Sign in to follow this  
DustnBonez

Compound Bows??

Hi all.. I just came back from my first boar hunting trip, and the first time I ever used a compound bow.. The funny thing was all I could think about was

"Imagine using one of these bad boys in DAYZ....."

post-58017-0-07391000-1351960367_thumb.j

post-58017-0-40500500-1351960384_thumb.j

• Like 6

I found a cross bow in a market the other day....have you seen one of those?

There has already ben sugested having bows.And i think its cool but some people just say that we dont need bows wen we have crossbows.

There has already ben sugested having bows.And i think its cool but some people just say that we dont need bows wen we have crossbows.

the problem with the cross bow is ammo count

• Like 1

Crossbows are designed to be powerful up close, but the small size of the bolt means they lack stopping power at longer ranges.

Bows are designed to be deadly accurate at medium range, with the long arrow allowing great stopping power and penetration. I'm British though, we mastered the art of the long bow in the middle ages.

I'd love to have access to a compound bow for taking out zombies at longer range before moving into supermarkets and such.

Maybe find them in medium and high value barns and farm houses.

More so, I'd love the ability to use the hatchet to harvest wood and the hunting knife to fashion a bow and arrows and basic bolts for the crossbow.

My two cents worth.

• Like 1

Wooden bolts would split in the crossbow we have in-game.

same goes for compound bows, if yah hit somthing hard it messes up aluminum arrows... i tried once using one o my kids wooden arrows in my 75lb eastern eagle... it shattered upon release. But im sure you could make good wooden arrows/bolts, the old ones were as heavy pull, if not more so than modern cross bows or bows... just slower release o elastic tension (they sprung slower, so uce a heavier arrow/bolt, travelling more slowly to get the energy... mind an old english long bow could be 90lbs plus.

Im all up for these, even suggested them+ variaty of tips at the standalone weapons thread were rocket was asking what new items to add.

What comes to the stopping power, modern bows are easyly same as rifles up to certain distance, with hunting tips it will be awesome player and zombie killer.

Good woodenarrows woudnt plit, poorly made crooked arrows wouldt work well. They break and wont fly remotely straight, so I woudnt be making much arrows for these bows straight away. Maybe for some low powered bow but then it has poor stopping power and range.

Carbon/Glassfiber arrows would work best, but again not the cheapest shit.

Also crossbows are ugly...

Edited by Zeppa

i tihnk its a good idea, i have a compound bow and it shoots through thick wood, it should obviously shoot through a zombies skull, definately my zombie defense weapon of choosing, not to mention quieter than guns.

i like the idea of having a compound bow in my arsenal. would properly be using one of these long time. only taking another weapon if it was a high power sniper-rifle. but how much damage would this do? it flies at roughly at about 15% the speed of non-SD assault rifle rounds. but the arrows weight is higher than a rifle round. i think it should do 6000 blood in damage. around the same as a Enfield (without the sound :D )

another thing you could do is mount a grenade/satchel charge or other explosives to the arrow. people have been doing that since explosives where invented (middle ages)

i don't think it shouldn't do more damage than a crossbow does 3555 i think 3200 should be goood enough when the target has a 80 % chance of bleeding after the hit it.

the bow should have an effective range of round about 200 to 300 m which is the avarage range of assault rifles and you fire the arrows from a quiver containing 10 - 20 arrows which act like a magazin, and should take 2 inventory slots.

think the should put these in need more was to take the Infected out quietly ;) also the crossbow should be made abit more rare than it is and then these bows made more common.

I really like this idea. I am a Bow user and I think this would be a great addition. In my one experience in using the crossbow it was quiet and deadly. The only downside is how much space the bolts took up in inventory and the bolts I shot into the zombie I wasn’t able to retrieve. If your quiver idea could be implemented and a percentage of arrow retrieval could, if not already, be simulated then this addition would be welcomed indeed.

Now for the sword…

Z.

but it would suck if you could not kill zombies with a single hit. currently the crossbow can do that because of a glitch. and that glitch would properly be gone in SA

i think its not that bad if you have to fire 2 arrows to a zombie because you got much more arows to fire and have a better rate of fire.

Bleeding and damage should be calculated by the tip the arrow had.

Cutting hunting tip would cause severe bleeding and even more severe when removed and so on.

Removing arrow from you limp should hurt like shit and you would have moderate change of passing out, severe bleeding even after removal of regular target arrow.

Edited by Zeppa

concussion tip (just made that one up) a tip that is not pointy but is made of steel. made to hit the target with minimum damage but have a high chance of making the target pass out (for heroes)

This kind of tip excists in RL, for knoking small prey unconsious.

These would be a good start.

http://okchampionarc...whead_types.jpg

Edited by Zeppa

my thoughts on the quiver are a little different than what you guys have posted.

i thought that maybe it could be kind of like a different backpack, you know, cuz you usually wear those on your back, but you would only be able to put the quiver on if you have the czeck vest pouch, because that backpack is so small and you could easily put a quiver over that. You wouldn't be able to do it for the other backpacks, except maybe the coyote pack because that is still a fairly small backpack.

because the way i see it, as you get later in the game, the bow wouldn't be as good as some of the other weapons you could find and by the time you get to that point, you would have a bigger backpack as well so it doesn't even really affect you as much. but at the same time, if you really like the bow and arrows you would have to sacrifice inventory space for the quiver. it even gives more options for a group setting, having someone as a dedicated marksman with the bow and have him take out the zombies and have someone else as the main equipment carrier.

Now, on the subject of making your own bow with the arrows. I can honestly see it happening, finding some rope or thick string and maybe a branch that you could cut and bend and BAM you have a bow, maybe not a good one but a bow none the less. Maybe a book learning method could be added, kind of like Skyrim, except instead of getting more points in heavy armor or what have you, you would understand better how to make your bow and arrows, so the next time you try, it would be of better quality.

A bow would be cool, but not a compound bow.

It would be better to have a recurve bow.

Edited by Lordsarito

Im all up for these, even suggested them+ variaty of tips at the standalone weapons thread were rocket was asking what new items to add.

What comes to the stopping power, modern bows are easyly same as rifles up to certain distance, with hunting tips it will be awesome player and zombie killer.

Good woodenarrows woudnt plit, poorly made crooked arrows wouldt work well. They break and wont fly remotely straight, so I woudnt be making much arrows for these bows straight away. Maybe for some low powered bow but then it has poor stopping power and range.

Carbon/Glassfiber arrows would work best, but again not the cheapest shit.

Also crossbows are ugly...

I think glowing nock arrows would be pretty good. They would lit up when you draw them back, will work something like tracers on bullets. Makes hunting and practice easier, since you see where you hit.

I think the colors should be like the chemlight's, blue, green and red glow nocks could be found.