Lady Kyrah

It's better together

Here is a little suggestion i came up with to promote group play without... actually enforcing anything.

"It's better together!"

Basically when a player is near another player they get the following bonus:

-faster breathing recovery.

-lower hunger rate.

-lower thirst rate.

This could eventually stack, lets say up to 3 or 4?

This concept isn't new, it was promoted by the half life mod "frontline force" where they wanted to encourage teamplay rather than lone wolfing, without making it impossible.

And yeah i know it's not very realistic, but this is a symbolism to portray the sense of security brought by the feeling of not being alone, the feeling of empowerment of being part of a group, that kind of stuff.

It remains fairly open, doesn't tell you you have to be nice or not, it doesn't discriminate against bandits, it simply encourage you to find a friend to watch your back.

It's just an idea, you like or you don't.

Altho im a group player myself and normally aprove any way to encourage teaming up with strangers, this forces people to play in groups so.

No sorry. think on them poor lone wolves.

But yea its always better together

I see the same issue in all these ideas that offer incentives when people team up. Teaming up is already the best way to play this mod, you don't need extra incentives! Why doesn't it happen more frequently then? It's obviously not related to lack of incentives IMO.

Then comes the suggestions that say, more or less, difficulty should be enormous, challenging even for Bear Grylls, heh. Perhaps no even those how suggest it would want to play a mod like that.

I'm against any "planning" from above. there must be only a few rules, and they already exist. I don't want Day Z to turn into RPG

Glad your tackling this problem Lady Kyrah!

But I agree that the incentive should be less artifical.

Really the incentive for being in a group is all the natural benifits this incures - this is my attempt to use trust as a #incentive# catalyst to form groups:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12656

Oh i know being in a group already has incentive, the advantages i cited where merely an example, the idea to me was to try to find something subtle and not too "directed" that could make sharing a part of the journey with a total stranger a mutually beneficial experience. More beneficial than, lets say killing him and looting him.

I'm usually the first one to jump in a suggestion to burn it to the ground but i thought this was mild enough to be interesting.

I've been struggling with this game mechanic problem for quite a while, if you feel like reading about it: http://www.torquepowered.com/community/forums/viewthread/115631

actually in reality lone wolfs eat less and drink less because being together puts more strain on the brain.

it would be counter reality to make it so,

you might be faster at ease with some one than without some one but that is a personal thing and again real lone wolfs have not that much of a problem with it in real life.

(others might be a worry or burden which consumes more of you when you are a true lone wolf)

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10885&pid=118047#pid118047

in this post i wrote a mechanic that might help with forming a group and or meeting people for just one raid or walk.

Playing in a group already offers the support system, heightened security, and initial increase in resources that lone wolves don't have. They don't need any more incentives, especially not superhuman endurance and metabolic efficiency.

Oh boy I guess karma is biting me back this time :D

So, beside the boneheaded answers about strict realism, anyone want to comment on the possible benefits in gameplay flow?

Stop cramming metagame concepts into a zombie simulator.

You do not drink/eat less near people.

Of course you don't, it's a symbolic, arbitrary gain if you remain near other players, wether they are hostile or not is beyond the scope of this suggestion.

im all for encouraging more teamplay in this game but tbh dunno about this, maybe faster breathing recovery after panicking ( i think you start panicking near zombies when your blood is low, but i dunno if the effects last at all afterwards, if they did, recovery from this would make sense if it were faster in groups)

Just remember this suggestion is adding BENEFITS to working together and not adding penalties to the lone wolf style of play.

I understand that. Teaming up does not need any more benefits than it already offers. Also, it would have an impact on solo players by giving groups a greater advantage. That's why it's an incentive.

But at the same time if you play alone and far from anyone... why are you playing a multiplayer game? That's a waste fo resources to me.

the benefits are not good enough to have any effect on how much people group up, and if they were good enough they would be too good