Sign in to follow this  
Daimyo21 (DayZ)

[Guide] Help Adapting to Arma Controls and First Person

This is just a quick mini-guide to many new players who want more immersion out of the game but are annoyed with Arma controls and enemy players using 3rd person peeking over walls, around corners to get their target.

Making First person more tolerable.

Options -> Game Options:

Head Bob = 0 (if you get motion sickness from first person)

Aiming DeadZone = 0 (Great for servers that disable crosshairs, This will make it so when you fire without ironsights, itll always be at the center of your screen)

Mouse lagging in First Person?

Goto Options -> Controls and turn OFF Mouse Smoothing.

Using L-Alt key lets you look around with your head. Double tapping L-Alt toggles this feature.

Q and E are great for peeking corners.

Dont know if your standing or crouching? Just press X or C again to switch stances.

Common Control binds:

Goto Options -> Controls

"Voice Over Net" I highly recommend UNBINDING.

This toggles VON to go on, many times people leave it on and they dont even know it. Thus breathing, talking through mic in-game and giving away their position.

"Push to Talk" is best bind to whatever your preference is. I use mouse 4.

"Switch gun / Handgun" and "Switch Weapon" is a great thing to bind to something convenient. This will make it easier to switch without scrolling through action menu.

"Use Selected Action" / "Use Default Action" May have a mouse3 bind to it. If you talk in TS/Vent/Mumble with mouse3, unbind this as it will be annoying as hell in game"

Hope this helps!

I dont know if it was just because of 1.7.1, but I saw a lot of servers convert to 3DP:Off today. If you prefer less 3rd person peeking around corners, above walls, people prone in a bush with ability to see you, or just want more immersion without being penalized for it but already have a server you call home. Make sure you email your server owner because alot of players in DayZ/Arma are new players and have no idea how to do this.