Sign in to follow this  
sneekygreenman

Basic Terrain changes to NWAF in SA

Ok, first up, I am not suggesting we add hills and s^^" where there isnt :P

I have done the whole NWAF run more than a few times, iv'e been sniped there and I have sniped there. However I think some basic changes might make this area even more interesting.

1. The zombie apoc has gone down, people are fleeing in their hundred trying to escape their once living family and friends. The NWAF, as a military airport would be a piority area to escape too. Hundreds would have fled there in an attempt to get on the last planes out of the country.

WHAT THIS WOULD MEAN:

-The roads approaching the airfieild should be packed with burnt out cars, maybe at the last minute the military had opened fire on the cars out of fear. These wrecks should spawn a low amount of zeds, but provide cover on the road into the airfield.

2. Airplanes would have been landing to bring in military supplies and taking off to evacuate civies, and upper-class.

WHAT THIS WOULD MEAN:

-The actual airfield would probably have the wrecks of the last planes, the ones that didnt make it out before the horde came. Maybe some didnt even make it out of the hangers?

-Some of the stranded military might not have been too fond of being left behind and shot at the planes before they could take off, perhaps damaging controls and wheels, thus they swerved, maybe one even plowed into the control tower. As for the actual planes, everything from C-130's to the 747.

Opinons?

• Like 3

I do rather like that idea. It would be nice and have a legit reason for more cover on the NWAF... even if there was just one crashed C130 halfway down th runway or something.

WHAT THIS WOULD MEAN:

The roads approaching the airfieild should be packed with burnt out cars

Zombies aren't ladled with explosives, and don't breathe fire.

There would not be burnt out cars.

• Like 1

Interesting idea. I can remember watching a clip on YouTube some time ago which had at least one wrecked Humvee near the airfield.

A player was using it for cover/concealent as well a reference point for guiding teammates. It took me a little time to realize it, but the wreckage made the clip seem that much more realistic and natural, rather than just a sterile runway and road system.

More chaos is good and within bounds of the scenario of an apocalypse.

The fires could have been started out of frustration, but i would sooner see more lootable cars on roads.

If memory serves, I'm sure I've seen/read comments in interviews with rocket where he's mentioned making crashed vehicles lootable. Most likely for low-value supplies and whatever vehicle parts you can salvage.

This along with making more (most) of the vehicles you come across more than simply fixed, decorative, burnt-out wrecks. would seriously improve the apocalyptic, "where the fuck is everyone?" tones and provide possible links to DayZs, as of yet, untold backstory.

Good idea! I think that there should be vehicle crash sites all over the map. A C-130 Crash site would be cool, maybe if it was like a helicopter crash site that had like a 1 in 10 chance of spawning after a server restart.

Zombies aren't ladled with explosives, and don't breathe fire.

There would not be burnt out cars.

Very true mate, my thinking was perhaps the military watching the checkpoints had been startled into firing upon the lines of desperate people and perhaps the fire had spread.

The aim of this would not to "care bear" the NWAF, but instead to make it even more dangerous, all of these crashes, spawning zombies, while leaving tons of corners, shadows and fire paths.

Perhaps a C-130 went down in some of the fields to the north? Would provide a land-mark and perhaps even a base of operations if it could be cleared out. This sort of thing is what is required to amke chernurus more alive/dead to us all, because, have you ever seen an airport without a single vehicle on it?

2. Airplanes would have been landing to bring in military supplies and taking off to evacuate civies, and upper-class.

Oh why do i always read "I want more military loot" in this sentence...or am i just paranoid?

• Like 1

Even if they only included more cargo containers / storage crates and pickups / trucks across the actual airfield, it would fill up the massive blank space.

It's not like the runway will be needed in DayZ, it just turns into a killing field if you're not careful. More cover would be a welcome addition.

If, like others have mentioned, random spawning objects could be introduced, to keep things interesting the cover could be made unpredictable.

Oh why do i always read "I want more military loot" in this sentence...or am i just paranoid?

Ah no, no, no, less M4's, more side-by-sides please :P I meant that planes would be both comign and going, not necessarily military loot points. goodness knows the less automatics and high-cal weapons, the better...

Where's the long grass? I was expecting my long grass!

And please have the render distance increased as well....beeing able to see someone proning in knee high grass or in the woods 500m away is just ridicolous...

• Like 2