you simply ran off from that height, and kept running in the air, and then slammed into the ground.

I should be amazed at the fanboys who defend arma2's environmental damage. But I'm used to this level of idiocy now.

It's not idiocy. Some of us have been with the game longer than the DayZ mod, and don't hold it up against BF3 and COD as a yardstick.

Arma (and the entire back-catalogue for that matter) is about hyper-realism. And when you jump from a height carrying gear/weapons - you'll do damage.

Fact of life = fact of Arma.

I was coming down the stairs in a barn and was about 3/4 steps from the bottom' date=' when a zombie I hadn't noticed startled me. To avoid his attack I went off the edge of the stairs and to my complete shock I broke a leg from the fall. So going by the experience, I would concur that the damage to fall ratio could do with some tweaking. However I do not expect to jump from 5ft with a full pack and not be f**ked up after the fall.

[/quote']

You know paratroopers are trained to be able to fall 40 feet with a gun without injuring themselves. I'm sure it's not too unreasonable that you could go 5 feet with a heavy backpack perfectly fine.

The problem is of course the stiff model doesn't know how to brace for the impact and release the energy. It's something even an untrained kid can do on smaller jumps (I jumped 10 foot heights when I was 11 years old)

40 feets ? that's 13 meters almost a 3 storey building. Maybe they are trained to minimize the damage on impact. but there is no way it is something they could do voluntarily as the risk of broking something is very high.

Consider the deer stands' date=' which are a good 4 meters in the air. [/quote']

They most certainly are not, unless everyone in Chernarus is also 4 meters tall. I fell off the third step of a barn and got knocked out. Are you going to say that all the steps are actually 50 feet high?

They most certainly are not' date=' unless everyone in Chernarus is also 4 meters tall. I fell off the third step of a barn and got knocked out. Are you going to say that all the steps are actually 50 feet high?

[/quote']

I crawled next to a tree and exploded. Are you going to attribute that to fall damage as well?

• Like 1

yeah try carrying 100 pounds of gear and falling 5 feet' date=' let us know how it goes.

[/quote']

No problem, but you get the same damage without carrying any gear.

Your argument is invalid.

THIS GAME SIMULATOR. IN REAL LIFE A 3 FOOT FALL BREAK ALL BONES' date=' CAUSE CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER, AND KILL 3 KITTENS. U CANT TAK IT? GO BACK TO COD CAREBEAR

HURRRR

DURRRRRRRRRR

[/quote']

^^ This. You can also beat fall damage with practice.

I didn't think anybody could possibly be dense enough to mistake my satirical post as my actual opinion, but I have been proven wrong.

HURRRR

DURRRRRRRRRR

[/quote']

haha i lold ^^

yeah maybe they could retweake the system inside arma 2.. could also be handily for the new arma 3 system!

yeah try carrying 100 pounds of gear and falling 5 feet' date=' let us know how it goes.

[/quote']

You really think that 2 cans of beans and a couple mags of pistol ammo equate to 100 pounds of gear? Where would you even acquire 100 pounds of gear in in the DayZ world? The survivors clearly aren't wearing the 50 lbs of body armor that the military is equipped with otherwise they wouldn't instant-bleed the second a zombie glared at one.

It's not idiocy. Some of us have been with the game longer than the DayZ mod' date=' and don't hold it up against BF3 and COD as a yardstick.

Arma (and the entire back-catalogue for that matter) is about hyper-realism. And when you jump from a height carrying gear/weapons - you'll do damage.

Fact of life = fact of Arma.

[/quote']

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Trying to defend obviously buggy shit as realism. The environmental damage in arma is shit, and ANYONE who isn't a fanboy (including people who enjoy the game otherwise) knows it.

[/quote']

You really think that 2 cans of beans and a couple mags of pistol ammo equate to 100 pounds of gear? Where would you even acquire 100 pounds of gear in in the DayZ world? The survivors clearly aren't wearing the 50 lbs of body armor that the military is equipped with otherwise they wouldn't instant-bleed the second a zombie glared at one.

Yea I lol'ed at that too. Some fanboys are beyond help.

40 feets ? that's 13 meters almost a 3 storey building. Maybe they are trained to minimize the damage on impact. but there is no way it is something they could do voluntarily as the risk of broking something is very high.

It involves a roll to distribute the energy, it could be impossible to do it on a hill depending on how it's shaped, and a large backpack would probably seriously impede it. It might not be something they go out of their way to do on missions, but they are trained for and can do it.

[/quote']

Army soldiers do it all the time. Five feet is a piece of cake, seriously, that's what you get climbing over a decent-sized wall and it does not result in instant death even with a heavy load. I also think your average DayZ survivor would be hard-pressed to carry more than 50lbs at most of gear on him anyways.