GodOfMoney

Does this look good for runing DayZ?

Hey,

I'm getting a custom built computer as we talk. Would those specs be able to run DayZ on the best settings and have a good fps?

Thanks. :)

Proc – i7 3.8 Ghz

Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit

32Gb ddr3 RAM

64 Gb solid state drive and 1Tb 7200 rpm hard drive (500Gbx2 – RAID 0)

AMD 7970 2Gb ddr5 Crossfire dual Video cards

• Like 1

The system is pretty good. However I would upgrade that SSD to at least 128 GB. 64 Gigs is a bit low for Win7.

FPS in DayZ oftenly depend on the server and it's load. So no guarantee there that FPS won't go down in certain situations.

• Like 1

lol are people posting specs now just to show off ! - me/ Jealous

If that setup doesn't run DayZ on good fps then it certainly isn't your computers fault.

Sometimes a crappy server can bog down everyone's fps.

How much does a set-up like that cost? £1300 odd?

The set up costs alot of money, but thanks for the help guys. Tommes, I will run windows 7 on the 1Tb 7200 rpm hard drive (500Gbx2 – RAID 0)

I live in Australia and do you guys know of any good servers I could play on when I get my new computer?

Edited by GodOfMoney

Lol, this is basically a little bit better that what my rig will be when I finally get the cash together for the big upgrade. Now I'm jealous...

The set up costs alot of money

Well, gee whizz, thanks for clarifying with the utmost detail.

Well, gee whizz, thanks for clarifying with the utmost detail.

Ok then, it was 2200$

Yeah, this thing will beat the crap out of DayZ.

Yep, it sure will.

Edited by Seth.

Tommes, I will run windows 7 on the 1Tb 7200 rpm hard drive (500Gbx2 – RAID 0)

Sorry Bro, but not that smart. Having the OS on a SSD will improve boot times and startup of ANY programm A LOT! If you don't install your OS on the SSD you could as well rip it out of your system.

• Like 2

Alright so:

The 32GB RAM you have is pretty much useless. There's no need to have that much RAM, no matter the game - 16GB is more than enough. I would recommend investing in an alright CPU cooler ( Corsair H70 or H100 even ) and simply use an i5 and then overclock it ( for example I have an i5-3500K and ive oc'd it to @4.5GHz without any problems. The graphics card is good, you will have a stable FPSon 60 ( Unless youre running a 120Hz screen) and it will most likely drop to around 50 in big cities.

My only recommendations would be to havr 16GB RAM, buy a proper CPU cooler and then overclock, and maybe if you're not happy with the setup you can always upgrade by buying a second 7970 and running them in crossfire.

Best of luck.

EDIT: FPS does depend a lot on the server you're on so it will unfortunately sometimes drop below 50 even, to around 35-45. This is however not your comps fault, but the server. Suggest finding a decent server that has auto restarts atleast each 12th hour.

Edited by pEar
  • Like 2

Alright so:

The 32GB RAM you have is pretty much useless. There's no need to have that much RAM, no matter the game - 16GB is more than enough. I would recommend investing in an alright CPU cooler ( Corsair H70 or H100 even ) and simply use an i5 and then overclock it ( for example I have an i5-3500K and ive oc'd it to @4.5GHz without any problems. The graphics card is good, you will have a stable FPSon 60 ( Unless youre running a 120Hz screen) and it will most likely drop to around 50 in big cities.

My only recommendations would be to havr 16GB RAM, buy a proper CPU cooler and then overclock, and maybe if you're not happy with the setup you can always upgrade by buying a second 7970 and running them in crossfire.

Best of luck.

EDIT: FPS does depend a lot on the server you're on so it will unfortunately sometimes drop below 50 even, to around 35-45. This is however not your comps fault, but the server. Suggest finding a decent server that has auto restarts atleast each 12th hour.

Ok, I was getting 16gb of ram because I thought that was enough, then they gave me an extra 16 gbs. It's a laptop and I don't think you can get that type of cooling in it. If you want to check it out it's a Alienware m18x upgraded. PS It's GodOfMoney I made a new account. :D

Edited by Seth.

Sorry Bro, but not that smart. Having the OS on a SSD will improve boot times and startup of ANY programm A LOT! If you don't install your OS on the SSD you could as well rip it out of your system.

Is it really that bad to run a OS on SSD? Do you think 64gbs is enough to put windows 7 on it? The computer is already being built, could I go buy an SSD and plug it in and use that?

Very nice system!!! I'm jealous and my system is new also...but for the cost of this I could build 4 more of mine

Is it really that bad to run a OS on SSD? Do you think 64gbs is enough to put windows 7 on it? The computer is already being built, could I go buy an SSD and plug it in and use that?

I run win 7 on my 64Gb SSD and it boots under 30 seconds with all start ups running, I'm ready to game in under a minute. Just don't defrag the SSD it works different than a HDD. It's actually better to run OS on a SSD, since they are alot more reliable now then they have been in the past.

• Like 1

I run win 7 on my 64Gb SSD and it boots under 30 seconds with all start ups running, I'm ready to game in under a minute. Just don't defrag the SSD it works different than a HDD. It's actually better to run OS on a SSD, since they are alot more reliable now then they have been in the past.

Thanks for the help. You have my beans!

Alright so:

Best of luck.

You have my beans too :)

You too. :)

Ye, there's no reason as to why you wouldnt run/install windows on the SSD. Just make sure you install games and such on your HDD, and not the SSD (You might have enough room for DayZ on the SSD, but its up to you).

• Like 1

seth

okay, your computer is overkill, especially with that i7, the SSD, the RAM, mostly everything.

lets get this topic over with.

your computer wins, and it will run dayz.

TOPIC OVERWITH

You should run everything on an SSD if you can. With 64 Gig this will NOT be possible. I have an 128 GB SSD with Win7, Arma2 CO and DayZ and a few minor programs installed and I have only 50 GB left. I'm already over 64 GB if you noticed with nothing big installed but Arma2 with 16.7 GB. Of course you can install other programs on you regular HDD, but won't have much of the speed advantage of the SSD when starting or running these....and that advantage is massive. You will never want any spinning disks if you once tasted something like an SSD!

Ye, there's no reason as to why you wouldnt run/install windows on the SSD. Just make sure you install games and such on your HDD, and not the SSD (You might have enough room for DayZ on the SSD, but its up to you).

Arma2 and DayZ profit from fast I/O speeds.