andris.orinskis@gmail.com

DayZ standalone non-outcry discussion.

So WHAT DayZ standalone will be?

"Whatever you say it is, it isn’t" says Rocket, but he doesn't really elaborate on what it really is.

Sure, more server-side processing means much less vulnerability to hacking; probably much better performance as-well (if properly optimized). But what does it mean for casual players? Should I bother how in-game mechanics are handled? I don't think so.

In my last post I tried to share my opinion, on what I've seen published so far - that is few DayZ standalone screen-shots with some buildings and interior. Forgive me, but those screen-shots reminded me all square-shaped meshes and plain textures of HalfLife1 era, when home/gaming PCs were relatively weak, and it WAS the best game industry was able to offer (top home-PC CPU available would be something like 400MHZ Pentium2, normally would have 32MB-64MB RAM, and I believe 128MB was MAX installable RAM with those CPU). And now looks on that TV, furniture, doors etc...

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s48150/DayZ_13503181652766.jpg

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s48150/DayZ_13503181655087.jpg

It looks pretty simple, plain and NOT impressive.

As soon as I posted this opinion, my post was graved, and DayZ forum team members called me a troll, and started trolling me back! :)

Troll. With that amount of wrongness in one thread it simply has to be a troll.

Also, OP - It's not sticking to the Arma 2 OA engine.

read up a bit on modelling before complaining "plain cube meshes and rectangular textures"

that doesn't mean it's using the ArmA 2 engine.

Well, I admit I don't develop games myself, and I'm no 3D designer :) Should every gamer be? Interesting opinion...

Let's learn what engine DayZ standalone is using, shall we? :)

In his interview to onlinewelten.com Rocket said

OW: Engine Keyword: What will you use for the DayZ standalone? Takes her back to the new arms-3-Engine or even developed their own?

Dean 'Rocket' Hall: As a general basis will continue to serve the Arma-2 engine, but we will remove virtually as separate branch of it. We will implement some of their own ideas and elements, but we will take as well as things from Arma third

Wikipedia says that DayZ standalone will be built using Real Virtuality 3 engine. And it is engine used for....

So it IS ArmA2 engine, right?

I guess all those pro 3D modellers from DayZ mod forum team are just confusing engine with architecture :) DayZ standalone will have hugely changed and optimized architecture of ArmA2. It won't let gamers to modify game-world as freely as ArmA2 does (you remember all those hacker-spawned vehicles and weapons, teleporting and killing players, nuking whole servers etc.). And this is a time to let them know that architecture is not equal to engine.

Now, to me, it looks like DayZ standalone will have same graphics as ArmA2/Arma2:OA. Which, actually, was a point of my original post :)

Actually, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong here, and DayZ standalone will have new/reworked shaders, meshes, textures, trees&grass, water, animation, physics etc. I really don't think Bohemia Interactive wants to release in the end of year 2012 a game that looks like a game from 1998, and DayZ standalone doesn't deserve to look like a game from 1998. I will really appreciate if anyone can post screenshots of new, better graphics in DayZ standalone.

• Like 1

Oh god, here we go again. Good luck OP...

Edit - OP, you seem very good at finding sources and quotes and equally as good at mis-representing them. The images you have linked to were released to show some of the new interior modelling BEFORE any additional artwork/atmosphere/textures have been added. It clearly says that in the Tumblre dev post that you keep quoting from. If you're going to keep using these sources please quote correctly because I don't have time to keep correcting you.

Edited by Fraggle

Those graphics looks alright to me. It's quantity over quality.

• Like 1

The images you have linked to were released to show some of the new interior modelling BEFORE any additional artwork/atmosphere/textures have been added. It clearly says that in the Tumblre dev post that you keep quoting from. If you're going to keep using these sources please quote correctly because I don't have time to keep correcting you.

depicted indoor environments lack detailed lighting and texturing passes so far

Well, how detailed lighting and texturing passes will improve the dirt in left corner of this room?

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s48150/DayZ_13503181658245.jpg

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I, honestly, missed that.

Imo Dayz is all about the emotional responses from all the different situations i find myself in. not the mechanics and graphics. Im not saying I wouldnt or dont want better of both. Its just not a priority in my book.

Make dayz look like bf3 and half the community wouldnt even be able to play it.... Or the maps would need to be as big football field

I still play zelda on nes every now and again. Do i care it looks like dog shit? no sir but it still thrills me. If amazing graphics is what your looking for than I agree your at the wrong place. Possibly the wrong state of mind also.

• Like 2

The photos shown were identical to what we already have in DayZ, and were also stated that they were an unfinished product. Though unfortunately don't expect much of an improvement to the finished product. I don't think it will be very impressive graphically, I do wish it was though.

One caveat I forgot last time, the interiors do look very clean. Adding gore or deterioration can quickly be overdone, so we feel our first task is to create the interiors and ensure we are happy with the gameplay and quality of the basic texture work - then we will go through to add elements more authentic to the situation.

From the same page.... Also OP it may be worth reading the long thread on these very forum's created by Rocket to discuss the future "look" of the game. I doubt you'll be referencing that though because it's not in line with your opinions.

Edited by Fraggle

I doubt you'll be referencing that though because it's not in line with your opinions.

Oh, you might be surprised, but one-and-a-half months before the release (Rocket stated that standalone should be released before the end of 2012, right?) I'd expect not some under-rendered game design mockup screenshots, but some gameplay trailer.

From another point of view, if I'm not mistaken, it was stated that mod and standalone will go side-by side, with new features implemented into a mod first, to use it as a testbed. I was away for a month or so, and played DayZ again yesterday. And what do I see? Graphical glitches with barbwires (or whatever else is causing them) are not fixed. Cheaters are still in the game. Ammo still replenishes. There was something about adding dogs to the game, was it? Is it? And zombies still stop before attack. And you can't switch primary/secondary weapon on the run. And you can't use DMR 7.62 NATO round with FNFAL. And character can't jump. And now vehicle repairs won't work! Developers tweak gameplay, you say?.. This is all fine with a indie mod, bot not for a game released by BI in 2012!

I will get tired repeating myself, but I LOVE DAYZ MOD! Current water/grass/etc. graphics are GOOD for MOD. Good for a mod that was made for a few-years old game. BUT NOT FOR the end-of 2012 game!!! Especially with all the glitches mod still has.

Edited by Infineon

The Aplha of the Standalone will be released fairly soon. As we speak they are porting into the new engine.

For the latest mod update (last week) read here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103658-build-173-rolling-update/

And for the next one (including dogs) read here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103845-rolling-changelog-for-community-builds/

Also, if you've been away for a month I suggest just reading the forum's in general to keep up with what's going on. Private hives are considered the best way to enjoy DayZ currently. I haven't seen a hacker for over 6 weeks now and there's no item duping either.

With regards to trailers/movies and so on, the game has already got this far without a penny being spent on advertising. Pretty amazing really. I'm sure you'll get the video's you desire, WHEN THEY'VE ACTUALLY FINISHED MAKING THE GAME. xxx

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2